Best Song of the 1970s Bracket - Born to Run wins!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Auroni
Auron

Re: Best Song of the 1970s Bracket

Post by Auroni »

Surrender vs. Right Place Wrong Time
Short People vs. Closer to the Heart - normally I'm all for manlet oppression, but "Closer to the Heart" is a better song
La Grange vs. All Right Now - "La Grange" brings back memories of Guitar Hero III, but sadly I never really liked it
Only the Good Die Young vs. Hello Darlin’
Mississippi Queen vs. Star Spangled Banner - "Mississippi Queen" is, like, fine. But it holds no candle to one of the defining events of American cultural history.
I’ll Be Around vs. Up Against the Wall
Search and Destroy vs. Mr. Big Stuff
American Girl vs. Whole Wide World - in the first online space I dedicated a lot of my life to (the CivFanatics forums), there was a girl who was obsessed with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, making a Tom Petty related thread every two or three days with pictures of all her memorabilia, records, basically building up an impossible amount of hype that deflated in an instant when, years later, I first listened to a Tom Petty song and found out that it was just merely just "pretty decent."
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Short People vs. Closer to the Heart
La Grange vs. All Right Now
Mississippi Queen vs. Star Spangled Banner
Search and Destroy vs. Mr. Big Stuff - hate to see the two songs I really like out of all these pitted against each other first round
American Girl vs. Whole Wide World
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I love both of these songs. RIP Dr. John.

Closer to the Heart probably is the best Rush song, but it's not a very good song.

I love both of these songs. Those bearded guys can play some guitar. This one was tough.

Only the Good Die Young by default. Hello Darlin' sucks.

I'm voting for Mississippi Queen, which is awesome, though I wouldn't be upset if Star Spangled Banner won the whole dang tournament.

Neither one of these is great. Up Against the Wall is very forgettable.

I love Mr. Big Stuff.

I like them both, but American Girl is much better.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

The only Rush song I even recognized when I was introduced to their Retrospective I compilation is now not even in my top half of tracks from A Farewell to Kings, but still gets my vote here.

First matchup between two great songs I've heard hundreds of times made this one almost a coin flip.

Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Featured in the all-time classic film Daddy Day Care.
Other people have probably noted this, but this is an incredibly unrepresentative Rush track. I see why you picked it, but no prog from probably the decade's premier prog band seems a bit wrong. Lucky for this matchup, this is one of the few Rush songs I like.
I love sad country ballads, but Hello Darlin' doesn't strike me as a particularly good one of those.
I knew Mississippi Queen would suck as soon as I saw the YouTube thumbnail picture of the band that plays it. I was not mistaken.
Also my first listen of this one; it's overtly anarchist and catchy enough that I fell in love right away.
I like the Stooges in general, but Search and Destroy will almost certainly win, this isn't my favorite track, and it's up against a very funky song so I'll vote against it.
I hadn't heard Whole Wide World before; I thought Wreckless Eric's voice was annoying and his lyrics were not good enough to redeem the song
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
AgathokakologicalPunk
Lulu

Post by AgathokakologicalPunk »

Surrender
Closer to the Heart
La Grange
Hello Darlin'
Star Spangled Banner
I'll be Around
Search and Destroy
American Girl
Ben
Harrison High School (IN) Quiz Bowl

"I will forgive you... this one time."
"In the absence of any real knowledge, we're going with Song's guess."
"They're naming their kids Bilhelm and JaQuarius; I'm naming mine Grey Poupon."
"And then I said Michigan is in Canada in front of the whole school. The next year, I won the Geography Bee and no one even knew."
"New Orleans commodities: stocks, jazz, and bees."
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Your ballot:

Short People vs. Closer to the Heart - Likely the funniest song of the decade
Rachel
UChicago 09
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Surrender vs. Right Place Wrong Time Big snoozefest here
Short People vs. Closer to the Heart Somebody please come wake up me
La Grange vs. All Right Now It's not ZZ Top's best song, but at least it's exciting
Only the Good Die Young vs. Hello Darlin’ Never thought I'd find a song that makes me feel compelled to vote for Billy Joel
Mississippi Queen vs. Star Spangled Banner One of these is a garden-variety classic rock song. The other is a defining cultural moment of modern America.
I’ll Be Around vs. Up Against the Wall sure
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

--That's a great Cheap Trick song, and they were a great band until after Dream Police.

--These are terrible song choices for both artists. Pretty much any song on Newman's Good Ole Boys is better than "Short People," which ended up being a novelty hit. I'm bummed that my late-June tickets to see Primus performing Rush's A Farewell to Kings in its entirety will likely be canceled, but surely "Fly By Night" is the best stand-alone song by Rush from the 1970s.

--Dang, doesn't get more 70s classic rock than this match-up.

--Billy Joel, meh

--What an unfortunate Hendrix "song" to be in this bracket! I mean seriously, has anyone ever just wanted to put that song on?

--sure, fine

--There's a good documentary on The Stooges on Amazon; you should watch it if you have access.

--This song should go a long way.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24 '28
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

Brings back memories of my undergrad quiz bowl playing days!

Similar to others this is the first matchup between 2 songs that I've heard a lot, as they were both staples on classic rock radio when I was growing up. I'm not a huge ZZ Top fan but I will give them the edge here.

Billy Joel is one of the few artists who my parents introduced to me as a kid whom I do not like much now. I would have chosen "Piano Man" for the tournament, but OTGDY is also one of his better songs. But I do like "Hello Darlin'" as well.

I've never really gotten into Jimi Hendrix's music.

Awesome that my favorite Tom Petty song was chosen! (and I can't think of a single Tom Petty song that I dislike)
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

I've never understood why people like Cheap Trick, and Right Place, Wrong Time has a great bass line.

I really like Rush and Closer to the Heart is a good song, but its not even the best Rush song on its album, much less the best of the 70s.

Hardest matchup of this round. I like Tush more than La Grange, which is basically just an uptemp version of Boogie Chillen, but it's got great guitar work, so it just beats out Free's best song. Sorry Paul Rodgers - maybe you'll get a second go-around with Bad Company.

Unfortunately most of Hendrix's good music came out in the late 60's.

1969 is the Stooges' best song, and Mr. Big Stuff weirdly reminds me of For Once in My Life.

A classic so good the Strokes literally ripped it off to make one of their best songs.
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Surrender -- To me, this is one of those songs that doesn't necessarily stick out musically, but I have pretty much never not enjoyed listening to it.
Right Place Wrong Time -- This is the first time I've listened to this song, and while it's not bad, I couldn't really get into it.

Short People -- I was a bit concerned about the lyrical content of this song until the bridge hit. It's fine, but it's nothing really to wrote home about.
Closer to the Heart -- As sad as I am that La Villa Strangiato isn't in this slot, Closer to the Heart is still a good Rush song with Neil Peart killing it on drums as always.

La Grange -- This is one of those songs where I'll start tapping on the desk to the beat. If it weren't for the killer riffs, it'd feel kinda slow, but instead it works really well.
All Right Now -- I keep thinking this song is going to tell a story, but then it gets distracted along the way. To be fair, that's a good guitar solo, but this song has never really hooked me despite its heavy classic rock radio rotation.

Only the Good Die Young -- While this is probably the 5th best song from The Stranger, I still have to admit it's very catchy. I'm actually kinda surprised I haven't heard this one sung at karaoke more often.
Hello Darlin' -- This is another entry in the list of songs that I can see the appeal of, but ones that I just don't really vibe with.

Mississippi Queen -- At the beginning, I wasn't really into the distortion, but it started to grow on me. The song felt kinda simplistic, but it seems like something that I wouldn't mind hearing show up on the radio.
Star Spangled Banner -- I've never been a fan of Jimi Hendrix, and I've never been a fan of this version of the Star-Spangled Banner. I know it's a(n) historic moment, but that doesn't automatically make the song good.

I'll Be Around -- I would have guessed this was a 60s song. From my experience listening to it on the radio growing up, it's perfect background music while doing homework or (more frequently) putting off doing homework.
Up Against the Wall -- It's been a while since we've had some good punk rock. I'll give it credit for being a being a good song musically while also having meaningful lyrical content.

Search and Destroy -- Last round's voting and this song has convinced me that Iggy Pop's music doesn't completely mesh with me, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate his energy. Of course, this may have partially been because I had just listened to another punk song which I happened to enjoy more.
Mr. Big Stuff -- This song just feels forgettable. It's not really doing much of anything. It's not bad musically, but it's also just kinda there.

American Girl -- A song so great they made a successful line of dolls about it. Tom Petty does a great job capturing a feeling while leading a song that's a classic for a good reason.
Whole Wide World -- Statistically speaking, your girl is probably not in Tahiti. It's an okay song, but there's no way it would be able to stand up to its first-round opponent.

Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Heads up - I’ve managed to kill a couple of letters on my keyboard, so I’m going to extend the voting on this for 24 more hours while I prep a workaround.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Gemistus Pletho
Lulu

Post by Gemistus Pletho »

Rahul Rao - Pothuraju

NYU Class of 2019
mrtyrmystry
Lulu

Post by mrtyrmystry »

I have no preference.

I think it is an error in judgement to not rate Whole Wide World. I don't blame anyone for doing so. The amount of "punk" (the genre i am most aligned with) in this bracket is limited (not unfairly so), and so I feel compelled to vote for kind-of punk other than the Jam, sorry. Basically, I think it's good, if you get past his mewl. I identify with short-ish catchy songs over the American Heartland. Even if American Girl is a rightful victor.
Michael Wu of ?? U
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Surrender is just a weird song. Very fun to play on Guitar Hero 2, but also just weird if you actually listen to it, which I usually didn't. I'd never heard the Dr. John song before and enjoyed it enough to vote for it here - it's also kind of weird, but in a less eyebrow-raising way, I think.
My husband loves Rush, and he's pretty close to my heart, so this vote is for him.
The toughest matchup of the round for me by far. The delivery on "love? Lord above, now you're trying to trick me in love!" wins it for Free.
I once wrote a parody of "Only the Good Die Young" and sang it, in character, as a bard to my D&D party's cleric at the time. She was not impressed. My mom's from Staten Island and I heard a lot of Billy Joel growing up - this isn't one of the songs I still particularly care for as an adult (my personal favorite, "The Downeaster Alexa," came out in 1989, but if I were to pick one from the 70s, it would probably be "Movin' Out"). However, "Hello Darlin'" seems even more like parody fodder than "Only the Good Die Young," so I guess I'm voting for it.
Speaking of songs that were fun to play on Guitar Hero! I know the Hendrix thing was a big deal for music, but as others have noted, it was a big deal in 1969, and I have unabashedly enjoyed this song since I was a wee lad who didn't know he was a lad.
I'd forgotten about "I'll Be Around," but it's a very pleasant easy listening sort of track. I'd never heard "Up Against the Wall" before and gave it a chance, but I couldn't get into it.
I wasn't previously familiar with either of these, though I'm sure I must've heard "Search and Destroy" at some point. Voting for transmasc energy.
If you're not familiar with Tom Petty and don't dig heartland songs, I strongly recommend "Wildflowers," "You Wreck Me," and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" for further listening. Unlike those, I never seek out "American Girl" to listen to and had actually forgotten how much I enjoy the instrumentation. I had also forgotten about "Whole Wide World," which is a fun tune I hadn't heard in years, but I've gotta vote for Tom.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Surrender vs. Right Place Wrong Time - did Less Than Jake cover "Right Place Wrong Time"? I think not.
Short People vs. Closer to the Heart - this is a weird Rush choice, but it's better than Randy Newman.
La Grange vs. All Right Now - classic double "oh right that's what that song is" matchup. ZZ Top vocals are more annoying so Free gets this one.
Only the Good Die Young vs. Hello Darlin’ - one of the best songs in the bracket.
Mississippi Queen vs. Star Spangled Banner - a virtuosic performance that, even more importantly, is not the song "Mississippi Queen"
I’ll Be Around vs. Up Against the Wall - an excellent early punk song! Glad I checked this out.
Search and Destroy vs. Mr. Big Stuff - voted for the one that was covered on a Tony Hawk soundtrack.
American Girl vs. Whole Wide World - this was a really tough one, but being able to vote for UATW made me feel less guilty about Whole Wide World likely not making it past this.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Surrender
Short People
All Right Now
Only the Good Die Young (This was a tough one. Sorry Conway)
Star Spangled Banner
Up Against the Wall (Tom Robinson band should be better known. Glad they’re in the poll)
Mr. Big Stuff
American Girl
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

150 minutes to vote!
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Right Place Wrong Time. Surrender is a fine song, but Right Place Wrong time is 150% better.
Closer to the Heart. It's highly unfortunate that this was the Rush selection, because there are a bunch of songs that are much better (in fact, if Permanent Waves had been released just two weeks earlier, "The Spirit of Radio" probably would have made the list). I don't expect this to make it much further than this round since there are so many heavyweights further up the list.
La Grange. This is such a hard choice - both songs are fantastic, but I think ZZ Top just has to be given the edge here. This song is iconic. Also, ZZ Top is from Houston, so...
Only the Good Die Young. I'm not a huge Billy Joel fan, but this is a decent song, and definitely better than this Conway Twitty song. Shame that "All Right Now" had to go against "La Grange," because it would have knocked out most of the other songs in this round.
Mississippi Queen. Jimi Hendrix is awesome, but in terms of "best songs of the 1970's," this song does not make the cut.
I'll Be Around. I haven't heard either of these before, but this Spinners song is great!
Mr. Big Stuff. I didn't think I had heard of either of these songs, but I definitely have heard "Mr. Big Stuff" before, and it is surely better than Search and Destroy.
American Girl. No contest here - Tom Petty is one of the greatest rock stars ever, and this is one of his best songs.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Short People vs. Closer to the Heart - this song is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Voting has closed.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Our results:

Surrender 25.5, Right Place Wrong Time 9.5
Closer to the Heart 28, Short People 9.5 - the lone upset
La Grange 22, All Right Now 15
Only the Good Die Young 30.5, Hello Darlin’ 6.5
Mississippi Queen 23.5, Star Spangled Banner 14
I’ll Be Around 20.5, Up Against the Wall 15.5
Search and Destroy 19, Mr. Big Stuff 16
American Girl 34, Whole Wide World 3
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Oqp3 ... SLMyHtvcsg

#81 Doctor, My Eyes – Jackson Browne
Album: Jackson Browne
Year: 1972
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #8
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGTaplzmV4

#82 Cherry Bomb – The Runaways
Album: The Runaways
Year: 1976
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #106
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNxKpYOOYvM

#83 When Will I Be Loved – Linda Ronstadt
Album: Heart Like a Wheel
Year: 1975
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #2
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iBgTqz_-vY

#84 The Shape I'm In – The Band
Album: Stage Fright
Year: 1970
Charts: did not chart in the US/UK
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCVTM6obmo

#85 Across 110th Street – Bobby Womack & Peace
Album: Across 110th Street
Year: 1973
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #50
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vACdT7rLY2U

#86 Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
Album: Slowhand
Year: 1977
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #16,UK #81 (studio version)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxAiUq8yn34

#87 Show Me The Way – Peter Frampton
Album: Frampton Comes Alives!
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #6, UK #10
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIRqMTg1GVc

#88 Blitzkrieg Bop – Ramones
Album: Ramones
Charts: did not chart
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymtpePP8I8

#169 Mr. Bojangles – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Album: Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy
Year: 1970
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #9
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X-D8j7cQ54

#170 Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser – Milton Nascimento
Album: Clube da Esquina
Year: 1972
Charts: did not chart in US or UK
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJz-tazK4I

#171 Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue – Crystal Gayle
Album: We Must Believe in Magic
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #2, UK #5
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHVzWzxfGA

#172 Cars – Gary Numan
Album: The Pleasure Principle
Year: 1979
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #9, UK #1
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Lo-D8NQF0

#173 The Revolution Will Not Be Televised – Gil Scott-Heron
Album: Pieces of a Man
Year: 1971
Charts: did not chart
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJFhuOWgXg

#174 Smiling Faces Sometimes – The Undisputed Truth
Album: The Undisputed Truth
Year: 1971
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd9zCTPahqk

#175 Easy – Commodores
Album: Commodores
Charts: Billboard Hot 100 #4, UK #9
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsZ3_db_Fk

#176 Roadrunner (Once) – Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
Album: The Modern Lovers
Charts: UK #11
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1XEfEPgbM

Easier access to songs:

#81 Doctor, My Eyes – Jackson Browne
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGTaplzmV4

#176 Roadrunner (Once) – Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1XEfEPgbM

#82 Cherry Bomb – The Runaways
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNxKpYOOYvM

#175 Easy – Commodores
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsZ3_db_Fk

#83 When Will I Be Loved – Linda Ronstadt
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iBgTqz_-vY

#174 Smiling Faces Sometimes – The Undisputed Truth
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd9zCTPahqk

#84 The Shape I'm In – The Band
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCVTM6obmo

#173 The Revolution Will Not Be Televised – Gil Scott-Heron
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJFhuOWgXg

#85 Across 110th Street – Bobby Womack & Peace
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vACdT7rLY2U

#172 Cars – Gary Numan
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Lo-D8NQF0

#86 Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxAiUq8yn34

#171 Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue – Crystal Gayle
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHVzWzxfGA

#87 Show Me The Way – Peter Frampton
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIRqMTg1GVc

#170 Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser – Milton Nascimento
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJz-tazK4I

#88 Blitzkrieg Bop – Ramones
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymtpePP8I8

#169 Mr. Bojangles – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X-D8j7cQ54

Your ballot:

Doctor, My Eyes vs. Roadrunner (Once)
Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
When Will I Be Loved vs. Smiling Faces Sometimes
The Shape I'm In vs. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Across 110th Street vs. Cars
Wonderful Tonight vs. Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Show Me The Way vs. Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser
Blitzkrieg Bop vs. Mr. Bojangles

48 hours
Fred Morlan
cdbarker
Lulu

Post by cdbarker »

A very well seeded grouping, in my opinion.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy

As a Michigan fan, I must vote for the song whose movie provided Michigan Replay with its long-time theme, the instrumental theme from Across 110th Street (not the same song.)

Craig Barker
Varsity Quiz Bowl Coach: Adlai E. Stevenson High School, Livonia, MI
Maize Pages founder
Michigan 1996-2000
NAQT member emeritus
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy

When Will I Be Loved
vs. Smiling Faces Sometimes

The Shape I'm In
vs. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

An easy choice

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
The Runaways were better as individuals than a group. Easy is smooth.

These are both pretty good, but Smiling Faces Sometimes is just better. It makes me smile, which might be a bad thing.

I like The Band, but their best stuff was in the 60s, and this song doesn't really go anywhere. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is interesting if nothing else.

Cars is a weird song, but it's a good weird song.

Very awesome ballad>kind of awesome ballad

Easy call

I don't want to vote against Blitzkrieg Bog this early, but here we are. Dance!
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
kammajos000
Lulu

Post by kammajos000 »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Listening to this bracket without headphones on (unlike the other two). I like to give new-to-me songs a chance, but my husband made me turn Roadrunner off, and we both enjoy Jackson Browne.
Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Easy is a fine song, but if I were to seek out one of these two to listen to, it would be Cherry Bomb, so that breaks my tie.
Smiling Faces Sometimes is kind of neat and I don't mind having been introduced to it, but it's also not something I'd seek out.
I remember watching "The Last Waltz" on a grainy VHS tape as a kid; it made an impression, but I think I have to give this one to the impassioned Gil Scott-Heron (I'd never heard the full performance before, just the sample in the Black Panther trailer).
Across 110th Street sounds like a movie I would enjoy, but that can't push its title song past the synth vibes of Cars, which fascinated me as a kid for its difference from most of the other stuff my mom listened to.
I've voted for several "not my favorite" songs by artists I like, but I can't stand Wonderful Tonight. Crystal Gayle has a pretty voice that carries the lyrically boring Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue.
As a teen, my mom had a poster of a shirtless Peter Frampton that came with her Frampton Comes Alive album. Her grandmother saw it and freaked out, thinking the poster was a real person. I had managed to forget this song was him but to remember every word.
Mr. Bojangles was the "oh right, this song" of this bracket for me. Blitzkrieg Bop is fun and, while I know I've come out in favor of musical rambling in this thread before, just the right length.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Doctor, My Eyes vs. Roadrunner (Once): This is a tough matchup but I'm a sucker for singing that's actually just talking.
Cherry Bomb vs. Easy: My hatred of Easy is as intense as it is difficult for me to put into words
The Shape I'm In vs. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised The Band is great but tbh this is basically the only reason I care enough to vote this round
Across 110th Street vs. Cars: Another tough one but cars is the worst pixar series
Wonderful Tonight vs. Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue: I don't love either of these; rip.
Show Me The Way vs. Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser: am i dumb for preferring songs in languages i dont understand? Absolutely.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
See earlier re: sad country songs
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

- I got to listen to Roadrunner for the first time ever tonight, and it won't be the last. I'm not picking it over my favorite Jackson Browne song, though.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
- I recently found The Runaways in the middle of a Wikipedia rabbit hole after Fanny's "Ain't That Peculiar" showed up out of the blue on my Youtube recommended list. I know it's their signature song, but I just don't like it much. The background "Ahhs" in the chorus for "Easy," though...it's tough for anyone to beat that.

- The choice of the Linda Ronstadt song is the problem. "When Will I Be Loved" isn't even the best song on that album. "You're No Good" would have won this, easily. But, to be honest, neither of those do justice to what Linda Ronstadt's voice was capable of. I'm also shocked to learn that "Smiling Faces" wasn't written by the O'Jays.

- Too bad "Up on Cripple Creek" came out in 1969, but only one of these songs got named-dropped by Snoop Dogg on a Gorillaz album.

- Your synths have to be pretty powerful to get me to vote against the title track from a Yaphet Kotto flick. "Are Friends Electric?" might have proven to be a stronger song for Gary, though, in this format.

- I'm guessing you were torn for a while on this song or "After Midnight" for the Eric Clapton solo song. Either one would win this in a walk.

- Another song I hadn't heard (the Brazilian one) that I really enjoyed. But good live albums are rare, and I've got major respect for Frampton's album. I can't shop for records without coming across a copy of that in every store, it was just everywhere.

- I could have sworn that I'd heard better songs from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Looking back on their discography...turns out I hadn't. Ramones win this one easily.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
Triton of the Minnows
Lulu

Post by Triton of the Minnows »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Jack van Nostrand
Queen's University 2020/22

There might be a five-legged dragon in my house but no one has ever seen it
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Doctor, My Eyes. No contest here.
Easy. Holy crap, that's a tough matchup. This was almost a coin flip for me.
Smiling Faces Sometimes. Again, very difficult, but I guess I just like this song slightly better.
The Shape I'm In. This is odd. The Band has much better songs, but Gil Scott-Heron had much more of an influence on future artists. I'm going to have to lend my vote to The Band, just because it's a better song. Annoyed because better songs are getting knocked out in other match-ups here.
Cars. Goodness gracious - both of these songs are fantastic, but Cars is a slightly better song in my opinion.
Wonderful Tonight. Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue is a beautiful song, but Wonderful Tonight is one of the most beautiful songs of all time.
Show Me The Way. Well, not much of a contest here, either.
Blitzkrieg Bop. Mr. Bojangles is enduring, but Blitzkrieg Bop is iconic.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy - "Easy" is criminally underseeded here. Probably the toughest matchup this round.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
The Shape I'm In vs. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - I really, truly love the Band, but you can't argue against TRWNBT
Rachel
UChicago 09
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

I had never heard Roadrunner before, and made it about a minute and a half in before I got bored.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Cherry Bomb didn't really do anything for me, so Easy gets the close win.

The chiming guitar on When Will I Be Loved wins it for me, though Smiling Faces is pretty solid too.

Not the Band song I would have chosen personally, but it's still great, and I'm not a fan of the talk-singing style on its opponent.

I don't really love either of these songs, but Across 110th street sounds enough like Isaac Hayes to get my vote.

This is not a hard choice. One of Clapton's best solo songs versus a very generic middle of the road pop song.

Much like Cheap Trick, Frampton is another classic rock legend I've never been able to get into. I'd never heard the Brazilian song before, but I really like the intro and the vocals are very expressive even without understanding a word of what's being said.

Mr. Bojangles sounds like a lesser version of the 60's Band material. I like Blitzkrieg Bop, but overplay at sporting events has really killed its long term appeal for me.
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Doctor, My Eyes -- Jackson Browne is one of those artists whose music I keep forgetting I really enjoy. The song isn't tremendously deep, but it's by no means exceedingly shallow either.
Roadrunner (Once) -- I feel like if you're going to sing by mostly talking, the lyrics need to be significant enough to carry the song. That didn't happen here.

Cherry Bomb -- It's hard (but not too hard) rock, rebellious, and has a catchy chorus. It's not Joan Jett's greatest performance, but that'll have to wait for the 80s bracket.
Easy -- It's slow, and it does it fairly well, but it's just a bit too slow for me. I think it got hurt by being paired against a significantly higher-energy song.

When Will I Be Loved -- Linda Ronstadt does a solid cover of an Everly Brothers classic. It certainly doesn't hurt that it's very catchy.
Smiling Faces Sometimes -- It's an okay Motown song, but there are much better ones out there. I feel like it could be sped up about 10% and be a more solid song.

The Shape I'm In -- This is a good song. It's not amazingly mind-blowing, but then again music doesn't have to be. The Band has a sound that over the years has started to grow more and more on me.
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised -- This is certainly the most unique entry so far. It almost feels more like an entry into a poetry slam than a song, but it does it well and it has a very strong call to arms while not dumbing down the subject matter.

Across 110th Street -- This song had a bit of a slow start, but once the chorus hit, it started to come into its own. I've never seen the movie, but I have to imagine this song does a great job of setting the scene.
Cars -- Cars does synths well. This is a song that knows exactly what it's about and does it well.

Wonderful Tonight -- I was not a fan when this song came on the radio back in high school, but I've since been able to appreciate it a lot more. This is very likely the second-best song written about Pattie Boyd in this bracket.
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue -- This song feels solidly meh to me. Crystal Gayle has a good voice, but that's about the only good thing going for me.

Show Me The Way -- This is one of the rare live songs that I enjoy. I could never get into the usage of the talk box, but other than that it's a very solid song.
Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser -- It's a decent song musically, but not being able to understand the lyrics doesn't really help.

Blitzkrieg Bop -- This is a very iconic song, and for good reason. Honestly, it's probably started to wear out on me from repeated listening, but it's hard to deny that it's a banger.
Mr. Bojangles -- I thought I'd like this song a lot more after listening it for the first time in years, but it feels like it's not quite complete. It's decent, but it's against heavy competition.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

--This is a brutal choice for me, as I love both songs; I'd probably pick "Doctor" but since it seems certain to win, I'll be contrarian.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
--No problem

--"Smiling Faces Sometimes" is, I think the first song I haven't heard. Not bad! But not as good.

--Another brutal choice, and though I think there are better songs by The Band, I gotta go with the Americana.

--Gary Numan!

--Ugh, I dislike both of these, so pass.

--Love the vocoder.

--If you don't know the Frank Black song, "I Heard Ramona Sing," you should check it out.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You have eighteen or so hours left to vote!
Fred Morlan
AgathokakologicalPunk
Lulu

Post by AgathokakologicalPunk »

Doctor, My Eyes
Easy
Smiling Faces Sometimes
The Shape I'm In
Cars
Wonderful Tonight
Tudo O Que Você Podia Ser
Blitzkrieg Bop
Ben
Harrison High School (IN) Quiz Bowl

"I will forgive you... this one time."
"In the absence of any real knowledge, we're going with Song's guess."
"They're naming their kids Bilhelm and JaQuarius; I'm naming mine Grey Poupon."
"And then I said Michigan is in Canada in front of the whole school. The next year, I won the Geography Bee and no one even knew."
"New Orleans commodities: stocks, jazz, and bees."
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Blitzkrieg Bop vs. Mr. Bojangles--While "I Wanna Be Sedated" remains by favorite Ramones song, Blitzkrieg Bop is still a bop.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24 '28
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
mrtyrmystry
Lulu

Post by mrtyrmystry »

These aren't meant to be interesting comments or justification, they're just words.

I will go sadder miles an hour when Roadrunner loses.

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy
Cherry Bomb is exploitative - though I'm not the best judge. Both of these songs are outrageously memorable. Joan Jett is great.

I almost-like both these songs.

Cars is closer to (my recollection of) Kraftwerk than my idea of new wave.

though this cover of mr. bojangles had more soul than any folk- or country/adjacent music here (and it's not close), i'm not allowed to vote against punk. I'm really glad I heard it though.
Last edited by mrtyrmystry on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Wu of ?? U
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Cherry Bomb vs. Easy

Pop radio really had a lot of lemons in the 70s
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

vcpavao wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm Pop radio really had a lot of lemons in the 70s
Wait until I write something about 1974.

I got a computer with working g, h, & ' buttons, which I'm in the process of setting up. I'll leave voting open over night and will update this at some point tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Fred Morlan