Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament: 3/10 at UIUC

Old college threads.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament: 3/10 at UIUC

Post by Captain Sinico »

This is an announcement for the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament, which will be held on Saturday, March 10 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This tournament is held in loving memory of Matthew Isaac Cvijanovich, who left our team in body on January 2, 2005, but who will never leave in spirit.

This will be a packet-submission event as per the guidelines below.

*Who can play?

The tournament field is open to teams composed of players in their first or second year of collegiate competition, all of whom attend the same school, as determined by me in case of discrepancies. These are the only restrictions on competitors, which is to say, there are absolutely no disqualifications on the basis of age, year in school, presumed skill level, etc.

*What is the format?

Each match will consist of 20 tossups with accompanying bonuses, divided into two un-timed halves; ties will be broken by sudden death overtime tossups. The tournament will consist of some form of round robin (which form exactly as dictated by the field size) followed by a playoff to decide the tournament champion.

*What of the questions?

Each team participating must submit a packet of questions following the distribution below, absolutely and without exception. In addition, the packet must be submitted on time, barring your negotiating other arrangements with me. No team will be allowed to play without submitting a packet on time and I’m completely serious about that. If you show up and your packet didn’t, you won’t play.
Packets submitted by schools sending multiple teams must be blind to the non-author teams. Assistance in writing from experienced team members is encouraged but writing on behalf of novices is strongly discouraged as we would like this event to promote the practice of writing questions among younger players. The question difficulty should lie around that of ACF Fall. To aid in question writing, I am willing send a copy of the round robin questions from the most recent incarnation of this event to each registered school at their request.

Each packet submitted must follow the following subject distribution (tossups/bonuses):

History 4/4
Science 4/4 (no science biography, please - put that in "other academic" if you must write it)
Literature 4/4
Religion/Mythology/Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Geography 1/1
Social Science 1/1
Other Academic 3/3 (questions from any of the above areas, but no more than 2 from any one of them)
Pop Culture/sports 2/2 (no more than 1/1 sports)
Current Events 1/1 (please avoid "story-of-the-moment" questions)

Total 26/26

- Absolutely no spelling, calculation, "FAQTP," or ordering/multiple choice questions.
- No more than 1/3 of the TU answers should be real people.
- Please be diverse across sub-field, time period, geographical location, etc. within each distribution category.
- All tossups are worth 10 pts and should be no shorter than 3 lines, nor longer than 6 lines; all bonuses should be worth a total of 30 pts.
- No bonuses potentially requiring six prompts (e.g. "FFPE," 10-5,
15-10-5, 5-5-5-5-5-5, etc.) Bonuses potentially requiring five prompts must be used sparingly, if at all.
- Packets disregarding these guidelines may be returned as unacceptable.

Packets should be submitted via email to [email protected] either as an attached Microsoft Word file; attached standard format Rich Text File (NOTE: no WordPerfect format Rich Text, please); attached text file; or, if absolutely necessary, as text in the body of the email, in that order of preference. Additionally, the entire packet must be submitted as a whole, formatted in "Illinois Open" format (please see the "Formatting" section of the announcement for the 2006 Illinois Open available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3110 for more information on Illinois Open format.)

*What Does This Cost?

Base fee for acceptable questions by Feb. 10 $60

Moderator (competent) -$10
Buzzer (working) -$10
Each additional team -$5

Packet not submitted/submitted after Feb. 10 without being excused by me: Infinity dollars (you don’t play. Seriously.)

There is a $30 fee for any team that registers but then cancels or fails to show for non-emergency reasons without notifying me via email 2 days in advance.

*Where Can I Get More Information, Register a Team, Send a Packet, etc.?

All of the above should be addressed to Mike Sorice, [email protected].

Hope to see you here in March!

Michael Angelo Sorice
Editor, Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament
Last edited by Captain Sinico on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hi everyone,
Thus far, I've received interest from Chicago and Michigan. While I'm sure the novices of Chicago and Michigan desperately need the writing and play experience on offer here, I'm also pretty sure that there are other teams than those with novices. This tournament is exceptionally reasonably priced and offers a unique experience not to be found elsewhere. Please e-mail me with your registrations.

Thanks,
MaS
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hey, any updates regarding this?
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Registered teams will receive instructions shortly; they'll be posted here for redundancy. The field is:
Chicago A
Chicago B
Bradley
Illinois
Michigan A
Michigan B

Minnesota

(Italicized teams should probably send me packets if they want to play.)

MaS
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Bradley has a program? I didn't know that.

Will the questions be made available from this tournament?
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Trevkeeper wrote:Will the questions be made available from this tournament?
Sure. They will be available for trade or purchase, the same as all of our other sets. A formal announcement will be made with the results.

MaS
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

After a slightly modified double round robin, Chicago B (Chris, David, Lilly, Steven) topped a seven-team field to win the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament. The full stats for this tournament are now available here. I should explain a few things about the results. First, a final was not played by special arrangement because Chicago B had to catch a train, an eventuality I was fully aware of long before the tournament. I would like to especially commend Minnesota for their class in understanding this. Secondly, Illinois B was dissolved after the initial round robin, so they didn't exist for the last 6 games (of course, all teams having played them once, schedule difficulty was conserved, all else equal.) Thirdly, Bradley wanted to get going after round 12 for a variety of reasons and informed me so, so their last two rounds are forfeits.

Things ran pretty close to on-time and it seemed to me like everyone had some fun. If you want to talk about the questions, a discussion is ongoing in this thread (you can also e-mail me, of course.) If you have anything to say about this tournament in particular, you feel free to post in this thread or e-mail me.

I'd like to offer my thanks to everyone who made this tournament possible, particularly: to all the teams who came out and submitted packets; to Sudheer Potru and Andrew Ullsperger for writing for me, working with me on the set for many hours, and helping staff the tournament; to our mirror sites at UCLA, USF, VCU, Brown, and Texas; to guest staffers Meredith Johnson and Deskin Miller; to Donald Taylor for running the staff room, sending packets to people, and handling stats; to the ABT members who came out to staff the event (Dan Anderson, Micah Hodosh, and Kelly Tourdot) volunteered their computers for use (Donald Taylor, Greg Babouskis, Tryg Meade, James Sanner, and Dan Anderson) or wrote for me (Steven Canning).

The questions from the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament will shortly be available for sale or trade. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested in purchasing or trading for this set.

Mike Sorice
Tournament Director, Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament