Books "for Quizbowl"

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Books "for Quizbowl"

Post by tksaleija »

You're a modern hero
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

physicsnerd wrote:For mythology, all of Rick Riordan's books. It may seem nuts, but if you like reading fiction, it's got all the greek, egyptian, and norse myth you'll need to start out with (for the most part, anyway). Pretty much all the points from mythology I've gotten are from those.
can confirm -- have gotten reasonably hard myth questions off of Percy Jackson knowledge
physicsnerd wrote:I saw there was a comment up above on studying for biblical questions - I would read the gospels, Acts, and Revelation (though if you're short on time, pick one gospel, they do overlap quite a bit) from the New Testament and Genesis, Exodus, and 1st Samuel through 2nd Chronicles. If you do this and also read through summaries of some other biblical stories (Daniel, Ruth, Esther, a short summary of which churches Paul sent letters to, Joshua, Sampson) you'll be, I think, more than good for most of the questions I've heard come up.
if you'd rather read something other than the actual Bible, I recommend Tikva Frymer-Kensky's Reading the Women of the Bible -- obviously its feminist focus means some stories get left out altogether or not focused on, but it provides short summaries of a bunch of major biblical stories in line with discussion of them.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Post by iarehavethestupid »

Asking for a teammate, would Campbell’s textbook be a bit much for a 7th grader to take in? He has a decent understanding of physics and chem, it’s just his bio that’s weak.If it makes a difference, he already has it at his house (sibling)
Ethan Xu
Liberty Middle School 2017-2019
James Clemens High School 2020-2023
2019 ASCA MS State Champion
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

iarehavethestupid wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 pm Asking for a teammate, would Campbell’s textbook be a bit much for a 7th grader to take in? He has a decent understanding of physics and chem, it’s just his bio that’s weak.If it makes a difference, he already has it at his house (sibling)
if he's a bright enough kid it should be fine. Understanding the stuff for AP bio doesn't require a super deep background in anything
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Can somebody give me a recommendation for something that covers specifically European History? (And not just Britain)
Ethan Xu
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

iarehavethestupid wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 pm Can somebody give me a recommendation for something that covers specifically European History? (And not just Britain)
As I put here, Palmer, Colton, and Kramer, A History of the Modern World is very clue-dense and very well-written.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Any recommendations for good page turner art books? Non-fiction preferred, but if it's a good novelization (like the suggested Agony and Ecstasy upthread), I would give it a go.

It doesn't have to be a survey book. For reference, I liked the Art of Rivalry, which covered four notable two-wise relationships in modern art.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm Any recommendations for good page turner art books? Non-fiction preferred, but if it's a good novelization (like the suggested Agony and Ecstasy upthread), I would give it a go.

It doesn't have to be a survey book. For reference, I liked the Art of Rivalry, which covered four notable two-wise relationships in modern art.
You might like Svetlana Alpers's The Vexations of Art, which does a great job of telling her own story (of getting to know the art) along with profound and detailed discussions of some magnificent paintings.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

vinteuil wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:52 am
UlyssesInvictus wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm Any recommendations for good page turner art books? Non-fiction preferred, but if it's a good novelization (like the suggested Agony and Ecstasy upthread), I would give it a go.

You might like Svetlana Alpers's The Vexations of Art, which does a great job of telling her own story (of getting to know the art) along with profound and detailed discussions of some magnificent paintings.
Will check it out, thanks!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Wanted to bump this thread to make two recs for Eastern European history:

God's Playground, Volume 1 by Norman Davies.. This is a history of Poland from its beginning to the partitions in 1792. It's famous outside of quizbowl and the author is super famous. I have actually not read it, but one of my friends just read it, and while he was reading it he would not stop Facebook messaging me with amusing anecdotes and details he learned from the book. This makes it seem perfect for quizbowl.

The Realm of St. Stephen by Pal Engel. This is a history of Hungary from its beginning until the Ottoman conquest in 1526. I am in the process of reading it and can already recommend it for quizbowl purposes because the amount of names, details, etc. the author drops.

I'm not actually sure that these books will get you lots of points at anything below the ACF Nationals level, because I imagine most Poland and Hungary tossups heavily favor 20th century knowledge, but they seem clue-dense and thus "for quizbowl".
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm Wanted to bump this thread to make two recs for Eastern European history:

God's Playground, Volume 1 by Norman Davies.. This is a history of Poland from its beginning to the partitions in 1792. It's famous outside of quizbowl and the author is super famous. I have actually not read it, but one of my friends just read it, and while he was reading it he would not stop Facebook messaging me with amusing anecdotes and details he learned from the book. This makes it seem perfect for quizbowl.

The Realm of St. Stephen by Pal Engel. This is a history of Hungary from its beginning until the Ottoman conquest in 1526. I am in the process of reading it and can already recommend it for quizbowl purposes because the amount of names, details, etc. the author drops.

I'm not actually sure that these books will get you lots of points at anything below the ACF Nationals level, because I imagine most Poland and Hungary tossups heavily favor 20th century knowledge, but they seem clue-dense and thus "for quizbowl".
Are all/most of Norman Davies's books good for quizbowl?
Ethan Xu
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

iarehavethestupid wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm Are all/most of Norman Davies's books good for quizbowl?
Yes. Europe and Vanished Kingdoms (in addition to the aforementioned God's Playground) are both pretty good reads and very clue-dense. Highly recommend.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Jeje Lalpekhlua
Lulu

Post by Jeje Lalpekhlua »

Can someone recommend me books on Hinduism/other world religions (Voodoo, Rastafari, Buddhism, Bahai, Jainism, Shinto, Sikhism, etc)?
Abhinav Karthikeyan (he/him/his)
Richard Montgomery HS '21
Yale '25
Teddymons123
Lulu

Post by Teddymons123 »

Rocket21 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm Can someone recommend me books on Hinduism/other world religions (Voodoo, Rastafari, Buddhism, Bahai, Jainism, Shinto, Sikhism, etc)?
Hinduism:
I don't know what your level of experience is but here are two introductory texts. Both secondary sources.
https://www.amazon.com/Hinduism-Beliefs ... C86%7C1%7C

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots- ... C86%7C1%7C

Shinto:
The Kojiki is the best single source for Shintoism.
https://www.amazon.com/Kojiki-Account-A ... 0231163894

However the text was written in Old Japanese so some things are lost in translation.

Jainism:
I'm no as much an expert at this, but this book seems to be the best English source. It's rather condensed (140 pages) and a bit expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Mahavira-Prince- ... 1932771271

I don't know enough about the others to be helpful, sorry.
Andrew Kelley
Middlesboro High School '20
University of Kentucky '24
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This site has some good recommendations from scholars on the five best books on various topics: https://fivebooks.com. They may not all be super valuable from a quizbowl perspective, but I bet you can find at least 1 of the 5 that would be a useful read.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
CaptainNoBeard
Lulu

Post by CaptainNoBeard »

Not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but for Greek myth I prefer Gantz's massive tome, "Early Greek Myth," recommended to me by my Greek and Roman Epic professor. It's 737 pages of in-depth descriptions of individual characters, myths, and families, including deviant versions of all the aforementioned things, drawing on oral traditions, art, history, written works, and just about everything under the sun; a 48 page full catalogue of artistic representations of various figures, and the pages on which those artworks were cited in the text; 18 pages of in-depth genealogies; and another 50 pages of author's notes. I am not even *close* to done with it, but it's already gotten me a bunch of points.
Also read the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid lol

Adding on to what some others have said, for Norse myth just read the Eddas. I found a good free version of the poetic edda online somewhere.

George Hart's Egyptian Myths is a pretty good medium-level work on the subject.

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh. A few times. It's not that long.

I am completely out of my depth when it comes to Hinduism, but I have copies of the Ramayana, Bhagavad Gita, and Rig Veda that I'm planning on reading.

The Kalevala is boring as hell but worth it. Ugh that reminds me I need to make cards

I don't have any one recommendation for Aztec or Mayan myth; there are a couple of books I have but none of them really stand out.

Hope this was at all helpful to someone out there.
Lev Bernstein
NYU '22
Bard High School Early College '18
Myth Player Extraordinaire
Author of Bernstein's Dope Study Materials (BDSM), An Open Packet of Ice and Fire
"The truth is far more frightening; no-one is in control, the world is rudderless." -Alan Moore
Teddymons123
Lulu

Post by Teddymons123 »

CaptainNoBeard wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am Not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but for Greek myth I prefer Gantz's massive tome, "Early Greek Myth," recommended to me by my Greek and Roman Epic professor. It's 737 pages of in-depth descriptions of individual characters, myths, and families, including deviant versions of all the aforementioned things, drawing on oral traditions, art, history, written works, and just about everything under the sun; a 48 page full catalogue of artistic representations of various figures, and the pages on which those artworks were cited in the text; 18 pages of in-depth genealogies; and another 50 pages of author's notes. I am not even *close* to done with it, but it's already gotten me a bunch of points.
Also read the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid lol

Adding on to what some others have said, for Norse myth just read the Eddas. I found a good free version of the poetic edda online somewhere.

George Hart's Egyptian Myths is a pretty good medium-level work on the subject.

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh. A few times. It's not that long.

I am completely out of my depth when it comes to Hinduism, but I have copies of the Ramayana, Bhagavad Gita, and Rig Veda that I'm planning on reading.

The Kalevala is boring as hell but worth it. Ugh that reminds me I need to make cards

I don't have any one recommendation for Aztec or Mayan myth; there are a couple of books I have but none of them really stand out.

Hope this was at all helpful to someone out there.
For Sumerian/ Babylonian, would you recommend The Epic of Gilgamesh or the Enûma Eliš more?

On the topic of Mayan, the Popol Vuh will get you every HS Mayan question. I don’t know anything about Aztec however.
Andrew Kelley
Middlesboro High School '20
University of Kentucky '24
CaptainNoBeard
Lulu

Post by CaptainNoBeard »

Teddymons123 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm
For Sumerian/ Babylonian, would you recommend The Epic of Gilgamesh or the Enûma Eliš more?

On the topic of Mayan, the Popol Vuh will get you every HS Mayan question. I don’t know anything about Aztec however.
For Sumerian I would recommend quizdb lol
In all seriousness I really have no recommendation. I didn't play HS for all that long, and I only really started studying towards the end, so most of my advice is really for college. You can probably read both; Gilgamesh is very short. In addition, if you're a comics fan, Archer and Armstrong actually is decently helpful for low-level Gilgamesh knowledge, but beyond that not much.

The Popol Vuh will of course get you every Mayan questions, can't believe I didn't mention it

Most of my Aztec knowledge is just from quizdb and protobowl, but that alone has gotten me a lot. Obviously that is not what this is about though.
Lev Bernstein
NYU '22
Bard High School Early College '18
Myth Player Extraordinaire
Author of Bernstein's Dope Study Materials (BDSM), An Open Packet of Ice and Fire
"The truth is far more frightening; no-one is in control, the world is rudderless." -Alan Moore