TDB help thread

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: TDB help thread

Post by Cody »

It would be nice if there was coarser filtering for the date of tournaments. For example, if one were to search "Regionals", the only real option you have for finding all the 2013 sites is to put in two mm/dd/yyyy dates that includes February 23 & 24. Being able to specify just a year would be immensely helpful - perhaps under the option "On" (and perhaps rename it to "On/In").
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Renesmee LaHotdog Voight wrote:It would be nice if there was coarser filtering for the date of tournaments. For example, if one were to search "Regionals", the only real option you have for finding all the 2013 sites is to put in two mm/dd/yyyy dates that includes February 23 & 24. Being able to specify just a year would be immensely helpful - perhaps under the option "On" (and perhaps rename it to "On/In").
One possibility you could do is set the date to between 1/1/2013 and 1/1/2014.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Renesmee LaHotdog Voight wrote:It would be nice if there was coarser filtering for the date of tournaments. For example, if one were to search "Regionals", the only real option you have for finding all the 2013 sites is to put in two mm/dd/yyyy dates that includes February 23 & 24. Being able to specify just a year would be immensely helpful - perhaps under the option "On" (and perhaps rename it to "On/In").
Good suggestion. Another thing I could possibly do is add some basic parsing to the name search box and have a search for "2013 regionals" actually search for "regionals" between 1/1/2013 and 12/31/2013.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Doing some parsing would be absolutely superb/perfect; I thought it might be too complicated, so I went with an easier suggestion.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Hi TDB help thread,

I cannot successfully upload the stat report from the middle school tournament Mountain Lakes hosted in May. I know that the file contains actual stats/information, but every time I try to view it after uploading it says "Error getting report. It may not be uploaded." . Would this be a problem caused by the fact that the computer I am uploading it from doesn't have SQBS and therefore the file isn't getting correctly recognized or something along those lines? I also still have the file in my e-mail if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

edit: here's the current listing for the tournament http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1503
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Northern Central Railway wrote:Hi TDB help thread,

I cannot successfully upload the stat report from the middle school tournament Mountain Lakes hosted in May. I know that the file contains actual stats/information, but every time I try to view it after uploading it says "Error getting report. It may not be uploaded." . Would this be a problem caused by the fact that the computer I am uploading it from doesn't have SQBS and therefore the file isn't getting correctly recognized or something along those lines? I also still have the file in my e-mail if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
It looks like only the data file is uploaded. Did you generate the HTML files in SQBS and attempt to upload those, or did you upload just the data file? The database currently does nothing with the data file other than storing it for backup purposes. If you don't have access to SQBS I can take the data file and generate the HTML files for you.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

ScoBo wrote:
Northern Central Railway wrote:Hi TDB help thread,

Thanks in advance.
It looks like only the data file is uploaded. Did you generate the HTML files in SQBS and attempt to upload those, or did you upload just the data file? The database currently does nothing with the data file other than storing it for backup purposes. If you don't have access to SQBS I can take the data file and generate the HTML files for you.
That would be great, I'll e-mail the data file to the e-mail address in your profile.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

I downloaded the data file you uploaded to the site, generated the reports, and uploaded them. The report is named "prelims", but it looks like it's not just the prelims but has all of the games (6 prelims + 8 team single elimination is what it looks like to me).
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

So one suggestion I have is for there to be a way for people to be notified if someone creates a Database entry for their event. I think there are at least 2 events I've made entries for this summer/semester that have had a second entry made. Another thing that is probably worthwhile is a way to delete duplicate question sets.

EDIT: This suggestion is obviously for when Jeff or one of the other developers has time to implement it. I appreciate everything you guys have done to make the Database better!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:So one suggestion I have is for there to be a way for people to be notified if someone creates a Database entry for their event. I think there are at least 2 events I've made entries for this summer/semester that have had a second entry made. Another thing that is probably worthwhile is a way to delete duplicate question sets.
Do you have a couple of examples of these tournaments?

Sending an email notification (or at least having the option) when transferring ownership of an entry would be useful; the tournament hosts of the entries that get created by volunteers like you for random tournaments probably don't realize that you're creating an entry and will probably create another one when they go to upload stats. Note that we made some changes recently to automatically ask people to post their tournaments to the database shortly after they announce them on the forums, which seems to have been fairly effective in the limited time that it's been live, so hopefully most tournaments announced on the forums in the future will have a corresponding database entry within 3 days.

I finally added admin delete capabilities, and am currently working on the ability to merge entries together (so that if you have an "Invitational Series #130" with 7 tournaments linked to it and an "IS-130" with 3 tournaments linked to it, an admin can merge them together and it will automatically re-link the IS-130 ones to the correct Invitational Series #130 entry). Once that's in, we can finally take some time to get rid of the duplicates.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

ScoBo wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:So one suggestion I have is for there to be a way for people to be notified if someone creates a Database entry for their event. I think there are at least 2 events I've made entries for this summer/semester that have had a second entry made. Another thing that is probably worthwhile is a way to delete duplicate question sets.
Do you have a couple of examples of these tournaments?
Yeah, Collegiate Novice at Ohio State and Golden Eagle Bowl at Enloe were the tournaments I was referencing.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

I just discovered and fixed a bug that caused the coordinates of a tournament location to get wiped out when transferring ownership of the entry, so there were about 130 tournaments that had addresses but no coordinates. These should all be fixed now, so any tournament with a valid address should show up in a search where it falls within the search radius. Thanks to Matt Weiner for noticing that this happened frequently when creating tournament entries on behalf of others... I knew a bug existed where some entries had addresses but not coordinates, but it seemed rare enough that I never prioritized looking into it until today, but as I know now, it was easy to reproduce and affected over 100 entries.

Please let me know if you come across a tournament entry that has an address but no map on the tournament listing page.
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Yeah, Collegiate Novice at Ohio State and Golden Eagle Bowl at Enloe were the tournaments I was referencing.
It looks like both of those forum announcements triggered emails requesting them to be posted.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Saw this thread, misread it as "TBD help thread", and thought maybe it was a discussion about this "#1 Coaching Tip"
http://pyramidquestions.com/Coaching%20Tip%20%201.pdf

EDIT: left out TBD vs. TDB
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Any chance that a check box could be added to the tournament search to filter out tourneys without stat reports?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Any chance that a check box could be added to the tournament search to filter out tourneys without stat reports?
Sure, that should be easy to add. I'm in the middle of working on another addition right now, but I should be able to get that done right after, hopefully within the next month.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

So I have no idea if it's a TDB error or an SQBS error, but I've noticed that on http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/ the table tag isn't closed, so the footer appears near the top.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Something More Easily Remembered wrote:So I have no idea if it's a TDB error or an SQBS error, but I've noticed that on http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/ the table tag isn't closed, so the footer appears near the top.
I think this is a bug with the Mac version of SQBS:
I've never used the Mac version myself, but I think there is a bug in the generation of the individuals report, at least in the version that was used for the VA NAQT States tournament. It looks like the <table> tag is never closed, which causes the copyright to appear above the table when uploaded to the database
It sounds like this may be fixed in a newer version that's not yet available on the SQBS website; see the linked thread for details.
Cody

Post by Cody »

ScoBo wrote:It sounds like this may be fixed in a newer version that's not yet available on the SQBS website; see the linked thread for details.
Judging by the correct column layout on the team page and elsewhere, this stat report was generated with the most recent version of SQBS (available in that thread), which appears to have this bug only on the individuals page.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As a reminder, it can be very useful for you to go through and make sure all high school and middle school events in your state are properly listed on the DB. This is the best way to have a single searchable list by factors like distance that can aid in avoiding scheduling conflicts, and it is what new teams are being pointed to when they look for tournaments.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Cody

Post by Cody »

Would it be possible to institute a 'copy' mechanism for adding new tournaments? Most tournaments at a given level use the same fee structure, tournaments hosted by the same school tend to be hosted at the same location, many tournaments have the same name and increment their count by 1 every year, etc., so I think being able to copy from previous announcements of yours/others would make adding tournaments a lot easier.

In addition, I'd like to propose the following changes:
Buzzer discount is automatically included, at -$5 per buzzer.
Staff discount is automatically included, at -$10 per staffer. [note: this is not currently a default inclusion like buzzer/laptop/etc. discounts; I think it should be added even if these proposed changes are decided as "Won't Fix"]
if Level: High school/Middle School: Distance discount is automatically included at -$10 per 150 miles one-way
if Level: College/Open/Trash: Distance discount is automatically included at -$10 per 200 miles one-way

edit: This would also work a lot better than the current "add/forumpost/#####" scheme, which fails pretty horribly for my announcements.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Would it be possible to institute a 'copy' mechanism for adding new tournaments?
A copy mechanism is a great idea and shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I'm working on a large set of changes (mostly behind the scenes and admin functionality) that I'll hopefully get done by the end of the month. (How many times have I said that...?) I'll put this on my list of functionality to add before the next update. Once we get this update running, hopefully I will do a better job of branching/merging in source control to be able to handle small enhancement requests like this more quickly.
Staff discount is automatically included, at -$10 per staffer. [note: this is not currently a default inclusion like buzzer/laptop/etc. discounts; I think it should be added even if these proposed changes are decided as "Won't Fix"]
Including a "staffer" discount on the form by default was suggested earlier, but at that time I decided against it mainly since tournaments sometimes have different discounts for moderators and scorekeepers, etc. However, after using the form to enter several more tournaments over the last 3 years, I can definitely see how having that as a default would make things easier.

As for dollar amounts, other than -$5 for buzzers, I'm not sure the amounts are universal enough that it makes sense to add them as defaults. However, looking at the form again, another way I could approach this is to add "preset" links like this:
Buzzer discount: Add (-$5)
Distance discount: Add (-$10/150 miles one-way)
Laptop discount: Add (-$5)
Add staff discounts: Staffer (-$10) / Moderator / Scorekeeper
Alternate format:
Add buzzer discount: -$5 / Other amount
Add distance discount: -$10 per 150 miles one-way / Other amount
Add laptop discount: -$5 / Other amount
Add "staffer" discount: -$10 / Other amount
Add "moderator" discount: Specify amount
Add "scorekeeper" discount: Specify amount
That way, the pricing is still a blank slate, but adding common amounts would be easier. The defaults could be set up to dynamically update based on certain rules, such as your suggestion for distance discounts based on level. The state could also contribute to these rules (for instance, in Missouri, $10 per 100 miles is more common). A potential additional/alternate enhancement would be to offer a dropdown of presets for tournaments like ACF Fall, etc., which might also include a way for individual users to save their own presets. Dynamic presets that are anything more than maybe a quick hard-coded distance discount preset based on level will probably be deferred for a while.

On second thought, are separate moderator/scorekeeper discounts ever used much anywhere outside of Missouri? Looking at a sample of tournament announcements for Missouri tournaments, they're probably not common enough even here to warrant making them defaults on the form. I can probably just simplify the default to a "staffer" discount and the few tournaments that need to make the distinction can use the existing custom discount method so that it removes that potential confusion from the form.

Does this general approach seem reasonable from a user perspective? Is it confusing? The pricing section is definitely the most complicated part of this form, so any suggestions to make it easier to use would be helpful.
This would also work a lot better than the current "add/forumpost/#####" scheme, which fails pretty horribly for my announcements.
Right now, this only parses the thread title for tournament name, date, and location. I don't attempt to parse the post content for anything.
Cody

Post by Cody »

ScoBo wrote:However, looking at the form again, another way I could approach this is to add "preset" links like this:
Buzzer discount: Add (-$5)
Distance discount: Add (-$10/150 miles one-way)
Laptop discount: Add (-$5)
Add staff discounts: Staffer (-$10) / Moderator / Scorekeeper
Alternate format:
Add buzzer discount: -$5 / Other amount
Add distance discount: -$10 per 150 miles one-way / Other amount
Add laptop discount: -$5 / Other amount
Add "staffer" discount: -$10 / Other amount
Add "moderator" discount: Specify amount
Add "scorekeeper" discount: Specify amount
That would be a very fine implementation, in my opinion!
ScoBo wrote:On second thought, are separate moderator/scorekeeper discounts ever used much anywhere outside of Missouri? Looking at a sample of tournament announcements for Missouri tournaments, they're probably not common enough even here to warrant making them defaults on the form. I can probably just simplify the default to a "staffer" discount and the few tournaments that need to make the distinction can use the existing custom discount method so that it removes that potential confusion from the form.
I usually glance at most announcements posted on HSQB, and - from what I recall seeing - it's pretty rare.
ScoBo wrote:Does this general approach seem reasonable from a user perspective? Is it confusing? The pricing section is definitely the most complicated part of this form, so any suggestions to make it easier to use would be helpful.
Very much so!
ScoBo wrote:Right now, this only parses the thread title for tournament name, date, and location. I don't attempt to parse the post content for anything.
Ah, I see.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'm still looking for people willing to put in a small bit of work to keep the DB up to date. This is a really good tool for coaches who want to quickly find things like "tournaments within 100 miles of my school" as well as for anyone scheduling an event -- for example, for a college host, finding nearby tournaments at all levels lets you avoid conflicts with both other tournaments and high school events that may be hosted by potential members of your field. Not everyone wants to read through every thread on the message board to get involved with quizbowl, and having a separate tournament listing is a crucial component of outreach.

I am interested in signing up DB "captains" for each state (or multi-state regions in areas comprised of less active states). Your job is simply to make sure that everything going on in your state is listed properly in the DB -- middle school, high school, and college tournaments including things only announced on the NAQT schedule page or other non-forum places, and including NHBB. This can be done in ten minutes a week even in the most active areas. Go ahead and post here if you want to do this for your state.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I'd be willing to do this for Virginia.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

If Mike Bentley hasn't already hopped onto this, I'd be willing to do it for Washington.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I'll do this for Canada.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

I can do this for Northern California.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I haven't seen many UW people on here, so I could definitely take Wisconsin.

EDIT: Not sure if you would want to combine with MN or another more active region.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

I can do this for Missouri
Richard
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

I'll do it for Pennsylvania.
Andrew Nadig