2024 ARGOS (Set Announcement)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Serpentine284
Lulu

2024 ARGOS (Set Announcement)

Post by Serpentine284 »

I am proud to announce the 2024 Autumn-Ready Global Open Set (ARGOS), available for mirrors starting in fall of 2024. This is an open set (meaning teams playing are not required to be all from the same school) targeting between 3.5 and 4 dots on Ophir's difficulty scale. The set will be head-edited by Clark Smith, and I will be handling logistics. Tossups will be roughly 850 characters, with bonuses at 8 lines (not including answerlines). The set will follow standard mACF rules with 15 point powers and -5 point negs.

Our editors include myself, Daniel Ma, Mitch McCullar, Richard Niu, Vivek Sasse, Raymond Wang, Forrest Weintraub, Geoffrey Wu, Andrew Zeng, and Nathan Zhang. Additionally, our writing team includes Iain Carpenter, Aayush Goodapaty, Arya Karthik, Owen Mimno, and Rosa Xia.

Distribution:

The set will consist of 14 packets with 22/22 questions each. The distribution for each packet, along with the subject editors, is as follows:

4/4 History:

1/1 American History (Andrew Zeng)
1/1 European History (Amogh Kulkarni)
1/1 World History (Amogh Kulkarni)
1/1 Ancient/Other History (Andrew Zeng)

4.5/4.5 Science:

1/1 Biology (Geoffrey Wu)
1/1 Chemistry (Geoffrey Wu)
1/1 Physics (Vivek Sasse)
1/1 Mathematics/Computer Science (Geoffrey Wu (Mathematics), Richard Niu (Computer Science))
0.5/0.5 Other Science (Geoffrey Wu (Earth Science, Engineering), Forrest Weintraub (Astronomy))

4/4 Literature:

1/1 American Literature (Mitch McCullar)
1/1 British/Commonwealth Literature (Mitch McCullar)
1/1 European Literature (Mitch McCullar)
1/1 World Literature (Raymond Wang)

3.5/3.5 Fine Arts:

1/1 Visual Fine Arts (Nathan Zhang)
1/1 Auditory Fine Arts (Daniel Ma)
1/1 Other Visual Fine Arts (Raymond Wang)
0.5/0.5 Other Auditory Fine Arts (Forrest Weintraub (World Music, Jazz), Raymond Wang (Ballet/Dance))

4/4 RMPSS:

1/1 Religion (Clark Smith)
0.5/0.5 Mythology (Clark Smith)
1/1 Philosophy (Nathan Zhang)
1.5/1.5 Social Science (Amogh Kulkarni)

2/2 Other:

1/1 Geography (Daniel Ma)
0.5/0.5 Current Events (Andrew Zeng)
0.5/0.5 Other Academic (Andrew Zeng)

Hosting:

We are looking for hosts in regions of the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. If you would like to host a tournament on this set, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Mirror fees will be $60 per team. The set is currently 27% written, and we anticipate to have the set completely written and edited by October 1, 2024.

Thank you, and we hope you enjoy the set!
Amogh Kulkarni
Wayzata 2018-2021
Chicago 2021-2023
GSU 2023-2025