Fun Practice Formats

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Fun Practice Formats

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

I didn't feel like there was any other good place to post this, so I'm posting it here.

My team has some difficulties practicing, so I was wondering if you guys know of any fun practice formats.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024
jtachicago
Lulu

Re: Fun Practice Formats

Post by jtachicago »

quizbowlchamp1 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:47 pm I didn't feel like there was any other good place to post this, so I'm posting it here.

My team has some difficulties practicing, so I was wondering if you guys know of any fun practice formats.
https://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Fun_practice_formats
John Augustyn (11th Grade)
  • Notre Dame MS (Clarendon Hills, 2018-2021)
NAQT Stats
HDWhite
Lbuck!
Kimahri

Post by Lbuck! »

If you really need to switch it up I would recommend Two Headed Monster. If you don't know what that is, you take two of your more skilled players, and have them compete as a team against everyone else. The twist is that the two-person team's players cannot buzz in on a tossup for themselves. When they signal, their teammate has to give an answer. I don't recommend only doing this, but doing it every once in a while is a fun way to switch things up. When I ran my middle schools team I also sometimes just read trash packets as a little treat, but that's definitely not something you should do more than once a month.
Liam Buck, Wayzata class of 2024
BulldogBuzzers
Lulu

Post by BulldogBuzzers »

We like to do "quiz bowl charades" occasionally. This involves either pairing stronger players with less-experienced players or restricting the strongest player on one or both teams to not give the answer to the question when they buzz. Instead, they have to come up with their own further clues for the answerline extemporaneously until a teammate can get the answer. You do need to use an easy-difficulty packet, so the newbies can still get giveaways, or else it just devolves into the strong players answering and then using "sounds-like" clues, which doesn't really engage everyone the way this is supposed to.
Not sure if holding a practice with players of varying difficulties was your underlying issue, but this is a strategy to increase engagement if that's your situation.
Todd Gunther
Berwick Area