2023 British Novice

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
2isn'tawholenumber
Kimahri

2023 British Novice

Post by 2isn'tawholenumber »

Over the past five months, a group of writers came together to produce a housewritten set for the 2023 edition of the British Novice tournament, which was held yesterday. In a lack of “novice” difficulty sets being proposed for early 2024, I am pleased to announce that we are outsourcing the set to be played as a mirror in the US and Canada! The difficulty is 1 dot.
There are 13 packets which are 20/20 each. Each tossup is roughly 6-7 lines of size 10 TNR and there are powers. The set distribution is:

3.5/3.5 Science, broken down across the set as:
12/13 Biology
10/10 Chemistry
13/12 Physics
5/5 Maths
5/6 Other Science

3/3 Literature, broken down across the set as:
10/10 British Literature
13/13 European Literature
6/6 American Literature
10/10 World Literature (incl. Anglophone Commonwealth)

3.5/3.5 History, broken down across the set as:
10/10 British History
11/10 European History
11/12 World History
11/10 Ancient/Other History

2.5/2.5 Fine Arts, broken down across the set as:
13/13 Visual Fine Arts
13/13 Auditory Fine Arts
6/7 Other Fine Arts

3/3 Thought and Belief, broken down across the set as:
7/6 Philosophy
6/7 Social Science
13/13 Mythology
13/13 Religion

4.5/4.5 Bottom of the Distro, broken down across the set as:
13/13 Geography
13/13 Current Affairs
26/26 Popular Culture
7/6 Other Academic

The set was edited by a large team of editors, and each subject had at least two editors to ensure every question was looked at multiple times. The editors were:
Rhys Lewis (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Auditory Fine Arts, Other Fine Arts, Geography, Popular Culture)
Ben Russell Jones (Biology, European Literature, Visual Fine Arts, Auditory Fine Arts, Geography)
Andrew Rout (Chemistry, Maths, World Literature, History (Early Modern), Other Academic)
Thomas Hart (European Literature, History (Modern), Other Fine Arts, Philosophy, Social Science, Current Affairs)
Delia Cropper (Physics, Other Science, Mythology)
Justin Lee (Chemistry, History (Medieval), Religion)
Abigail Tan (Other Science, History (Ancient))
Jacob McLaughlin (World Literature, Philosophy, Social Science)
Michael Kohn (British Literature, Religion)
Oliver Hargrave (Religion)
Oscar O’Flanagan (Physics, Other Academic)
Ronny Jackson (Popular Culture)
Jeremy Sontchi (History (Ancient, Modern))
Ali Izzatdust (History (Medieval, Early Modern), Visual Fine Arts)
George Gowland (British Literature, Current Affairs, Popular Culture)
Robert Crawley (Mythology, Popular Culture)

You can view the stats from the two mirrors here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8577/
https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8578/

Obviously this set was written with a British audience in mind, and so a few of the questions will be unsuitable for being played across the pond; at least for novices, and so we will provide a list of questions we think may need to be “Atlanticised”, or adapted to fit an American/Canadian audience better.

The current prices of mirrors are tbc, and I will update this post once they are decided.

Any questions, please get in contact with me!
Rhys Lewis (he/him)
Cambridge '24
Nurostep
Lulu

Re: 2023 British Novice

Post by Nurostep »

Is there an email contact potential mirror hosts should use to express interest in using this set?
All of our buzzes can become powers if we have the courage to neg.
Sinecio Morales
(Rockford) Auburn HS '23
Johns Hopkins University '27
Oscario
Lulu

Post by Oscario »

Nurostep wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:30 pm Is there an email contact potential mirror hosts should use to express interest in using this set?
Best to email UK Quizbowl at [email protected] or message Rhys directly - email is on profile
Last edited by Oscario on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar O'Flanagan
Imperial College London 2019-23, 2024-
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

2isn'tawholenumber wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:16 pm Obviously this set was written with a British audience in mind, and so a few of the questions will be unsuitable for being played across the pond; at least for novices, and so we will provide a list of questions we think may need to be “Atlanticised”, or adapted to fit an American/Canadian audience better.
Might it make sense to bring on a few people to do all the "Atlanticising" a single time, so that distinct host sites don't have to duplicate work and the set is ready-to-play for all involved?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

IQBT has reached out to Rhys about working together on this for the novice project I mentioned in this thread. IQBT is set up to centralize the conversion of questions & coordinate different sites and outreach efforts.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

Is there any update on potential American mirrors? I emailed the listed email but never got a response
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:57 pm Is there any update on potential American mirrors? I emailed the listed email but never got a response
I just got permission yesterday to organize national mirrors of the set; I've been unable to post it yet due to illness in the family.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AKKOLADE wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:22 pm I just got permission yesterday to organize national mirrors of the set; I've been unable to post it yet due to illness in the family.
Apologies for the delay due to my illness, but the general thread is available here now.
Fred Morlan