Questions for 5th/6th grade?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
cslat
Kimahri

Questions for 5th/6th grade?

Post by cslat »

I run a county-level student program for students in 5th grade through high school. Finding a good question vendor for the youngest grades, 5th and 6th, has been a challenge. Over the past few years I've worked with a couple notorious non-pyramidal question vendors and the questions have been terrible. Does anyone have any advice on where I can purchase question sets that would be appropriate for 5th and 6th grade?

I would prefer pyramidal, but I'll settle for anything that is appropriate to the grade level and doesn't require hours and hours of fact-checking and editing on my part. Thank you!
Chris Slat
Monroe County (MI) Intermediate School District
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Questions for 5th/6th grade?

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This would be a great choice if they were still producing sets for this year, which I don't think they are, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll do a little bit of self-promotion here: I think my QUAOAR set would be a good fit. It's the fourth in a series of middle school/introductory sets I've produced, and accessibility to newer/younger players is one of my emphases in editing it.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

https://files.quizbowlpackets.com/2522/ ... et%201.pdf

I like this set for beginners. We played this at our first practice this year with our B team and they found it easier than other packets.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024
cslat
Kimahri

Post by cslat »

CPiGuy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:45 pm
This would be a great choice if they were still producing sets for this year, which I don't think they are, unfortunately.
I reached out to SAGES and it sounded like they didn't have a produced set on hand and would have to write one, and they've been too slow at communicating with me on that. Hopefully it's a temporary issue because I really really like the SAGES sets from years past.
I think my QUAOAR set would be a good fit. It's the fourth in a series of middle school/introductory sets I've produced, and accessibility to newer/younger players is one of my emphases in editing it.
The self-promotion is appreciated. This looks promising! I am e-mailing you about my tournament. Thank you!
Chris Slat
Monroe County (MI) Intermediate School District
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Hi Chris, thanks for the compliment about past SAGES sets. My apologies for my communication this year; I've had several other ongoing large commitments (both in quizbowl writing and beyond) and have not been as good as I'd like at responding about where I stand as I try to knock those off my plate. I do expect to continue offering sets in the future in general, but I do think this year may not be viable in a timeline workable for you. QUAOAR would be an awesome set to look into; I do hope you find something usable.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present