University of Ottawa NAQT Collegiate Novice (September 23, 2023)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
twoaday
Kimahri

University of Ottawa NAQT Collegiate Novice (September 23, 2023)

Post by twoaday »

Hi everyone! The University of Ottawa will be hosting a mirror of NAQT Collegiate Novice (CNS-222C) on Saturday, September 23rd, 2023. Once again we'll be running this concurrently with collegiate novice at the University of Toronto.

I (David Gayowsky) will be tournament director - please contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns via email at gayowsky.d @ gmail.com.

Fees and Discounts:
  • Base fee: $80 CAD
  • Staffer discount: $10 CAD per team for staffer with laptop.
  • Buzzer discount: $10 CAD per team with working buzzer set.
  • Shorthanded discount: $15 per team with less than three (i.e. one or two) players.
  • New to quizbowl discount: $15 per team from a school which did not attend any tournaments between September 1, 2022 and September 1, 2023.
  • Minimum fee: $40 CAD

Eligibility:
This tournament is intended for players who are new to quizbowl, hence:
  • Players should not have played a collegiate quizbowl tournament before 2023.
  • Players should not have extensive high school quizbowl experience, i.e. participation in HSNCT or PACE NSC.
If you believe that either a registered player should not be considered eligible by these standards, or if you believe a player should be considered eligible but does not meet these standards, please contact me - I am happy to discuss any concerns or exceptions.

*Updated (Clarified) Eligibility, September 12th:
To clarify eligibility standards, we poach these from the University of Toronto's NAQT Novice posting:
Any player who has never played quizbowl before (History Bowl and Reach for the Top do not count) is automatically eligible.
Players who have played quizbowl before are eligible so long as they satisfy all of the following conditions:
  • They have not scored over 25 PPG at a collegiate tournament (not including collegiate novice)
  • They have not scored over 30 PPG at a high school tournament or collegiate novice
  • They have not scored over 50 PPG at a high school novice tournament (including IS-A sets)
  • They have not played university quizbowl (i.e. attended any recognized tournaments) before September 2022
  • They have not previously qualified for or played at ICT or ACF Nationals

Teams may register through the NAQT website, found here.

Registration will be open on August 17th, 2023, and will close on September 20th, 2023.
Please ensure your teams are registered and rosters finalized before the closing date.

We currently have a field cap of 8 teams, however if spots have filled and we are able to secure additional buzzers, staffers, and room, we may be able to increase the field cap to 10 - please contact us if spots have filled and you are still interested in attending.

Logistics:
Currently we are looking at a start time of 10:00 AM, however this is liable to change. Further logistics information such as room numbers will be provided in the logistics email which will be sent before the tournament date to all registered teams.
David Gayowsky
University of Ottawa 2020, 2022, 2026