Planetfall (HS Regular) Available Fall 2023

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Planetfall (HS Regular) Available Fall 2023

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to announce a regular difficulty set, Planetfall, available Fall 2023, written by the quiz bowl team at the University School of Nashville. The set aims for a difficulty similar to SHOW-ME or KICKOFF from past years. The set will be head-edited by myself (Eric Mukherjee) and Jacob O’Rourke. Our subject editors are:

Eric Mukherjee (Science, History, RMPSS)
Aum Mundhe (Auditory Fine Arts)
Chandler West (Visual Fine Arts)
Gabe Forrest (European Lit, World/Other Lit)
Neal Joshi (American Lit, British Lit)

We’ll be providing 13 packets for the cost of $17 per team that attends your tournament. If you mirror our tournament, I expect you to have statistics posted within a week of your tournament happening (and the statistics should be posted in a post on the thread for your tournament-for an example of how I want this handled, look here).

If you are capable of providing advanced statistics, like TJSheets, HillSheets, or MODAQ, or will share electronic scoresheets with us, we will cut your mirror fee to $15/team. To provide them, please share the sheets with either Jacob or me at our emails.

The set will be available from September 1st, 2023 until a few days before the 2024 HSNCT at the latest.

Set Details:

The tossups in the set will be powermarked and will run at 6-7 lines. The bonus parts will be no longer than two lines long. The questions will be measured in Times New Roman, 10 point font.

Each packet will consist of 21 tossups and 21 three-part bonuses, distributed as follows:

4/4 Literature (1/1 each of American Lit, European, World, and Commonwealth)
4/4 History (1/1 each American, European, World, and Ancient/Other)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other Science)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Classical Music, 1/1 Painting/Sculpture, 1/1 Other Fine Arts)
3/3 RMPSS (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology, 0.5/0.5 Philosophy, 0.5/0.5 Social Science)
1/1 Geography
1/1 Pop Culture
1/1 Current Events

Mirroring:

I’d love for as many circuits as possible to have a mirror of this set. If you’d like to mirror this set, please email [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line “Planetfall mirroring” to help me make sure I don’t lose it in my email.

Playtesting:

If you have graduated from high school and would be willing to playtest this set, please send an email to both [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line “Planetfall playtesting”. Your input would be both helpful and valuable.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Planetfall (HS Regular) Available Fall 2023

Mirrors:
Bronco Bowl V @ Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego, CA, 9/23/2023) [Stats]
Battle of Edgehill @ University School of Nashville (Nashville, TN, 9/30/2023) [Stats]
Tusculum Earlybird @ Tusculum University (Tusculum, TN, 10/7/2023) [Stats]
IQBL Kickoff @ Northwest HS (Waukee, IA, 10/7/2023) [Stats]
Cavalier Season Opener @ Christ Church Episcopal (Greenville, SC, 10/14/2023) [Stats]
VCU Fall @ VCU (Richmond, VA, 10/28/2023) [Stats]
RIFT @ Rockhurst High School (Kansas City, MO, 11/4/2023) [Stats]
WUFAT VIII @ Washington University in St Louis (St Louis, MO, 11/4/2023) [Stats]
Fair Grove Fall Frenzy @ Fair Grove High School (Fair Grove, MO, 11/4/2023) [Stats]
UQC Nationwide Novice (Collegiate) @ Online (12/2/2023) [Stats]
EAST VII @ Eastside High School (Covington, GA, 1/13/2024) [Stats]
Winnebago Invitational @ Winnebago HS (Winnebago, IL, 1/27/2024)
PANDA @ St. Joseph's HS (South Bend, IN, 2/10/2024) [Stats]
TQBA Tournament @ ONLINE (2/10/2024) [Stats]
Duke Spring Tournament @ Duke University (Durham, NC, 2/24/2024) [Stats]
QuBIT X @ High Tech HS (Lincroft, NJ, 2/24/2024) [Stats]
Planetfall @ Harvard (Cambridge, MA, 3/2/2024) [Stats]
Quaker Spring Open @ University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA, 3/30/2024)

Tentative or Postponed mirrors:
Unnamed Winter Tournament @ Mira Loma HS (Sacramento, CA, January 2024)
Unnamed U of Washington Winter Tournament @ University of Washington (Seattle, WA, Winter)
Miami Valley Spring Invitational @ Miami Valley School (Dayton, OH, 3/2/2024)
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:10 pm, edited 58 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

We've had several mirror requests for the set (see the post above this one). Here's a map of our confirmed mirrors, as reflected by said post. If you're in a region that is far away from a mirror, please contact us (or follow up with our previous conversation) to see if we can set up a mirror near you.

Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

Any plans for someone to mirror this set in Alabama? ASCTE would like to play this set.
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

osbornrj wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:30 pm Any plans for someone to mirror this set in Alabama? ASCTE would like to play this set.
I'm glad you asked Mrs. Osborne - I just emailed Lee Henry and Anthony Hamley yesterday about potentially setting up a mirror in your neck of the woods, but if there's anyone else who would be interested in mirroring, we would love to make it happen!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Small update - we're looking at a few mirrors in Fall 2024, so if any regions would like to mirror it then, we're extending the embargo on this set until the end of 2024.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD