CANCELED - Spring Holiday Duos (4/22/23, HS open duos for girls and people comfortable aligning with girls)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
joycan98
Lulu

CANCELED - Spring Holiday Duos (4/22/23, HS open duos for girls and people comfortable aligning with girls)

Post by joycan98 »

Hello all! I will be hosting the Spring Holiday Duos, an online HS open duos tournament for girls and people comfortable being grouped with girls, on Saturday, April 22, 2023. This is the third iteration of my Holiday Duos tournament, and all the same eligibility rules apply.

Eligibility
This tournament is intended to be a fun, casual, and safe space for people to play quiz bowl free from the discomfort that can be caused by the male presence. This tournament is open to girls and other people comfortable being grouped with girls; each person may use their own discretion in their interpretation of that language and whether it resonates with them. There will be no enforcement of this requirement other than the honor of each person involved. No questions will be asked and no answers will be expected about the gender identity of any person who signs up for this tournament. I ask that people to which this language does not apply do not take advantage of this leniency and that they be conscious of their effect on the places they are in.
It will be assumed that everyone at the tournament resonates with the female experience in some way. If this doesn't align with someone's gender or causes them dysphoria, they shouldn't participate. This specifically means that cisgender men should not be playing or staffing this tournament. Other people are welcome to participate if they feel that they relate to and/or have lived through the female experience of quiz bowl and if being in a female-oriented space is comfortable for them. The intention of the language I used is to be as broad as possible while also making it clear that the space is fundamentally centered on the female experience.
All players must be in the class of 2023 or younger. There are no experience restrictions on this tournament.

Format
This tournament will be run on MAKEMAKE, a novice high school tournament set with both tossups and bonuses. More details about the set can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=390777.
The tournament will take place on Discord on April 22 and will begin at 11am EST. I will run as many rounds/support as large a field as I have the ability to, so the tournament could end anywhere between 1pm and 6pm EST.
The cost of this tournament will be $20 per duo, paid through Venmo or PayPal. I do not want this cost to pose an obstacle to players. If for any reason you think this cost might prevent you from participating in this tournament, please reach out to me and let me know!

Registration
Register by filling out this Google form: https://forms.gle/vzk52YakQocU8o6r8. Players may sign up either with a partner or as a free agent (to be paired with someone else by me). I am happy to accept registrations under pseudonyms or alternate names, and to record statistics as such.

Staffers
If you are eligible to (see Eligibility) and would like to help staff this tournament, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/QkBJ9Kao5ux1hMuX6. Staffers will be paid $20 for their help.
Last edited by joycan98 on Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy An, Harvard
@joy0105
joycan98
Lulu

Re: Spring Holiday Duos (4/22/23, HS open duos for girls and people comfortable aligning with girls)

Post by joycan98 »

Unfortunately, I had some schedule conflicts come up and will have to cancel this tournament :( But I will see you in the summer for the next edition of Holiday Duos!
Joy An, Harvard
@joy0105