New Middle School Introductory Set

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
tiwonge
Yuna

New Middle School Introductory Set

Post by tiwonge »

It's been a few years since the last Middle School Introductory Set, and it's time for a new set. The set has been well-received, but some of the pop culture and current events questions are getting dated, and it would be nice to have a new set of questions for teams to use to introduce new players to quiz bowl.

If you'd be interested in helping out with this project--brainstorming answerlines, writing questions, or just being a part of the planning, let me know. This set is not intended to be for competition, so anybody is welcome to help out. It's a good writing project for people who are new to quiz bowl writing, so even if you've never written questions before, you're welcome to be a part of this.

The last Middle School Introductory Set's first packet can be found on the packet archive here:
https://ms.quizbowlpackets.com/2522/
(If you want to see the entire set of five packets, I can share that with you if you ask.)

PACE is sponsoring this set, and has agreed to provide a small stipend for writers.

My goal is to start planning the answerlines by March, and to start writing by May. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Middle School Introductory Set

Post by Stained Diviner »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:39 pm It's been a few years since the last Middle School Introductory Set, and it's time for a new set. The set has been well-received, but some of the pop culture and current events questions are getting dated, and it would be nice to have a new set of questions for teams to use to introduce new players to quiz bowl.

If you'd be interested in helping out with this project--brainstorming answerlines, writing questions, or just being a part of the planning, let me know. This set is not intended to be for competition, so anybody is welcome to help out. It's a good writing project for people who are new to quiz bowl writing, so even if you've never written questions before, you're welcome to be a part of this.

The last Middle School Introductory Set's first packet can be found on the packet archive here:
https://ms.quizbowlpackets.com/2522/
(If you want to see the entire set of five packets, I can share that with you if you ask.)

PACE is sponsoring this set, and has agreed to provide a small stipend for writers.

My goal is to start planning the answerlines by March, and to start writing by May. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me.
When will this set be released?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
tiwonge
Yuna

Re: New Middle School Introductory Set

Post by tiwonge »

We're still writing it. we didn't get enough done over the summer, and then once classes started, work slowed to a crawl. I'll try to get another effort up over break, but because of this delay, probably not until the end of the school year.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams