Lightning Run IV (LRIV) (Online, Open HS) (3/10/23)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

Lightning Run IV (LRIV) (Online, Open HS) (3/10/23)

Post by nicole. »

Andrew Gao and I will be running Lightning Run IV, an HS Open duos tournament on SANDS, on Friday, March 10th, 2023, for experienced high school players.

Date and Time:

The tournament will occur on March 10th on Discord, starting at 6:30 PM EST. All players and coaches should be logged onto the server by 6 PM EST. Buzzing will be done on buzzin.live.

Questions
This tournament will be using SANDS. You can read more about the set here.

There will be 20 tossups and bonuses per round. Given the advent of paired tossups and bonuses and my experiences working with timers at the NCTs, we feel that adding bonuses will not be a significant challenge within a 15-minute timeframe. The tournament will use PACE Rules, with some exceptions outlined below.

Event Format:
Teams will be seeded into preliminary brackets, followed by re-seeding for playoffs. All teams will be guaranteed ten rounds. Teams are expected to stay and play the entire event, even if not in contention for the championship. This tournament will use the ruleset from Lightning Run 1. There will be 20-point powers and 10-point midpoint buzzes, with tossups going dead immediately after the questions are read. Therefore, if a team buzzes first and gets the question wrong, they will automatically be negged. Bonuses will go dead after 2 seconds. There will also be a 15-minute timer, with 7.5-minute halves for each round.

The field cap of this tournament is 18 duos. We will only expand beyond this if each room has a moderator and a scorekeeper.

Eligibility:
Duos are intended to be just that, two people, not more, not less. If you don't have a duos partner, you can sign up on the free agent list, where you can either reach out to other free agents or be automatically matched. All players must be in either middle school or high school. (Class of 2023 and younger)

People playing this mirror must not be eligible for other SANDS mirrors or must not be able to play a novice tournament in good faith. We expect players to use discretion to avoid taking business from standard format SANDS Mirrors. Any player playing Lightning Run IV must have not been exposed to SANDS previously.

Prizes
The top 3 scorers and the winning duo will receive a "trash" book prize mailed to them through Amazon Prime (if you are within 2 hours of Lewiston, Maine I will likely just deliver this to you).

Payment:
There will be a flat fee of $40 per duo (or $20 per free agent). This can be paid by Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal. I'll reply with payment options and methods when you send in your official registration.

Andrew and I have set up a Team Formation sheet here. Once you have set who you're playing with, email me to confirm your registration.

Please ensure you register before the day of the tournament. The deadline for dropping out of the field is one week prior to the event (Friday, March 3rd, in this case), after which you will be responsible for the full amount due.

Staff:
We will take moderators and scorekeepers who want to staff this tournament. All staffers not affiliated with attending teams will be paid $18. You can sign up to staff here. All staffers must have an external microphone (through a headset or otherwise).

Camera Rules:
As we are using buzzin.live, we will allow single camera two device setups where the buzzin.live screen can clearly be seen through a camera monitor. If a player is using buzzin.live on their computer, we request a camera setup that allows us to see the player's hands and keyboard to ensure no foul play.

Cheating:
Cheating will not be tolerated at this tournament. If sufficient evidence is found, the guilty parties will be banned from the tournament and disqualified from future tournaments.

If you have any questions, feel free to email myself at [email protected] or Andrew at [email protected]. We hope you can make it on the 10th.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: Lightning Run IV (LRIV) (Online, Open HS) (3/10/23)

Post by komododragon655 »

With about one month to the tournament, we are up to 8 duos, of which 2 are officially registered. This is just a reminder to email either of us at [email protected] or [email protected] to confirm your registration. We would be delighted to have more duos, so put your name down on the Team Formation sheet and play Lightning Run!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
nicole.
Rikku

Re: Lightning Run IV (LRIV) (Online, Open HS) (3/10/23)

Post by nicole. »

The field for this tournament has filled. If you have signed up, you will get a discord server invite today. If you have not contacted myself or Andrew regarding payment, please do that before friday.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association