Gauging Interest: Big 10 Tournament?

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Gauging Interest: Big 10 Tournament?

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

This has been on my mind for a little bit now, and it's just a hypothetical right now, but:

Every Big 10 school has a quizbowl team. The vast majority of those teams are competitive on the nationals level. Would these teams be interested in a closed tournament for the Big 10 schools? The details are murky right now, but here are my current thoughts:

- It would be online. This is not ideal, but where would you host a one-off tournament with the goal of both Rutgers and Nebraska showing up?
- It would be on BHSU or some other 3+ dot set. This is mainly because I want the teams to send their best squads.
- I would allow some Midwestern teams to act as honorary Big 10 teams - for example, Chicago, Notre Dame, and WUSTL would be welcome to join.

It's a bit of an unusual concept, which is why I'm floating it here and not just announcing it cold. I'd like to hear feedback before I go forward with the idea.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: Gauging Interest: Big 10 Tournament?

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

This is a cute idea but I have a sneaking suspicion that the BHSU writing team would not really approve use of the set for this given that the main site (midwest) ((est. 2/25/23, come play)) would presumably be aiming to get teams in this hypothetical field
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

I would love a Big Ten championship. I like it less if it were online, but I understand the need in this case.

I would absolutely not send a Maryland team if these "guest" teams were invited. No offense, but fuck off!
connor mayers
maryland
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:21 pm This is a cute idea but I have a sneaking suspicion that the BHSU writing team would not really approve use of the set for this given that the main site (midwest) ((est. 2/25/23, come play)) would presumably be aiming to get teams in this hypothetical field
Great point. The other big non-official set available this spring is MRNA II, and it doesn't look like there's any overlap between this tournament's hypothetical player base and the writers of that set.

Going with that set might make the tournament a bit more enjoyable for the teams outside the top 5, too. So let's go forth assuming this would be run on MRNA II.
Sarah Benner

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I do think that Connor is right in pointing out that it's very strange to both go for "Midwestern teams" and big 10 because one sort of defeats the point of the other (and to some extent weakens the idea of online play)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Lol yeah let's do this.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
wrenaissance
Kimahri

Post by wrenaissance »

Haha, I don't know if Nebraska would wanna get drubbed by these nationally competitive Big 10 schools. :P One of the best parts is that in person adrenaline and travel too, and since we don't really do 3+ dot, MRNA II is kind of our big one for the spring semester. I suppose I can check what the people think....
Last edited by wrenaissance on Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
wren - UNL '24 - they/them
Official Captain President
wowzaitsme#5606

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If the point is a Big Ten tournament, then do the Big 10 schools. If the point is a Midwestern tournament, then do Midwestern schools.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Feedback's clear - this would be restricted to Big 10 schools only.
Sarah Benner

BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Real question is does affiliate lacrosse member Johns Hopkins get to play.
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24 '28
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

L.H.O.O.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:06 am Feedback's clear - this would be restricted to Big 10 schools only.
That makes sense to me. Like if you claim to be an exclusive conference and just like let schools out in California or New Jersey or Maryland play, does that make any sense?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Cheynem wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:47 am
L.H.O.O.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:06 am Feedback's clear - this would be restricted to Big 10 schools only.
That makes sense to me. Like if you claim to be an exclusive conference and just like let schools out in California or New Jersey or Maryland play, does that make any sense?
oh god if this becomes a recurring thing i'm going to have to invite UCLA and USC
Sarah Benner

Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

Chicago was in the Big 10 until the 40s. Our athletic teams have been having an off year for a while now so we're not technically current members, but my understanding is that we're welcome back in as soon as we get our football team back in shape.
Ned Tagtmeier
St. Mark's School of Texas/St. Marx '21
UChicago '25

Literature bores me, especially great literature.
Get stewed: Books are a load of crap.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Og's Magog Bog wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:38 am
Chicago was in the Big 10 until the 40s. Our athletic teams have been having an off year for a while now so we're not technically current members, but my understanding is that we're welcome back in as soon as we get our football team back in shape.
Couldn't be any worse than Northwestern.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Og's Magog Bog wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:38 am Chicago was in the Big 10 until the 40s. Our athletic teams have been having an off year for a while now so we're not technically current members, but my understanding is that we're welcome back in as soon as we get our football team back in shape.
I'll have to research it more, but what I've found is that Chicago is currently a D3 team and an affiliate member of the Midwest Conference.

My original post naming Chicago as a potential "honorary Big 10 member" was because I believed Chicago had no varsity sports teams and thus constituted a special case. As it stands, I would still listen to arguments for and against the school's inclusion in the "quizbowl Big 10," but it seems that many of the people interested in this event are hostile to that idea.
Sarah Benner

Og's Magog Bog
Lulu

Post by Og's Magog Bog »

L.H.O.O.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:12 pm
Og's Magog Bog wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:38 am Chicago was in the Big 10 until the 40s. Our athletic teams have been having an off year for a while now so we're not technically current members, but my understanding is that we're welcome back in as soon as we get our football team back in shape.
I'll have to research it more, but what I've found is that Chicago is currently a D3 team and an affiliate member of the Midwest Conference.

My original post naming Chicago as a potential "honorary Big 10 member" was because I believed Chicago had no varsity sports teams and thus constituted a special case. As it stands, I would still listen to arguments for and against the school's inclusion in the "quizbowl Big 10," but it seems that many of the people interested in this event are hostile to that idea.
I wasn't being serious. Connor's position here makes sense to me.
Ned Tagtmeier
St. Mark's School of Texas/St. Marx '21
UChicago '25

Literature bores me, especially great literature.
Get stewed: Books are a load of crap.
BenWeiner27
Wakka

Post by BenWeiner27 »

Can the PAC-12 do a tournament and then we have a Rose Bowl match the night before ACF Nationals or something?
Ben Weiner
Wayzata '20
Minnesota '24 '28
VP of Tournament Direction, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

ACF Nationals should just be four teams.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Sarah Benner

vishdog101
Lulu

Post by vishdog101 »

BenWeiner27 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 am Real question is does affiliate lacrosse member Johns Hopkins get to play.
these are the questions everyone should be asking :p
vishal sivamani
coppell 21 | jhu 25
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Please respond to this if your club hasn't already! I have six responses so far, and I will be using it to select a date. I'd hate to hold the tournament on a date some teams couldn't make it.
Sarah Benner

ParkerTwin1
Kimahri

Post by ParkerTwin1 »

I think this is a great idea. I've been trying to figure out how to plan one for the SEC.
Will Parker

Vice-President Academic Quiz Bowl at Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University '23
West Point High School '18