SOUNDTRACK 2 (Electric Moog-aloo) global announcement

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Beast Mode
Lulu

SOUNDTRACK 2 (Electric Moog-aloo) global announcement

Post by Beast Mode »

Some three and a half years after the SOUNDTRACK authors told me that I should write SOUNDTRACK 2, I'm pleased to announce that I've written SOUNDTRACK 2. This is another audio tournament on scores from pop culture. Mirrors can be held in any physical or online setting you like for a fee of zero dollars (which hosts should raise by charging players zero dollars).

Gameplay:

-SOUNDTRACK 2 consists of five rounds of 20 regulation tossups each, plus one tiebreaker (or three tiebreakers, in the case of round 5). There's also a packet of rejected tossups. There are no powers.

-Each non-rejects round has the following distribution:
  • 5 tossups on movies from before 1980
  • 5 tossups on movies from 1980-1999
  • 6 tossups on movies from 2000 to the present
  • 2 tossups on TV
  • 2 tossups on musicals
  • 1 tiebreaker tossup (or 3 if it's round 5). These are mostly movie common links whose clues come from wildly disparate decades.
(Sorry, I don't know video games.)

-Some of the movie tossups flit across a chronological boundary, e.g. a tossup on "movies from 1980-1999" might have a 1970s clue.

-The questions depart from the "work/series" model of SOUNDTRACK to include "Name the composer" tossups and common links ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. While I don't have multiple tossups on the same movie or composer, there are composers who recur. The classical equivalent would be a set having a tossup on Beethoven that clues his piano sonatas, a tossup on Germany that includes Beethoven symphony clues, and a tossup on Fidelio.

Acknowledgements:

My playtest mirror was attended by Sam Brochin, Mike Cheyne, John Lawrence, Aakash Patel, Mike Sorice, Jason Thompson, and Danny Vopova. (Aakash won.) They gave superb feedback and made the set so much better.

Feedback on early drafts of some movie questions was provided by my parents, my youngest brother, Connor Teevens, Chris Wolfe, Kurtis Droge, and Will Nediger. My parents and Alex Damisch gave the Broadway questions a listen.

Email me at saul [dot] hankin [at] gmail [dot] com to request the set. You can also email me with questions and feedback, or post here if your concern is one that others might have (and doesn't spoil answers).

EDITS: clarity
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
Beast Mode
Lulu

Re: SOUNDTRACK 2 (Electric Moog-aloo) global announcement

Post by Beast Mode »

Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia