2022 ACF Winter at University of Toronto (05/11/2022)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

2022 ACF Winter at University of Toronto (05/11/2022)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada and surrounding regions!

I am pleased to announce that the Eastern Canada site of 2022 ACF Winter will be held at the University of Toronto on Saturday, November 5, 2022.

The tournament will take place in person, building TBD. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 AM and gameplay will begin at 9:00. I, Meghan Torchia will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to me at meghan {D O T} torchia {A T} mail {D O T} utoronto {D O T} ca, or you can post a comment on this post.

Eligibility
In general, teams where players are all attending the same school and all taking at least one class for credit during the 2022–2023 school year are eligible to play 2022 ACF Winter. ACF’s full eligibility rules are available here. Questions about eligibility should be directed to [email protected].

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Rules specifically pertaining to online tournaments have been rendered in blue.

Registration
Fill out the central 2022 ACF Winter registration form with all relevant information. Please also send me an email or message (Discord, Facebook, etc.) letting me know that you've registered. The form is here. The field for each site can be found here.

If possible, teams should register for the site that is geographically closest to them and/or is in the region they would normally attend. The field cap is TBD, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist or potentially assigned to another site. Please register by October 31, 2022.

All prices are in CAD.

Fees
  • Base fee: $150
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$100
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$75
  • Travel discount: −$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way
  • Buzzers: −$10 per functional buzzer system
  • Staffers: −$15 per staffer with a functional laptop. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out this form.
The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that have not sent a team to any mainstream collegiate academic tournament (not counting exclusively novice tournaments) since September 2021, and which have no players who competed in non-novice collegiate tournaments during that same period.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or high school student) prior to September 1, 2021, is required to submit a half-packet. Please email [email protected] if you are unsure whether your team is required to submit a half-packet. A team that is not required to submit a packet may submit an optional packet by the no-penalty deadline for a $50 discount.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT SCT (Division I or Division II), NAQT ICT, and typical college-level academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Pop culture or “hybrid” tournaments, HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT’s Collegiate Novice series sets do not.

Here is the submission schedule:
  • September 4: −$50
  • September 18: −$25
  • October 2: no penalty
  • October 16: +$25
  • October 23: +$50
There is an additional $10/day penalty for each day after October 23rd. If teams required to submit a half-packet have not submitted by October 30th, they will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

If your team is going to submit a half-packet, whether required or not, email [email protected] to request a distribution. All finished packets must be sent to that email before 11:59 Pacific time on the day listed to receive the discount or penalty. Please format the half-packet in .doc or .docx before sending it. The email subject line should list the name of the school, the team number (if applicable), and the words “half-packet.”
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: 2022 ACF Winter at University of Toronto (05/11/2022)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for signing up to play and/or staff the 2022 ACF Winter Mirror this Saturday. This is your logistics email. Please read it carefully and contact me as soon as possible if you have questions, if I missed something, or if anything about your registration has changed. If you’re playing, please share this email with the rest of your teammates.

Please note that masks are mandatory at this event. If you forget yours or something happens to it at the tournament we will have extras on hand to give you.

This tournament will take place at [REDACTED]. If you are driving, there are several parking lots/garages nearby. Control room will be [XX]. Please arrive at control by 8:45 AM for the opening meeting. Games will start at 9:00 (assuming room booking services has done their job this time); if you are late we will start without you. We are operating under a strict time limit and cannot afford to be delayed.

For those taking the subway, please note that there is a closure this weekend on Line 1 from St. Clair to Sheppard Stations.

We will be using a Discord server for communication purposes during this event. The link is here: [REDACTED]
Please be sure to change your server nickname to your real name and react to the honour pledge in order to receive a role.

SCHEDULE
We have 20 teams attending this tournament. Teams will be split into two prelim brackets of 10 teams playing 9 rounds each. This will be followed by a rebracket into 5 brackets of 4 teams each for an additional 2 rounds. This will be followed by advantaged finals if necessary. The full schedule will be posted in the Discord server.

PAYMENT

You can pay your team fees via Interac e-transfer to uoftquizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com. Please discuss with Sky Li if you have questions about payment.

LUNCH

As this is a time-limited event, I have organized a group pizza order for those interested. I have circulated a form around to the club execs, please speak to a member of your club executive if you’d like to be added to the order. Costs will be added to your club’s tournament fees. If you don’t want pizza, there are lunch options nearby, but I strongly advise you not to stray too far from the tournament site as lunch will likely be shorter than usual (expect around 30 minutes). Let me know if you have any questions about this. Staffers will receive free pizza and do not need to fill out the form.

CONDUCT

Cheating, obviously, will not be tolerated at this event. In addition, behaviour that is rude, unsportsmanlike, bigoted, or otherwise disrespectful is not acceptable and will be dealt with accordingly by either a moderator or myself. I encourage any players who witness objectionable behaviour or are made to feel uncomfortable to approach a staff member about their experience.

As always, please reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns about the event. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

Meghan
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023