IHSSBCA Kickoff Tournament @ Fenton HS (11/19/22)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MLaudermith
Wakka

IHSSBCA Kickoff Tournament @ Fenton HS (11/19/22)

Post by MLaudermith »

On Saturday, November 19, 2022, Fenton HS in Bensenville, IL (just west of the O'Hare Airport) will proudly host the northern Chicagoland site for the IHSSBCA David L. Riley Kickoffs. I, Mike Laudermith, will serve as tournament director.

Question Set:
IS-215 from NAQT

Rules:
Kickoffs follow all rules for IHSSBCA tournaments: http://ihssbca.org/wp-content/uploads/t ... trules.pdf

Qualification:
The top 15% of teams at each site, rounded up, will qualify for the High School National Championship Tournament. Teams from schools that meet NAQT’s definition of a small school and finish sufficiently well will qualify for NAQT’s Small School National Championship.

Fee:
The entry fee is $65 per team. Schools are expected to bring a working buzzer system and a staffer for the tournament. Let me know if you are unable to bring a buzzer or a staffer. Every school must have a current IHSSBCA member to register for a Kickoff; if you are not a member, you must join to enter a team or teams: http://ihssbca.org/wp-content/uploads/m ... p_form.pdf.

Staffing:
The tournament is in definite need of moderators/scorekeepers. If you are interested in staffing, which comes with remuneration (likely around $50) and lunch, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/YJyiB2cDCXyNqNVT6.

The official registration form has not yet been posted on the IHSSBCA website, but coaches wishing to enter their team(s) can contact me at [email protected]. Checks must be made payable to Fenton High School and sent to...
ATTN: Mike Laudermith
Fenton High School
1000 W. Green St
Bensenville, IL 60106

Current Field:
Timothy Christian A
Timothy Christian B
Buffalo Grove A
Buffalo Grove B
Hoffman Estates
Waubonsie Valley A
Waubonsie Valley B
Barrington A
Barrington B
Barrington C
Barrington D
Benet Academy A
Benet Academy B
Fenton
Elmwood Park
Walter Payton A
Walter Payton B
Walter Payton C
Woodlands Academy A
Woodlands Academy B
Loyola Academy A
Loyola Academy B
Latin A
Latin B
Maine East A
Maine East B
Glenbard North A
Glenbard North B
Glenbard North C
Palatine A
Palatine B
Saint Ignatius
Last edited by MLaudermith on Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:22 am, edited 17 times in total.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
MLaudermith
Wakka

Re: IHSSBCA Kickoff Tournament @ Fenton HS (11/19/22)

Post by MLaudermith »

The official IHSSBCA registration form for Kickoffs has now been posted: https://ihssbca.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ffform.pdf
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

With about 3 weeks to go until Kickoffs, I still have an opening in the Challenge division.

Also, I am still definitely in need of staffers. If you are interested in staffing, which comes with remuneration (likely around $50) and lunch, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/YJyiB2cDCXyNqNVT6.
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Due to insufficient registration for the Challenge division, all teams have now been combined into a single tournament.

Details of the tournament format will be announced early next week, but the current plan is to play 5 rounds of preliminary games using power matching. Then, the one 5-0 team, five 4-1 teams, and two wildcards from among the 3-2 teams will be seeded into two parallel playoff brackets. The remaining 24 teams will be seeded into consolation brackets. All teams will play three games in the afternoon. The top team from each playoff bracket then competes in a final championship game, while the second teams play a 3rd place game.
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Yesterday's IHSSBCA Kickoff Tournament at Fenton HS was a big success! Many thanks to all the teams and players who came out to compete.

First, congratulations to our top 4 teams...
Buffalo Grove A
Waubonsie Valley A
Barrington A
Timothy Christian A

Congrats as well to Rohan Ganeshan of Buffalo Grove for being the tournament's #1 individual player, finishing the day with over 160 points per game.

The Fenton Kickoff was a qualifying event for both NAQT Nationals and the PACE National Scholastic Championship (Gold-certified).
The following teams qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament:
Buffalo Grove A
Waubonsie Valley A
Barrington A
Timothy Christian A
Barrington C
Walter Payton A

The following teams qualified for the NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament:
Timothy Christian A
Woodlands A

The following teams qualified for the PACE NSC:
Buffalo Grove A
Waubonsie Valley A
Barrington A
Timothy Christian A
Barrington C
Walter Payton A
Loyola A

Complete tournament stats can be found here: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament/s ... t_id=13909
If you note any errors in the stats, please let me know and I can get those corrected.

I must extend my sincere appreciation to the many people who made this tournament possible...
Fenton coaches Jon Aguilar and Linda Santinello, who handled much of the logistics.
David Reinstein, who provided the template for the card system used in the prelims.
Brad Fischer and Kristin Strey, who prepared the cards and provided invaluable advice on the tournament format and preliminary seeding of the teams.
Tom Egan, who spent all day in Tournament Central entering tournament stats with aplomb.
An excellent group of moderators and scorekeepers who were able to staff every game room (something I did not think was going to happen at the start of the week):
Colby Burnett
Ali Nagib
Matt Welmers
Ulysses Capistran
Tony Daccardo
Wendy Stanley
Denise Kreb
Alex DeWitt
Lauren Kennedy
Peter Cipriano
Alec Loessy
Colin Aguilar
B. J. Ryan
Jeff Price
Jonathan Legendre
Ned Lauber
Lucas Pham
Kelly Tsogtjargal
Khulan Gantulga
Khaliun Gantulga

If you have any concerns/complaints/suggestions for the Fenton Kickoff or any future IHSSBCA events, you can share them with me or please direct them to Association Chair Brad Fischer ([email protected]). Good luck to all of your teams with the rest of the Scholastic Bowl season!
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large