ACC Quizbowl

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
Krazy
Lulu

ACC Quizbowl

Post by Krazy »

Hello Quizbowl Community. Fourteen of the current fifteen ACC Schools have been active in the quiz bowl world as recently as 2021. As the person that is currently in the process making quizbowl a registered student organization at Syracuse University, I am very pleased by that. From my understanding there is little or no organization between our organizations and there is currently no conference championship. To be completely honest even debate has us beat in that fashion. Look it up the ACC Debate Championship is a real thing and it proves that our conference can have both battles of brawn and battles of brain while also existing in a separate national championship structure. The only thing on the line at the ACC Debate Championships is the Conference title as there are still separate regionals and nationals for debate from my understanding. Another major positive of the ACC Debate Championships are that they are sponsored by the ACC Academic Consortium which means entry fees are free and other costs of attendance are subsidized. With all of that being said I have some proposals. Let's not let debate be the only academic pursuit that has an ACC Championship, I propose we create an ACC Championship for quizbowl. There are a couple of ways I could see this being facilitated, the first being we make a proposal to our provosts requesting that the ACC Academic Consortium sponsor such a championship. The second way I could see this being facilitated is having the championship virtually. The last way I could see it being facilitated would be the championship occurring at one of the research triangle schools, this I see as the least likely as it would most likely require air travel for about half of the conference and so it is probably infeasible. Relating to the questions that could be used, I would hope that if we receive support from the ACC Academic Consortium, they would pay for a set to be written or at least cover the necessary fees to run a credible mirror. If we do not have their support I see two options mirroring a set with less geographic/online limits or writing our own set. As someone who only has a little bit of writing experience this is a question that would have to be answered by someone else. To conclude the time has come for there to be a standalone ACC Championship in quizbowl. I would ask if you know anyone who is involved with a quizbowl organization at an ACC School that they pm me or respond to this post. I hope to make a discord to make communication easier but I am also not great at that and so I need help there as well. I hope to speak to all of you soon.
Daniel Kolodny
Brighton (Rochester, NY) 2019-Captain 2016-2019
UAlbany->Binghamton->Syracuse 2023, 2026L-Brought the program on campus in 2022-23