THE VALLEY CUP: THE HUDSON VALLEY CHAMPIONSHIPS (NY/NJ/CT/LI)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
a Joe
Rikku

THE VALLEY CUP: THE HUDSON VALLEY CHAMPIONSHIPS (NY/NJ/CT/LI)

Post by a Joe »

I am pleased to announce, in affiliation with Hastings High School Academic Challenge, the inaugural Valley Cup, in-person, in Hastings-on-Hudson, Westchester County, New York! All pertinent information is below.

The tournament will be co-directed by myself and Benny Feldman (no relation!).

Location and Dates

The Valley Cup will be hosted at Hastings High School, 1 Mount Hope Boulevard, Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, a few minutes away from exit 12-13 on the Saw Mill River Parkway. We chose this location since it’s right off the parkway and accessible to every team. Hastings High School is also conveniently located a 20-minute walk from Hastings-on-Hudson Station on the Hudson Line of the Metro-North.

The tournament will take place on January 7, 2023, from 9 AM to 5 PM, with registration opening at 8:15 AM.

Questions/Format

The Valley Cup will use NAQT set IS-212A, a set of easy difficulty. We will be using the standard 20/20 format and NAQT rules, but there will be no game clock. There will be no computational math tossups; there will, however, be computational math bonuses.

Teams will be fairly placed into preliminary brackets before being re-seeded for playoffs. Teams will be guaranteed a minimum of 10 games; teams will be expected to play all 10 rounds, even if you are not in contention for the championship.

Teams

There are a maximum of 6 players per team, four of whom may play at once. If you wish to bring more players than that, please register additional teams. There are no exceptions to this rule. Teams may play short, with one player as a minimum. Nobody may switch teams during the tournament, such as from “A” to “B” or otherwise.

The field is capped at 36 teams. You will be placed onto a waitlist if you miss the cutoff and will enter the field as teams drop or the field expands (if there is enough interest, we guarantee that the field will expand).

We are happy to allow pseudonymous teams and teams not directly sponsored by their district to register. However, we do have certain requirements for these teams, so please contact us via phone or email prior to registration and we will be happy to work with you.

It is not mandatory for a coach, parent, or adult to attend with their team; our team provides adequate supervision for all.

Readers, Buzzers, and Question Sets

Each school is required to bring one reader for every two teams attending a tournament. Schools that cannot bring readers will be charged a $50 fee per team. Keep in mind this does not have to be a coach! It can be a player who would rather read, an extra player, a parent, an alumnus, someone’s friend, sibling, or third cousin twice removed, or anyone else that can read and scorekeep.

Buzzer discounts and Question Sets are no longer being offered. Question sets can be obtained free of charge on naqt.com after the tournament.

Prizes

Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 teams after each tournament and the very best individual with the highest average Points per Game overall. The eight or so high scorers at each tournament will be awarded book prizes. The champion of the Valley Cup will be awarded a traveling trophy. We may add additional prizes at our discretion.

Valley Cup

Teams in Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster counties are eligible for the Valley Cup, which will be presented at the close of the tournament to the highest ranking team from eligible counties.

The Valley Cup is the highest Quiz Bowl honor bestowed upon a Hudson Valley team, similar in stature to, but unaffiliated with, the former Tri-State Trophy of MSG Varsity's The Challenge (R).

Fees

The fee structure is as follows:

$85 per team per tournament
$50 additional per team per tournament if no readers are brought
$0 additional if 1 reader is brought
-$25 for each additional reader

We can process cash, checks, and purchase orders. We are happy to provide a W9 and an invoice on request. Please make out checks to “Hastings High School”. You can mail checks, POs, and any other paperwork to P.O. Box 205, Nesconset, NY, 11767.

Payment is due the morning of the event.

Registration

In order to register, fill out this form. Once you receive a confirmation from us, you are officially registered.

Please ensure that you register prior to the day of the tournament! Registration closes one week prior to the event.

Food

We do not serve breakfast or lunch and teams should either bring food or prepare to go out and obtain it. We will provide a map of local restaurants in Hastings-on-Hudson during the morning meeting of the event. There are many options within a short walk of the school. Lunch generally lasts an hour. Teams should eat breakfast prior to arrival.

Stats

Full and complete team and individual statistics will be posted within 48 hours after the completion of each event.

Please let us know if you have any further questions! You can ask in this thread or email [email protected].
Last edited by a Joe on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
a Joe
Rikku

Re: THE VALLEY CUP: THE HUDSON VALLEY CHAMPIONSHIPS (NY/NJ/CT/LI)

Post by a Joe »

FIELD:

Staples High School (CT) [1]
"RaskolNEGkov" (NJ) [6]
King School (CT) [2]
Scarsdale High School (HV) [2]
"Mather" (CT) [3]
Wilton High School (CT) [1]
Leonia High School (NJ) [3]
Bronx High School of Science (NY) [1]
North Babylon High School (LI) [2]
Woodland Regional High School (CT) [1]
Edison High School (NJ) [1]
Horace Greeley High School (HV) [2]
W. Tresper Clarke High School (LI) [1]
Greens Farms Academy (CT) [1]
Ridgewood High School (NJ) [2]
Edgemont High School (HV) [2]
Somers High School (HV) [2]
"WW-P Phoenix" (NJ) [2]
Ardsley High School (HV) [1]

:party: (36/36) :party:
Last edited by a Joe on Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Registration is now open!
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

The field is almost full! Be sure to register soon!
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

I am pleased to announce an expansion to 30 teams! Register today!
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

...and now an expansion to 36! That's our hard cap, so keep the registrations coming!
"THE" Joe Feldman

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

I want to thank each and every one of you for attending the Valley Cup I yesterday. It was a distinct pleasure and honor to host you all, and we hope you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves.

"Mather" A took home the championship after a hard-fought final with "Alexander NEGsky" A, followed by Wilton in third, "Mather" B, Bronx Science, "WW-P Phoenix" A, Woodland, and Scarsdale A.

This also makes Scarsdale A the Champions of the Valley Cup and the Hudson Valley Champions for 2022-2023! Congratulations to them!

The all-stars were Lukas Koutsoukos, Robert Wang, Aalok Bhattacharya, Evan Lin, Owen Sibinga, Eshan Pant, Darryl Wang, and Spiros Manolas.

Statistics are available on hsquizbowl.com. Be sure to share with your players, since they would love to see them.

If you finished highly, keep an eye out for an email saying you qualified for the Northeast Regional Championships or the High School National Championship Tournament!

Again, a big thank you to all teams, and we hope to see you at one of our tournaments later in the season and, if not, at next season's Valley Cup!
"THE" Joe Feldman