2022 Maryland Summer Open (July 23-24)

Old college threads.
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

2022 Maryland Summer Open (July 23-24)

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Hi y'all! I'm very pleased to announce that Maryland will be hosting a summer open weekend in scenic College Park the weekend of July 23rd and 24th. This post is a preliminary announcement with more details to be added over time.

Rough Schedule
The main event on Saturday will be a mirror of 2022 NASAT. I plan on running 1-2 side events (TBD) after the main event on Saturday.
The main event on Sunday will be a mirror of 2021/22 Ontario Hybrid. Info on the set can be found here. I also plan to run side event or two on Sunday. If people have input on which side events they'd like to see and when, please let me know in the thread.

My current vision is for NASAT to have a "traditional" team formation with Ontario Hybrid having some sort of draft (similar to how we did NASAT last summer) or paired doubles system. As such, I've created a spreadsheet here with a tab for each event. If you are interested in Ontario Hybrid, please list your name in that tab and post here (if you'd like) on any opinions you have on the format.

Location and Time
This tournament will likely run in beautiful and historic Jimenez Hall. I will make backup plans though if we cannot get access to the building for some reason. I imagine both days will start around 9 a.m., and I'll try and make sure things end not too late on Sunday.

Fees
NASAT:
$120 per team
$-10 buzzer discount

Rest of the Events
(Most likely) $15 per person per event

I'm really excited to make this happen. If anyone has any input or questions please PM me or on Discord or email me at cjmayers @ comcast . net. If you are interested in staffing any part of the weekend, please let me know as well!
Last edited by Tippy Martinez on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connor mayers
maryland
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Re: 2022 Maryland Summer Open (July 23-24)

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

This Eminent Victorians tournament seems like fun if it can fit after a day of NASAT. Same goes for Mike Cheyne's baseball set, if it's ready (and if there are enough baseball fans to sustain it). I'm not sure what else is available, but I also haven't looked.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Hello all. Updates time:

I've updated the main post with fee information.

As of now, we have 14 teams in the field for NASAT. I do not anticipate it getting bigger than that, but stranger things have happened.

We will be running Matt Weiner's Tricon after NASAT on Saturday. Info here. I encourage people to write a packet if they can! Format TBD on interest
We will be running TAKETHAT, a modern music side event written by Joseph Krol, Isaac Renert, and Theo Howe. Info here. At the recommendation of Krol, we will (hopefully) run this event as a doubles tournament. I've added tabs for these events to the spreadsheet, do fill them out so I can know what the interest here is!

Also, inspired by some dialogue in the SUMO thread, I just want to make my COVID policy clear:
First off, please do not come to this event if you are unvaccinated. I have very little interest in collecting everyone's vaccine information, nor do I think that is necessary, so I will not be doing it. But again, please do not come if you are not vaccinated!

Unfortunately, Maryland still requires masks (specifically KN95 or similar quality) while in classrooms. I am not going to go against this guidance, so please bring a mask!

Lastly, I could still use some staffers, both for NASAT and the other events, so reach out if you could help out anytime during the weekend!

Can't wait to see you all in College Park soon!
connor mayers
maryland
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I'd like to organize a carpool on Saturday for people coming from south or west. I'll be traveling from the Virginia side and can fit 5 including myself. Please reply here or send me a DM if interested.
EDIT: car filled.
Last edited by Lagotto Romagnolo on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
yeah viv talk nah
Wakka

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Tippy Martinez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 pm We will be running TAKETHAT, a modern music side event written by Joseph Krol, Isaac Renert, and Theo Howe. Info here. At the recommendation of Krol, we will (hopefully) run this event as a doubles tournament. I've added tabs for these events to the spreadsheet, do fill them out so I can know what the interest here is!
Would TAKETHAT be played on Saturday or Sunday?

Also, I will most likely be staying with some friends near Huntington metro and taking the Yellow Line to College Park on both days. If anyone is planning to do the same (or get on Yellow at any point, really) there or back, please feel free to get in touch as it'd be nice to travel together. My Discord username is zn#7484 and email also works.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

yeah viv talk nah wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:44 am
Tippy Martinez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 pm We will be running TAKETHAT, a modern music side event written by Joseph Krol, Isaac Renert, and Theo Howe. Info here. At the recommendation of Krol, we will (hopefully) run this event as a doubles tournament. I've added tabs for these events to the spreadsheet, do fill them out so I can know what the interest here is!
Would TAKETHAT be played on Saturday or Sunday?
Sunday!
connor mayers
maryland
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Is there a backup set planned for Saturday night in case Tricon doesn't have enough packets to play? (that seems a possibility right now)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Votre Kickstarter Est Nul wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:45 pm Is there a backup set planned for Saturday night in case Tricon doesn't have enough packets to play? (that seems a possibility right now)
Yes. I am adjusting the schedule now. Here is my current plan:

NASAT will remain where it is. Directly after NASAT ends, we will play TAKETHAT. It's tossup only and only has 8 rounds, so I think there should be plenty of time to do it.
On Sunday, we will play Ontario Hybrid as first scheduled. I want to then add LOGOMACHY on Sunday as well. I know at least a few people have expressed interest in this.

My prerogative would be to do 10 rounds of Hybrid and then play as much LOGOMACHY as people have appetite for. But, that's a lot of quiz bowl, and I realize most of you might have long journeys back on Sunday, so we could also shorten Ontario Hybrid to cut the day down. If people still want to do quick small shootouts of the few Tricon packets, I"m sure we could do that as well.

I need input from you all playing the tournament though. Please add your name to the LOGOMACHY tab if you are interested, and please either post here or message me privately if you have opinions on how long we should make these events.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Also, I'll be finalizing the field and sending some logistics info tomorrow. If you do not want a team name assigned to you, please add it to the spreadsheet or let me know in the next day or two.
connor mayers
maryland
halle
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by halle »

I'm not sure how popular my opinion is, but I figured I'd start the discussion of how long each Sunday event should be. Personally, I am more interested in playing all of LOGOMACHY than I am in playing 10 rounds of Ontario Hybrid, and would support shortening Hybrid in order to play more LOGOMACHY. Will Nediger's sets are consistently an absolute delight to play, and if this weekend's mirror of LOGOMACHY was going to be an abridged version, I would probably prefer to wait to play the full set at an online mirror. (I believe LOGOMACHY is 10 packets--if the field size made 7 or 8 rounds plus finals the most suitable format, I wouldn't consider that shortened too much, but if we only got to play 5 or 6 packets, I'd be frustrated.) If anyone agrees or disagrees with my take, please chime in on this discussion! As much as I'd love for this weekend to prioritize my favorite events, I don't want to be the only voice in this conversation lol.

Also, please hit me up to team up for TAKETHAT and LOGOMACHY (assuming the latter has teams). I will be...okay? not amazing but probably solid? at both of these sets, probably a bit weaker on TAKETHAT than LOGOMACHY.

Extremely looking forward to seeing everybody and getting to play some in-person quizbowl this weekend!
Halle Friedman
Chicago 2020
NYU 2023
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

According to the logistical email, there will be 11 rounds. So the format won't be a round robin, then?

Regarding transportation to UMD, I was planning to take an Uber from my apartment in Foggy Bottom. But, I would be open to sharing one with someone who has a similar path, or with joining any carpools coming that way.

Are the side events adequately staffed? I was planning to just play NASAT and head home, but I may consider helping out if I am truly needed.
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

ObsidianFoot wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:50 pm According to the logistical email, there will be 11 rounds. So the format won't be a round robin, then?

Regarding transportation to UMD, I was planning to take an Uber from my apartment in Foggy Bottom. But, I would be open to sharing one with someone who has a similar path, or with joining any carpools coming that way.

Are the side events adequately staffed? I was planning to just play NASAT and head home, but I may consider helping out if I am truly needed.
With 14 teams, we will do prelim brackets of 7 (the teams on bye will play a crossover game that doesn't count) into playoff brackets of 8 and 6 with carryovers. This is 11 rounds for top bracket teams, followed by finals scenario if needed.

Saturday night's side event is TAKETHAT, which I should have enough staff for.
connor mayers
maryland
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

halle wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:43 pm I'm not sure how popular my opinion is, but I figured I'd start the discussion of how long each Sunday event should be. Personally, I am more interested in playing all of LOGOMACHY than I am in playing 10 rounds of Ontario Hybrid, and would support shortening Hybrid in order to play more LOGOMACHY. Will Nediger's sets are consistently an absolute delight to play, and if this weekend's mirror of LOGOMACHY was going to be an abridged version, I would probably prefer to wait to play the full set at an online mirror. (I believe LOGOMACHY is 10 packets--if the field size made 7 or 8 rounds plus finals the most suitable format, I wouldn't consider that shortened too much, but if we only got to play 5 or 6 packets, I'd be frustrated.) If anyone agrees or disagrees with my take, please chime in on this discussion! As much as I'd love for this weekend to prioritize my favorite events, I don't want to be the only voice in this conversation lol.
I will second Halle's opinion - looking forward to the weekend!
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

If you are interested in playing LOGAMACHY this afternoon, please be at Jimenez at 3 p.m.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Stats for NASAT and TAKETHAT are now up. Hyrbid and LOGOMACHY stats should be up tomorrow.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Sorry for the delay, but all of the stats are now uploaded.

Congrats to the winners of the events this weekend:
NASAT: [mark morrison voice] ReTUUURN of the Matt (Matt Jackson, Rahul Keyal, Michael Coates, Aaron Rosenberg)
TAKETHAT: lets go brandon flowers (Victor Pavao and myself)
Ontario Hybrid: Matt et al (Matt Weiner, Justin Hawkins, Lexi Terman, Will Phillips)
LOGOMACHY: Halle et al (Halle Friedman, Matt Weiner, Michael Coates, Najwa Watson)

Special thanks to Matt Weiner and the VCU crew for providing buzzers.

Thank you to all the people who staffed at some point during the weekend: Devin Humphreys, Austin Brownlow, Matt Weiner, Rachel Ezrielev, Graham Reid, Danesh Sivakumar, Adam Melrod, Kai Smith, Mitch McCullar, Vishwa Shanmugam, Munir Siddiqui, and David Song.

And even bigger shoutout to two individuals: Alex Echikson and Jakob Boeye, who staffed every event this weekend!

I'd like to thank you all for coming and forgiving the small logistical hiccups throughout the weekend. It was a blast to run for event for all of you!
connor mayers
maryland
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

Out of curiosity, are the NASAT packets available for those who played, or do we need to wait for all the mirrors to finish?
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ObsidianFoot wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:20 pm Out of curiosity, are the NASAT packets available for those who played, or do we need to wait for all the mirrors to finish?
IQBT won't release packets until after all mirrors are done.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator