NYTimes Column on "Academic Team Energy"

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
cchiego
Yuna

NYTimes Column on "Academic Team Energy"

Post by cchiego »

A great NY Times column from (former Ohio quizbowler) Jane Coaston about "Academic Team Energy" vs. "Debate Team Energy" (may be paywalled):

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/04/opin ... ebate.html

A brief/relevant excerpt:
Jane Coaston wrote:I have always wanted to learn more, whether it’s about the history of the Xia dynasty or about what drives homelessness in the city I call home. When I was a kid, after years of feeling alone in my hunger for information, the academic team was the first time I could make that knowledge useful.

I’ve come to think of that impulse to know as academic team energy. More than just a drive to understand things better, it is also the joy of knowing, of taking a fact from a page in a book and putting it in my brain, where I will keep it forever.
There seem to be an increasing number of journalists out there these days with past quizbowl experience, so it's always interesting to see them bring it up in their tweeting/writing.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: NYTimes Column on "Academic Team Energy"

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Mathlete
Kimahri

Re: NYTimes Column on "Academic Team Energy"

Post by Mathlete »

This column made me wonder if it was common for quiz bowlers to be on debate teams as well (in schools that have both)...
Yvan Ung
Montreal 2013 (BSc) 2015 (MSc)