Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA, IESA 22-23

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA, IESA 22-23

Post by Stained Diviner »

This announcement actually covers four or five sets. Also see our website.

Scobol Solo is a tossup only set. It contains 14 regular rounds, one replacement round, and a 60 question championship round, with tiebreakers for all rounds. It is about 400 tossups total.

My current expectation is that the main site will be October 29 at Sandburg HS in Orland Park, IL, which will also be the first available day for mirrors. The cost to mirror is $4 per player. Each round has one question each in physics, chem, bio, math, other science, US hist, Euro hist, world hist, military hist, US lit, Brit lit, Euro & World lit, poetry, painting, music, other fine arts, social science/philosophy, religion/myth, geography, and current events.

I am also producing the Masonic and Reinstein Sets, which share many of the same questions with each other, so you can only use one of them (though you can use Solo and one of the others because there is no overlap with Solo). They will be available March 4. The cost is $12 per team. Based on past performance, it probably is fair to call the Reinstein Set regular plus difficulty.

The Masonic Set distribution is:
Lit 4/4
Social Studies (mostly history) 4/4
Science (not including math) 4/4
Math 2/2
Fine Arts 1/2
Miscellaneous 1/0
The Masonic Set is 16 rounds of 16/16. The first eight rounds are easier than the last eight rounds.

The Reinstein Set distribution is:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
The Reinstein Set is 12 rounds of 20/20.

There is a possibility that the Reinstein Set will also have a VCU version, also available starting in early March, that has a more standard distribution and no computation.

The Masonic and Reinstein Sets have computational bonus parts but no computational tossups. The Solo set and VCU version (if it exists) of the Reinstein Set do not have computation.

Past iterations of these sets are available in the Question Database, so feel free to check those out if there are any concerns about quality.

I am also producing a regular season middle school set that follows the IESA format and distribution and the IESA State set. The primary target audience is Illinois middle school conferences, but other people can use it too--contact me if you want to discuss cost. Because it follows IESA distribution, the bonuses are four parts meant to be read all at once, with teams giving their answers all at once after conferring.

The Reinstein IESA Set distribution is:
Language Arts (including Lit): 5/4
Social Studies (including History): 5/4
Science (not including Math): 5/4
Math: 5/4
Fine Arts: 2/2
Miscellaneous: 2/2

The regular season Reinstein IESA Set is 15 rounds of 24/20. There will be computational tossups and bonuses. It probably will be available by the beginning of December, and you should contact me if that is an issue. I am also selling the last three years' questions for practice, both in rounds and by category. The IESA State Series, which will be 12 rounds, will be also available for purchase in early May.

I am writing pretty much all of the high school questions myself with significant editing help from Jonah Greenthal, who is writing a very small number of questions. The VCU version if it exists will have some questions written and edited by VCU. I am writing all the IESA questions except for science, which is being written by Mike Laudermith. A little over half of the questions are already drafted.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA, IESA 22-23

Post by Stained Diviner »

The high school questions are now posted in the archives.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)