A Suggestion for next season

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
a Joe
Rikku

A Suggestion for next season

Post by a Joe »

Hello!

For next season, I'd like to suggest that subforums be created under the "regular season tournaments" header for each region or, better yet, state to post tournaments in. This way, it'll be much more organized and it will be easier for teams that aren't super-connected to find events. I think it would make this forum much more useful than the disorganized mess of tournaments it is now.

I do believe that this forum was created when there weren't all that many good Quizbowl tournaments, so there weren't pages and pages of them like there are today. I think we're due for a change.

Thoughts?
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: A Suggestion for next season

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Not a bad idea! I'm certainly all for making it easier to use the forums; are you thinking something like how the HS comparison/discussion forums are currently set up?

What do others think?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

I agree that a series of regional subforums would keep things more organized, and mirroring the setup of the current regional discussions would be the best approach.

I'm not sold on each state/territory/province/equivalent political subdivision needing its own subforum. To wit, the Missouri Quizbowl forums have been in regular use since February 2004. Usually, I've only posted a Missouri-hosted tournament here when I'm seeking to bring in a multi-state field, with the caveat that I'm more likely to post updates in the thread on our state's forums. Ergo, I'd suggest any subdividing of the forums also include a pinned thread noting (or maybe even redirects to, if permissible in phpBB?) established state & regional boards.

(addendum) Even if these don't proceed, at the absolute least it should become standard practice to use postal abbreviations when mentioning tournament sites, hosts, and teams on first reference. Making sure the location is in the title of a tournament announcement may help teams looking for events within their reach. Further, mentioning teams' state on first reference would certainly help provide a better context of their strengths and potential, as well as what they've had to contend with in their local circuit. Case in point: the most recent MSNCT prediction thread is a prime example of where such context could be very helpful. It's really difficult for someone who isn't as involved in the national middle school scene to follow the thread, especially as school names can be replicated several times within a state.
Last edited by Atlashill on Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:35 pm Not a bad idea! I'm certainly all for making it easier to use the forums; are you thinking something like how the HS comparison/discussion forums are currently set up?

What do others think?
Yep! I was thinking something along those lines. Just something that would make it easier to find relevant tournaments.
"THE" Joe Feldman

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I feel ambivalent on regional forums. My greatest concern with them is that a border state would miss out on an event because they don't look in all of the subforums they should be looking in. Also, almost all tournament announcement threads rapidly sink off the first page of this subforum once the event is over.

States would be entirely too unwieldy. There'd be something like 55 subforums, and all but maybe 5 would have no more than two active threads at a time.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

AKKOLADE wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:27 pm Also, almost all tournament announcement threads rapidly sink off the first page of this subforum once the event is over.
I disagree. I find that lots of tournaments get buried under completed events, and the threads either constantly have to be bumped or they just disappear into the aether. There are also a huge number of completed events at any given time, which can be quite confusing to those less involved with their circuits and casual browsers who might be interested in a tournament or two.

I'm really thinking of the less active teams here, remember; the more active and experienced ones will be able to find all the events their heart desires, but new teams need that guidance.
"THE" Joe Feldman

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

In my opinion, making https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/ more prominent is going to do a better job of serving those needs than adding subforums.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Just wanted to revive this idea as the season is getting closer; any more thoughts would be appreciated.
"THE" Joe Feldman

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's probably too late for 2023-24. Maybe this will happen in time for 2024-25.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)