Maryland Summer Open Interest + Date Poll

Old college threads.

What weekends would you be available for a Maryland Summer Open?

July 9-10
30%
July 16-17
34%
July 23-24
36%

Total votes: 80

Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Maryland Summer Open Interest + Date Poll

Post by Tippy Martinez »

This is a very preliminary announcement of a planned summer open at Maryland in July. If you think you might be interested, please vote on what weekends would work for you.

The plan is to use NASAT as the main event and also run Ontario Hybrid. A third Tricon-like guerilla tournament and smaller side events may also be in the works. If you would be interested in playing or staffing this in any capacity, I'd love to hear your input on when it should run.
connor mayers
maryland
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Re: Maryland Summer Open Interest + Date Poll

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

hype
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
Howemilton
Lulu

Post by Howemilton »

def interested to some capacity
Alex Howe
TJHSST 2014-2018
William & Mary 2018-2022
zxc
Lulu

Post by zxc »

I am interested and would appreciate any tips for going between Richmond and UMD and places to stay near the latter.
Walter Zhang
Vestavia Hills 19
Brown 23, 23
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

zxc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:17 am I am interested and would appreciate any tips for going between Richmond and UMD and places to stay near the latter.
Best way to get to UMD from Richmond is to somehow get to Charlottesville then Amtrak up to somewhere near DC and then take transit up to College Park. Alternatively you could take greyhound from Richmond to DC and then use transit, but I'd cut off my left arm before taking a greyhound anywhere.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

I think any of those dates would work for me. I feel some interest in picking up a buzzer again after six(!) years.

Are there any history side events planned? There seems to be a relative dearth of them these days, which displeases me personally.
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

meebles127 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:34 pm
zxc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:17 am I am interested and would appreciate any tips for going between Richmond and UMD and places to stay near the latter.
Best way to get to UMD from Richmond is to somehow get to Charlottesville then Amtrak up to somewhere near DC and then take transit up to College Park. Alternatively you could take greyhound from Richmond to DC and then use transit, but I'd cut off my left arm before taking a greyhound anywhere.
It's not necessary to detour to Charlottesville. If you're using transit rather than driving up I-95, you can take any of several different Amtrak routes from the Richmond Staples Mill Road station to the Alexandria station, then switch over to the Washington Metro's Yellow line, which goes out to College Park.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:01 pm
It's not necessary to detour to Charlottesville. If you're using transit rather than driving up I-95, you can take any of several different Amtrak routes from the Richmond Staples Mill Road station to the Alexandria station, then switch over to the Washington Metro's Yellow line, which goes out to College Park.
I thought they killed the Amtrak routes through Richmond last year? Well that's nice to know.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

meebles127 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:18 pm
I thought they killed the Amtrak routes through Richmond last year? Well that's nice to know.
According to the Amtrak website, at least some of them are operating between the RVR and ALX stations.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Howemilton
Lulu

Post by Howemilton »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:54 pm
meebles127 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:18 pm
According to the Amtrak website, at least some of them are operating between the RVR and ALX stations.

Can confirm that there definitely are trains operating from Richmond to Alexandria (and even Union Station in DC). Basically take the train to Alexandria or Union Station and then the metro from there to College Park. Note that UMD is like a 15+ minute walk from the College Park metro station and that you will definitely need to swap Metro trains since College Park is only accessible with the Green Line. Personally I recommend Union station but do whatever floats your boat. You may want to get a hotel or something though since the trains may run at weird times. Overall should be very feasible. Greyhounds also work too, though the last time I was on one on that route my friends got to witness some... very fun things I will not type here.
Last edited by Howemilton on Sun May 15, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Howe
TJHSST 2014-2018
William & Mary 2018-2022
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Howemilton wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:42 pm
You can actually just get an Amtrak up to Union Station from Richmond (I think the Northeast Regional is fine, that's what I take to go to and from DC / Williamsburg) and then take the Metro from there to UMD. Alexandria also works too if you want a longer Metro Ride. Note that UMD is like a 15+ minute walk from the College Park metro station. You may want to get a hotel or something though since the trains may run at weird times. But you deifnitely do not need to go to Charlottesville from Richmond to get to UMD.
Yeah, I'm very sorry for the confusion here. Last year I was trying to buy some train tickets and all the routes through Richmond were all marked as not running so I assumed that had continued. Very glad to know America isn't choking all of its rail lines.
Em Gunter

Howemilton
Lulu

Post by Howemilton »

meebles127 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:44 pm
Howemilton wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:42 pm
You can actually just get an Amtrak up to Union Station from Richmond (I think the Northeast Regional is fine, that's what I take to go to and from DC / Williamsburg) and then take the Metro from there to UMD. Alexandria also works too if you want a longer Metro Ride. Note that UMD is like a 15+ minute walk from the College Park metro station. You may want to get a hotel or something though since the trains may run at weird times. But you deifnitely do not need to go to Charlottesville from Richmond to get to UMD.
Yeah, I'm very sorry for the confusion here. Last year I was trying to buy some train tickets and all the routes through Richmond were all marked as not running so I assumed that had continued. Very glad to know America isn't choking all of its rail lines.
All good, I think they do a lot of maintenance on the rails around there. I've had to take a shuttle bus up to the Richmond station from Williamsburg multiple times.
Alex Howe
TJHSST 2014-2018
William & Mary 2018-2022