DECAF (5/14)

Old college threads.
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

DECAF (5/14)

Post by modernhemalurgist »

This is an announcement for DECAF, a tossups-only classical music set to be played over Discord on Saturday, May 14 (not Sunday as I previously said). More information about the set can be found at the discussion post here. I will set the starting time at 5pm EDT, but this can change by general agreement.

As stated in the discussion post, I’m planning for two-person teams, with a cost of $5 per team. I’ll cap at 8 teams for now but I imagine more could be accommodated if needed. The sign-up sheet is here.

Providing a contact email for a team constitutes registration. If you do not want to publicly share the email you’re registering with, you may email me instead at [email protected], but please still put your names down on the sheet. Registration deadline is May 7. I’ll pay $10 for staffers; the commitment should be a few hours.
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
University of Alabama 2017 - 2020
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

Re: DECAF (5/14)

Since I've had a few requests regarding scheduling, I've made a quick poll to determine whether there's a better time for everyone. If you're interested in playing this weekend go ahead and fill it out. If there's not a strong alternative I'll leave it at the original time.

Poll: https://forms.gle/3ZD8UNGMAcdTTswo6
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

As it stands, the original time (5pm on Saturday) is tied for the lead in the poll (along with the same time Sunday) so I will finalize that time.
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

By when do you expect to know whether or not you're expanding the field? Also, how many rounds are you planning?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

I would like to have a couple more staffers secured before expanding, so I'll try to solicit some more this week (to anyone interested in staffing, I encourage you to sign up!). The set has 8 packets, and I was hoping to read as many as possible, so I was considering these formats:

8 teams: round robin + 1-game final (7 rounds + final)
12 (or 11+bye) teams: 6/6 prelims to 4/4/4 playoffs (8 rounds)
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
Gemomania
Lulu

Post by Gemomania »

Thanks for keeping the entry fee low, wouldn't want to be the target of your next hit.
anuttam
sagittarius '22
cal
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

After acquiring a couple more staff, I've raised the field cap to 12. Currently we have 21 players, so a few more would help round out the field - if anyone else is interested in playing or staffing (we need at least one more), please do so!
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

Since there are a few teams more than the current field cap (including one who have been on the free agents list for a while), I'd like to be able to expand to 16 teams. This would need one to three more players (or an already registered team splitting into two), so I'm going to push the registration deadline back a few more days to May 10. If you're still interested - in either playing or staffing - now's the time to sign up!
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

Though we are still sitting at 15 teams, I have decided to expand the field to bring in those on the waitlist. To accommodate this, I have correspondingly expanded the set to 9 packets, which will allow for a 15-team tournament format that guarantees all teams 8 games as originally suggested. I know this is not ideal (16 teams would be much better, so I’ll keep a slot open if a team wants to join last minute), but I think the magnitude of randomness introduced by the unevenness in the format is comparable to that caused by seeding and packet variability, and moreover the main point of this event is just to read some questions and have fun.
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present
modernhemalurgist
Lulu

After a longer-than-expected night (or morning, for some), this tournament finished with Tossupsdag på Troldhaugen (Miriam Nussbaum & Sameer Apte) defeating Ben & Jerry Junkin's (Karan Gurazada & William Golden) on the very last tossup of the set. Thank you to everyone who played and staffed! Also thank you to Rachel Ezrielev and Enes Kristo for the brilliant team name suggestions! I will upload stats and the set itself tomorrow.
Jeremy Cummings
WUSTL 2020 - Present