Boilermaker Spring Novice at UBC (03/26/22)

Old college threads.
Liarr
Lulu

Boilermaker Spring Novice at UBC (03/26/22)

Post by Liarr »

I am pleased to announce that a Northwest (and West Coast if no California mirror materializes) mirror of Boilermaker Spring Novice will be hosted by UBC on March 26, 2022. I (Lia Rathburn) will be the tournament director. Please direct all enquiries about this tournament to [email protected].

Logistics
The tournament will begin at 9 AM (Pacific Time) and will be held online, with gameplay on Zoom and buzzin.live. A central discord server will be used for announcements.

Every player will be required to have their face and at least one hand on screen during tossups, and both hands during their bonuses. If this policy is an issue for anyone, please let me know so that an accommodation can be made.

Registration
This tournament will be open to all closed collegiate teams, with preference given to Northwest and other West Coast clubs. We will have an initial field cap of twelve teams, which may expand subject to availability of staffers and demand. To register, please e-mail us at [email protected] with the subject line "Spring Novice Registration". Please include the number of teams and staffers you plan to send (and rosters once you know). The registration deadline is Thursday, March 24, at noon Pacific time.

Fees
The base fee for this tournament will be $100 (all figures in Canadian dollars) per team, with the following discounts:
-$40 for teams new to quizbowl (defined as having not played a tournament in the 2019-20 or 2020-21 seasons)
-$25 per trained staffer with a good internet connection and good audio quality

The minimum fee is $50 per team. Canadian teams can pay me via e-transfer to [email protected]. Non-Canadian teams can pay me through Paypal, also to [email protected]

Eligibility
This tournament is intended for players with no or very little quizbowl experience. Players with extensive quizbowl experience are encouraged to help staff. You are not eligible for this tournament if you meet any of the following criteria:

- You have ever scored more than 60 points per game at a quizbowl tournament (excluding middle school tournaments).
- You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC.
- You have played ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.

If you meet one or more of these criteria but would like an exemption to play, please email the set editors at [email protected].
Last edited by Liarr on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lia Rathburn
Eric Hamber Secondary School '16
Langara College '18
University of British Columbia '20, '23

"I've decided I'm going to retire from playing to card full-time." - Milan Fernandez
Liarr
Lulu

Re: Boilermaker Spring Novice at UBC (03/26/22)

Post by Liarr »

Field (8/12)

USC (1)
Claremont Colleges (1)
Iowa (1)
UCSD (1)
South Dakota Mines (1)
Washington (1)
Berkeley (1)
Arizona State (1)
Last edited by Liarr on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lia Rathburn
Langara College '18

"I've decided I'm going to retire from playing to card full-time." - Milan Fernandez
Liarr
Lulu

Post by Liarr »

The registration deadline has been extended to 5 PM Pacific time today.
Lia Rathburn
Langara College '18

Liarr
Lulu

Post by Liarr »

Registration has closed at 8 teams. I will be sending out a logistics e-mail later tonight or tomorrow morning.
Lia Rathburn
Langara College '18