1991 ACF Nationals field

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
CPiGuy
Auron

1991 ACF Nationals field

Post by CPiGuy »

I am working on a project to enumerate all collegiate nationals appearances. I will post it fully in the near future.

If you know the full field of 1991 ACF Nationals, or any teams that were in it besides Maryland, GT, BYU, Tennessee, and NC State, please post about it.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 1991 ACF Nationals field

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've tried digging through the archive.org for UTK's website early on, but I haven't had any success yet. I believe the format for any url would be along the lines of "solar.rtd.utk.edu", most likely in the format of "solar.rtd.utk.edu/~rtrent", though the portion after the tilde could be far more customized. I haven't had any success with finding any subsites associated with the UTK team or its known players - Charlie Steinhice & Robert Trent, as well as coach Carol Guthrie.

I also did not have any success searching the 1991 portion of the alt.college.college-bowl Usenet archives on Google Groups.

I also went through https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quizbowl/newsletters/ looking for newsletters from the pertinent time period, but there's a gap between 1989 and 1995. Alas.

Has anyone ever tried reaching out to Carol Guthrie?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

AKKOLADE wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:21 pm Has anyone ever tried reaching out to Carol Guthrie?
Patrick Matthews also suggested this, but I don't know how I would contact her.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

The program for 1995 Nationals has some stuff.

1st place - Tennessee A
2nd place - Georgia Tech A
3rd place - Maryland A
4th place - NC State

Whether we can assume the existence of B teams is questionable, but it's pretty likely.

However, no info from the tournament is listed in the table for Win-Loss Records in ACF Championship Tournament Play -- it only includes data from 1993 and 1994 ACF Nationals. Even as far back as 1994/1995, this information was starting to be lost.
Last edited by Cody on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

AKKOLADE wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:27 am Is this her? https://twitter.com/caroljguthrie?s=21
No, but this is and she's listed as faculty and staff in the South College catalog. Not contact information is listed, but it shouldn't be hard to wrangle that info from South College or try a stock email format (e.g. first initial last name @ south.edu).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
matthewspatrick
Lulu

Post by matthewspatrick »

Might be worth hitting up Jim Dendy as well. He's on Facebook (and replied when I messaged a congratulatory note when he got the Carper Award last year).

As a recent Carper recipient, presumably ACF has (at least somewhat) up to date contact info for him.
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cody wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 am
AKKOLADE wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:27 am Is this her? https://twitter.com/caroljguthrie?s=21
No, but this is and she's listed as faculty and staff in the South College catalog. Not contact information is listed, but it shouldn't be hard to wrangle that info from South College or try a stock email format (e.g. first initial last name @ south.edu).
Just confirming (off one address) that you appear to have the correct format for email addresses.
Fred Morlan
tfm
Kimahri

Post by tfm »

AKKOLADE wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:21 pm I also did not have any success searching the 1991 portion of the alt.college.college-bowl Usenet archives on Google Groups.
That group came into existence in the Spring of 1993, and lasted about two years until the Meow Meow Rebellion, with occasional attempts to revive it afterwards. It won’t have much, if anything, from before then.
Tom Michael
UVA 1981-1995
AUM 1995-1997
Worked for College Bowl off and on since 2003, currently on. Historian investigating the origin of academic competition. Survivor of the 1994 Campus Challenge debacle. Have witnessed chairs and chalk thrown during matches, and a lockout system burst into flames.
Shahar S.
Wakka

Post by Shahar S. »

Wow, it's so cool that half the field will be back at action at next year's nats :cool:
Shahar Schwartz

Black Mountain '16
Westview '20
UC Berkeley '24