Maine Online Winter Tournament (MOWT) (2/13/22)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

Maine Online Winter Tournament (MOWT) (2/13/22)

Post by nicole. »

The Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance is excited to announce our second ever tournament , titled MOWT (Maine Online Winter Tournament) (pronounced like moat). The tournament will be held online on Sunday, February 13th.

Format, Eligibility, and Questions
The tournament will consist of 5 preliminary rounds, a lunch break, 5 playoff rounds, and a final round. This tournament will be on Zoom, and opening meeting will be at 9:40 AM.

This tournament is open to those who are high school seniors or younger. All teams must consist of players from the same school. This tournament is open to schools from Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Quebec, and the Maritime Provinces. This tournament will use both tossups and bonuses, and will use NAQT IS-206, a regular high school level NAQT set. The field is capped at 36 teams.

Payment Information
The base price for this tournament is $50 for each team, with the following discounts:
-$20 per team for schools who have Title 1 status
-$15 for team-affiliated staff (per staff)

The minimum payment is $25 per team.

Schools can pay for the tournament in any of the following ways:
-check made out to Nicholas Pruitt and mailed to my PO Box in Lewiston
-credit card payment made via QuickBooks
-cash (we can pre arrange this if your team is in Maine)
We will require teams to pay before the tournament begins. Teams who fail to pay for their registration before the tournament begins will not be allowed to play.

Registration
Register for this tournament using NAQT.com. The link for that is here.

Staffers
We need staffers. We're right on discord, so you can staff from anywhere. Non-Team Staff will be paid $30 for the day.

Announcements
We'll be doing pre-tournament announcements via email until about 3 days before. At that point teams will join the discord.

Contact Information

The tournament directing team will consist of myself. You can contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]

We look forward to seeing you on the internet!
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Maine Online Winter Tournament (MOWT) (2/13/22)

Post by meebles127 »

How did this tournament go?
nicole. wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:15 pm This tournament is open to those who are high school seniors or younger. All teams must consist of players from the same school. This tournament is open to schools from Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Quebec, and the Maritime Provinces. This tournament will use both tossups and bonuses, and will use NAQT IS-206, a regular high school level NAQT set. The field is capped at 36 teams.
Also, I'm curious, given these eligibility rules, is there a reason that a team from Pennsylvania was allowed to play (and win) this tournament?
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence