New England (RI, MA, VT, ME, NH, parts of CT) Discussion '21-22

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

New England (RI, MA, VT, ME, NH, parts of CT) Discussion '21-22

Post by nicole. »

With Sue Pasco completed, and while we wait for MIT, Harvard, Plymouth, AMSA, Acton-Boxborough (or one of the further out hosts like Vermont or MEQBA) to announce the first regs or above difficulty tournament of the year, let's get to discussing teams in the region. Here's my top 10 for now (not including CT because most CT teams this year seem to be playing in the tri-state), and if anybody wants to post some pre/early season predictions, feel free to.

1. Phillips Academy
2. Belmont
3. Lexington
4. AMSA
5. Acton-Boxborough
6. South Burlington
7. Plymouth
8. Mansfield
9. Hanover
10. either Andover HS or Weston HS (depends on who is less rusty between William and Naren)

Top 10 (including CT)

1. Phillips Academy
2. Hotchkiss
3. Belmont
4. Choate
5. Lexington
6. WIlton
7. Darien A
8. Hopkins
9. AMSA
10. KIng School or Staples

Wildcards (teams I don't have enough data on to rank in the top 10 but could be good):

Cony:
Despite the loss of Dylan Begley, Cony is a good and well run program and I can see them doing well at MEQBA stuff. Expect most of their scoring this year to come from junior Ted Campbell.

Portsmouth:
Senior (2022) Francis Powell and his team made a really good run on Granite State Challenge last year, and from what I watched of that Francis seems to have pretty good generalist knowledge. Not sure how he and the team will do at a traditional quiz bowl tournament though.

Boston Latin School:
This year's team, led by history player Kyler Hoogendorn-Ecker, could turn out to be pretty good. Though Joe and Ethan have graduated, and there's relatively little data on them, I could see BLS launching themselves into the top 10 of this year.

Salem Academy:
Though they lost their coach, Salem Academy, led by Sam Wemmer and Jonah Harrison, could still be a force to be reckoned with. Since they haven't played since late 2019/early 2020, relatively little data remains on them, so I'm holding off on predictions.

Longmeadow:
Edgar Gebhardt is pretty good. Based on the category stats I have of him, he appears to be getting most of his points in History or Science. Not sure how Longmeadow scales though.

Beaver Country Day:
If they decide to stop only playing history bowl this year they would probably be t-10 in the not including CT region. Logan, Myles and Patrick are pretty decent history players.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
troyharris
Wakka

Re: New England (RI, MA, VT, ME, NH, parts of CT) Discussion '21-22

Post by troyharris »

Thanks, Nicole, for starting this. Outside of the traditional powers (Phillips, Lexington, AMSA, Belmont, A-B) and throw in a Hotchkiss team that has HSNCT-championship level talent as well, this year will be interesting to try to re-sort the New England qb scene. There is a lot of talent here in NE, and I fully expect this year that many teams that maybe haven't been prominent in the past will pop up and surprise. Here in Plymouth, I'm not really sure where we will sit in the bigger picture, other than knowing that we had 5 students out at camp in Illinois this summer to help prepare for this coming year. We are still a very young squad trying to rebuild from our group of super 6 from two years ago that saw us finish in one ranking in the top 75 nationall and also trying to recover from the loss of Mason Earick, who had a tremendous season last year and was by far our best science player. I'm looking forward to actually seeing many familiar faces as the year goes on. We will begin our tournament planning shortly, as other obligations for both the players and coaches have gotten us off to a bit of a slow start this year. As far as teams that could surprise, don't sleep on Portsmouth and Hanover out of the Granite State, and Essex, CVU and Burlington are always formidable teams coming out of a very, very good Vermont circuit, along with your already-mentioned SBHS team. It is also nice to see BLS down in Boston potentially getting back active again. It didn't take them long to become a New England powerhouse a few years ago.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH