Super ACRONYM 3 Online Mirror @ "Eastern Canada" (Sunday, October 24th, 2021)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Super ACRONYM 3 Online Mirror @ "Eastern Canada" (Sunday, October 24th, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada and surrounding regions!

I am pleased to announce an online mirror of Super ACRONYM 3, to take place over Zoom/Discord on Sunday, October 24th, 2021. This is the day after the Canadian Penn Bowl mirror.

The tournament will begin at 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto Time) and I will provide the link closer to the start date.

Fees & Registration

ALL FEES IN CAD

Base Fee: $100
Shorthanded discount: -$25 for a team with two or fewer players
Staffer discount: -$10 if you bring me a staffer with experience and a reliable internet connection
Special discount: -$10 for the team name that I think is the funniest (must tell me the name before the day of the tournament)

To register, please send me an email at meghan [D0T] torchia [AT] gmail [D0T] com with your team info and any discounts you want to claim.

This is an open mirror so anyone may play with anyone else.

REGISTRATION DEADLINE for this event is Wednesday, October 20th at 11:59 PM. You may request to be registered after this time but you will not be guaranteed a spot.

You need to send me your team fee via etransfer to the email address above. Please put the name of the team you're paying for, or the player(s) you're paying for if applicable. If you don't have a Canadian bank account you will need to pay me via PayPal Friends & Family. If either of these things is an issue please let me know.

If you don't have a team, you may register with me as a free agent and I will place you with other free agents or on a team with an empty spot close to the date of the tournament.

Please let me know if you would like to staff this, staffers will be paid some amount as a thank you.

Set

Distribution for this set is as follows:

4/4 Movies (split evenly between the ~2000s and earlier)
4/4 TV (same split as above)
4/4 Music (1/1 each of pop, rock, rap/r&b and other/multi)
4/4 Sports (1/1 each of baseball, football, basketball, and other/multi)
1/1 Video Games
1/1 Trash Lit
2/2 Other/Miscellaneous

Dishonesty Policy

As you all already know, cheating at this event will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form. All participants will have to sign the honour pledge before they will gain access to game channels. Webcams will be mandatory, if this is a problem for you please contact me well in advance.

Field

Simone/Leslie/Brian/Talia
Isaac/Evan Juricic/Milan/Russell
ADR/Christine/Michelle/Peter Torres
Henry/Jules/Jack/Nadia
Paul/Erik/Jenny/Ian Greig
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
McGill
Queen's
Free Agents

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments/concerns. Hope to see you all (virtually) soon!
Last edited by Calculus? on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Super ACRONYM 3 Online Mirror @ "Eastern Canada" (Sunday, October 24th, 2021)

Post by Cheynem »

I've been told non-Canadians can play this, and not seeing any other online mirrors at the moment, I'd like to play if I can get a team (let me know if you'd like to play w/me).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Super ACRONYM 3 Online Mirror @ "Eastern Canada" (Sunday, October 24th, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Here is a copy of the logistics email I sent out (at least one person on each team should have received it):

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for signing up to play and/or staff Eastern Canada mirror of Super ACRONYM 3 tomorrow. This is your logistics email. Please read it carefully and reach out to me as soon as possible if you have questions, if I missed something, or if anything about your registration has changed.

Schedule

We have 10 teams registered. We will be playing a 9-game round robin followed by an advantaged final if necessary.

The tournament will begin at 10:00 AM EDT (Toronto time) on Sunday. Please be online in both the Discord and Zoom meeting at 9:50 for opening announcements and to sort out any potential technical problems. Lunch will likely be after round 4 or 5, but we’ll see how things go.

If you haven’t given me a team name, you can still give me one, it won’t appear on the scoresheets but it will be recorded in the stats.

Technology (beep boop)

This tournament will, by popular demand, use Zoom + buzzin.live for game rooms, and we will, as usual, be using TJ Sheets for scorekeeping. There will still be a Discord server, but it will be used only for announcements, protests, and staff discussion. Please join it here: [REDACTED]

In the server I will send a link to the tournament’s Zoom meeting and you can join from there.

When you join, you will be required to change your server nickname to your real name and “react” to the honour pledge in the #honor-pledge channel. Everyone must do this, including staff and spectators. When that’s done, I will give you a role and allow you into the Zoom meeting. Also make sure to change your Zoom name to your real name.

For Zoom stuff: UPDATE YOUR ZOOM. You need to have your Zoom updated in order to be able to join your own breakout rooms. Update it now, and then come back and read the rest of this. I’ll wait. Don’t hold up the tournament by having to update your Zoom at 9:59 AM. Moderators, you don’t need to worry about having premium Zoom accounts as I will be hosting the meeting from mine, and the game rooms will all be breakout rooms. It’s probably a good idea to test your camera and microphone beforehand as well.

Payment

As a reminder, your team fee is $100 unless you have previously confirmed a discount with me. If you are not sure what you owe, please reach out to me. All fees are in Canadian dollars.

Canadians: Please pay me via Interac etransfer to REDACTED. The etransfer should autodeposit. Please put in the notes which team you are paying for. Note that if you already have my personal email address saved as an etransfer contact, do NOT send the money there, that’s a different bank account.

Non-Canadians: If you are unable to pay me from a Canadian bank account, please send the money via PayPal to REDACTED. When you’re sending the money, make sure you have Canadian dollars selected as the currency I will receive, and choose FRIENDS & FAMILY (might appear as “sending money to a friend”) which will require you to pay a small fee. If you choose Goods & Services, PayPal will take the fee out of the money I receive, and I’ll need you to send me a second transfer to make up for it. Once again, please put in the notes of the transfer which team/days you are paying for. Services like Venmo, Cashapp, etc. are not available in Canada and I cannot use them to receive payment. If using PayPal is for some reason an issue for you, please reach out to me as soon as possible.

I strongly prefer to receive a team’s entire fee in one transfer, but if you’re paying individually or only for part of your team (I realize in some cases this will be necessary) please just put that in the notes of the transaction.
Please try to have paid me by the start of the tournament tomorrow so I don’t have to chase people down. If there are issues with timing of payment please let me know.

Cheating and Stuff

Cheating is banned at this tournament, you already know that, and you will agree to not cheat when you sign the honour pledge. Cameras are mandatory. Please be nice to each other. Rude or unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated, and neither will racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other kind of bigotry.
I think I’ve covered everything you need to know. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, and I will of course be available all day during the tournament. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!

Meghan Torchia
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023