Multi-editing accomplishments

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Multi-editing accomplishments

Post by theMoMA »

I've completed a first-draft qbwiki page for "multi-editing accomplishments" (the editorial equivalent of the qbwiki's page of multi-championship accomplishments such as winning each of Nationals, ICT, and CO). The accomplishments I coined are the Triple Crown of Editing (Nationals, ICT, CO), Grand Slam of Editing (Nationals, ICT, HSNCT, NSC), ACF Triple Crown (Fall, Regionals, Nationals), ACF Quadruple Crown (those three plus Winter), College Championship Four-Pack (Nationals, ICT, Regionals, SCT), NAQT Championship Bingo (MSNCT, SSNCT, HSNCT, ICT (DII), and ICT (DI), and High School Championship Double (NSC and HSNCT).

I'm hoping that people will correct any errors or omissions I've made and supplement the page with any accomplishments I didn't think of. I wasn't able to find good records for NSC editorial slates (except in a few years where the editors were listed in the packet captions or in a program, and the head editors listed on PACE's website). I looked at some packets and pulled what I hoped were editor names from the author tags on various questions, although these could be inaccurate (because they might be freelances rather than editors). If someone has detailed information on NSC editors, that would be a good subject for its own qbwiki page or section.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Multi-editing accomplishments

Post by Mike Bentley »

Any sense of what the minimum bar for editing should be? For instance, I technically edited 2 ICT questions last year. And as you may recall edited CS for the ACF Nationals that included the self-balancing binary trees question. Those were relatively minor contributions. Whereas I have edited some history and art at at least one CO which seems more in the spirit of this.

Also, I probably have a list of past NSC editors in recent years. I didn't see an obvious place on the wiki where they'd be listed, although I suppose I could add a new section myself.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

For an editing threshold, I'd say that being credited internally or externally as a set editor should be sufficient. (I did not include NAQT subject editors as set editors on the page.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Thanks for compiling this Andrew -- I think it's definitely nice to see this kind of achievement listed somewhere.

I know you didn't doesn't consider subject editing to be equivalent to editing, but some threshold of having subject edited a number of questions that happen to go into a set should in some way should possibly count towards that threshold? (I did a lot more subject editing than set editing, so I guess I'm biased here.)

Jason Thompson pointed out to me that 2019 was the first year to our recollection that HSNCT and NSC was head edited by non-straight quizbowlers. Recognizing that kind of achievement is also in my opinion worthwhile, (and also reflective of what we still can improve. A lot of this list is male...)
Ike
UIUC 13
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

To be clear, I don't oppose the inclusion of subject editing on the page; I'm fine with people editing themselves or others onto the page claiming credit for any accomplishment they believe they're entitled to. Maybe just drop a footnote if you're basing it on different criteria.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum