Looking for QQBC 2022 Staffers

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
andyzh
Lulu

Looking for QQBC 2022 Staffers

Post by andyzh »

QQBC is looking for staffers for summer 2022! Staffers will get significant experience doing a variety of things, ranging from running marketing campaigns to writing code, gaining real experience which looks great on future applications (college apps too -- building a summer camp looks incredible!).

More information can be found on our website (https://www.qqbcamp.com/staffing). If you have any questions (seriously anything), please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].

To apply please fill out this form (https://forms.gle/63qFbDnaHsQkUWFn6) and email your resume to [email protected]. Applications are due January 16, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.

We look forward to seeing your applications!

The QQBC Team
Andy Zhu
CVHS '20 Brown '25
QQBC Founder
JA01
Wakka

Re: Looking for QQBC 2022 Staffers

Post by JA01 »

On the website it says "while current high school juniors and seniors are preferred, we love seeing applications from enthusiastic high school QuizBowl players." Are these prospective staffers the ones teaching the sessions? If so, how is a high schooler considered an expert in a subject?
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23
andyzh
Lulu

Post by andyzh »

Hi Jade, great questions!

For your first question: yes, staffers will be the ones teaching during camp. For your second question, could you clarify what you mean? I am unclear if you are asking about what criteria exist for prospective applicants to demonstrate expertise or if you are questioning the premise of having high schoolers teach classes. Both are good questions, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly and properly answering your question.
Andy Zhu
CVHS '20 Brown '25
QQBC Founder
JA01
Wakka

Post by JA01 »

My question is more of the latter
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23
andyzh
Lulu

Post by andyzh »

Your question is more applicable for someone who is considering registering for the camp rather than looking for information about staffing. If you are considering registering, however, high school quiz bowl players can be quite passionate about the subjects they study which leads them to build some degree of expertise. What is especially important to consider is that quiz bowl players have knowledge not just about the subject itself, but about the subject in a quiz bowl context -- many people could tell you about Dickens, fewer could tell you about Satis House, fewer could tell you that Satis House is a clue that (at the HS level) tends to come up around the power mark. This intersection between knowledge of Great Expectations and of how QuizBowl literature is one that can only be found in the QuizBowl community.

As far as who within the QB community should be teaching, it would be high schoolers or people who've graduated high school (college students, grad students, etc.). At this point I'd offer an analogy: I'm taking a college intro economics class taught by a professor with a PhD. The class is not substantially better than the AP Macro class taught by my high school teacher without a PhD -- there is some limit to how well you can make me understand a production possibilities curve. I'm sure there are things which the college professor could do much better given her PhD, but teaching intro economics does not require her additional expertise. In a similar manner, I'd contend that sure, a high school graduate may be more of an expert, but that the additional expertise is not needed for middle school and novice high school campers.

If you continue to doubt the ability of high schoolers, I don't know that there's much else I can do to convince you otherwise. I would request that we continue this discussion elsewhere, however, so that I can address other inquiries about staffing in this particular thread.
Andy Zhu
CVHS '20 Brown '25
QQBC Founder