Call for Writers - IHSA Math

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Call for Writers - IHSA Math

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Noah Prince and I are looking for math writers for the 2021-2022 IHSA State Series. Specifically, we're looking for writers with a fair amount of writing experience who are interested in mastering & improving the art of writing math questions.

Some background info, if you're unfamiliar with IHSA Scholastic Bowl: The IHSA State Tournament has 12.5 packets, played in three stages (Regionals, Sectionals, State) at three different difficulty levels. Each packet is 24/24, with 4/4 of that being math. (The categories of the other 20/20 are pretty comparable to what you might see at your friendly Saturday housewrite or your friendly PACE NSC.)

This makes for a total writing job of 50/50 math, at difficulty levels varying from "easier than SCOP Novice" to "nationals." It's quite a task! The bulk of this writing has been done by some combination of Noah and/or me since 2016. We want some fresh questions in this category. More than that: we want to work with you, the next generation of math writers. We want your future tournaments to have better math questions as a result of the work you do on this tournament.

So, we're looking for people who have previously written questions for published tournaments & are up to the challenge of writing for a set that basically quintuples the amount of math a "normal" tournament will use. I say "people," plural - you will not write 100 questions yourself. We'd love 3-5 writers to join us. Noah and I will edit your questions in a collaborative process - beyond simple repeat-checking against the other questions in the set, there'll be a bit more tinkering on these questions than you're used to seeing in a writing project, because this tournament has some pretty strict accessibility concerns, and because we want to mentor you.

Pay: The IHSA doesn't pay particularly well -- the budget is $4 per question -- so unfortunately, this is not a good financial offer. I hate the idea of paying in exposure or mentorship, but that's what we've got.

Timeline: We'll be writing this set between now and winter break; if we have three math writers, then to meet our deadlines, you'll want to have writing time for roughly 3 questions per week in September, October, and November.

If you're interested, please email me with a brief history of your writing experience at [email protected]. I'll also answer any questions you have. I'd like to have the writers finalized by September 1st.

Thank you for reading!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Call for Writers - IHSA Math

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I've received a couple responses and will write back later this week (thank you for your patience!), but if you'd still like to get in on this, there's still time. Thanks!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)