Need help on how to study

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
adhvaithr7
Lulu

Need help on how to study

Post by adhvaithr7 »

I have a few questions about how to study quiz bowl. Right now, I'm not doing so great, and I wanted a few key tips:

1. What is the best way to study for HSNCT, NHBB Nats and other hard high school tournaments? I am having a hard time right now.

2. How do we get more members for the local quiz bowl club at our school during COVID-19?

3. We are running low on funds, so how do we make sure we are not paying from our own pocket?

If you could give me some advice right now, that would be great.

Thanks!
Adhvaith Ravi
Washington High, 2024
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Re: Need help on how to study

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

Hi Adhvaith,

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but I'll give each question my best shot.

1. Hard high school tournaments, especially housewrites, have a lot of trickle-down from collegiate tournaments these days. If you feel comfortable doing so, I might suggest looking at college sets on the easier side, such as EFT and ACF Winter, and examining the questions in the categories you like. Another thing to do is just read a lot in those preferred categories. Books, Wikipedia articles, even watching YouTube videos, just immersing yourself in the worlds of the subjects you want to do well in can expose you to a lot of potential high-level quiz bowl material without making it seem like work.

2. In a way, the pandemic represents something of an interesting opportunity for getting new members to join quiz bowl clubs, as the barrier to entry is a bit lower in some ways. I don't know about your school, but at West Virginia, we've been doing Zoom practices all semester, so people can just sign in on their computers when they are available. For getting new people to try quiz bowl, I'd just say to talk to people you know through whatever channels you have and maybe convince them to try coming to an online meeting or something like that. Not everyone is going to stick around, and you'll know that going in, but just getting people to give it a shot can be all you need. More specifically, if you have the capability to do so, I might suggest trying to have multiple "rooms" going at a time, so that newer players can ease into the game on easier question sets rather than getting thrown straight into the deep end with your A team. Really there is no single answer to your question, but that's something I can think of.

3. I don't know what your school's situation with regards to clubs and funding them is, but if you can work to get official school approval and funding, that would probably be your easiest bet. It also would establish a long-term relationship to hopefully keep your club going and funded into the future. Otherwise, it's a bit difficult, as this is one of the downsides of the pandemic since usual things I might suggest like a restaurant fundraiser night aren't really feasible right now. Again I'd say to ask around a little bit, because anyone from teachers to parents to administrators to fellow students might have a workable idea. It is tricky at this moment, though, so I definitely understand your dilemma.

Hopefully this is somewhat useful, at least! Also, if you don't mind my asking since there are a lot of Washington High Schools, what state are you in? That might help me suggest some people for you to get in touch with, if nothing else. Best of luck either way!
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
adhvaithr7
Lulu

Re: Need help on how to study

Post by adhvaithr7 »

I am from Fremont, California myself.

If there are some contacts you know in California that you could connect me with, please let me know accordingly.

Thanks!
Adhvaith Ravi
Washington High, 2024