Jr. Wildcat XI at Northwestern (3/7/2020)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Jr. Wildcat XI at Northwestern (3/7/2020)

Post by anthonywang1999 »

Wildcat Jr XI

Northwestern Quizbowl is pleased to announce this year's edition of the annual Jr. Wildcat middle school tournament, to be held on Saturday, March 7th, 2020. Special thanks to Greg Peterson, Jr. Wildcat IX tournament director, as this post uses what he wrote with the necessary logistical edits.

Question Set and Format: We will be using NAQT's MS-33 set for this tournament. Format will be 4-v-4 with 20 tossups, 20 bonuses, powers, and negs. There will be no computational math tossups, and bonuses will not bounce back. All timing will be five seconds (far faster than some conferences play; slightly more relaxed than MSNCT). We guarantee at least 8 games for every team; teams agree to play all guaranteed games when they register.

Location and parking: The tourney will once again take place in Locy Hall and Fisk Hall, both on the south end of the university's Evanston campus. Check-in will be in Fisk Hall 217, at 1845 Sheridan Road in Evanston. The parking structure at 1 Arts Circle Drive is very close from the tournament site and is your best bet--it does not require a permit on Saturdays.

Eligibility: Teams must be composed of students who attend the same school; all players must be in grade 8 or below. Also, there is no minimum number of players that may play on one team (if you have a solo player, that's legal), but we are imposing a hard maximum of six players that may play on a given team over the course of a tournament.

Fee structure:
The fee structure is as follows:
$90 per team base fee
-$5/each for buzzer systems with 8 or more functioning buzzers. If it doesn't have 8 working, it doesn't get you a discount.
-$10/each for competent staffers provided; we reserve the right to turn down staffers in advance if we don't need them.
-$10 for any teams that travel >100 miles each way to the tourney site, as determined by Google Maps.
For the record, the discounts are all by school, not by team: a school who brings five teams and one buzzer will owe $445, not $425.

All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We accept cash or checks (made out to "Northwestern University"). If it's much more convenient for you to mail a check in advance, send us an email and we'll work something out. Invoices will be sent out via email if requested!

We are once again using NAQT's registration system this year, and some teams have already signed up through it! You can do so with this link: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=11291
*Registration will only be taken through the NAQT registration system this year, we will not be taking registrations by email!

Current Field:
Check the NAQT field page!
Anthony Wang
Middlesex County Academy '17
Northwestern University '21

"It doesn't matter if this world that opened in front of me is just a dream."
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Re: Jr. Wildcat XI at Northwestern (3/7/2020)

Post by MichaelFalk »

What is the timing for the day? Arrival, lunch, expected conclusion?
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
anthonywang1999
Lulu

MichaelFalk wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:06 pm What is the timing for the day? Arrival, lunch, expected conclusion?
Logistics email has been sent! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Anthony Wang

anthonywang1999
Lulu

Congratulations to Barrington Station A, who won the final over Bloomington, and Notre Dame who won the 3rd place game over St. Edward. All 4 of these teams should have qualified for NAQT MSNCT (top 20% of teams)! Thanks to everyone who came out to the tournament and to all the staffers who helped made everything run smoothly and on time. All stats are posted here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6221/
Anthony Wang

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The top 15% of teams qualify for MSNCT (here, that should be the top 5 in a 27-team field).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
anthonywang1999
Lulu

Yep. Full stats are up on https://www.naqt.com/go/stats/11291 . Congratulations to Barrington Middle-Station A, Bloomington, Notre Dame, St. Edward, Thurgood Marshall A, and St. Raymond A who qualified for MSNCT!
Anthony Wang