Barrington Invitational XVI (2.22.2020)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Barrington Invitational XVI (2.22.2020)

Post by the return of AHAN »

Your school is invited to participate in the seventeenth annual Barrington Invitational Scholastic Bowl Tournament on Saturday, February 22nd, 2020. This tournament will be staged at Station Middle School, Barrington, IL (215 Eastern Ave). Each match will consist of 20 toss-up (individual) questions, and a maximum of 20 bonus (team) questions overall. This middle/junior high school tournament will be conducted using modified ACF rules to govern match play, which closely mirror the modern IHSA rules for scholastic bowl.
• All bonus questions will be 3 parts and worth a total of 30 points. Each part is asked one at a time, with the controlling team having up to 10 seconds (15 on math computations) to respond.
• Players on both teams may quietly confer, even while the bonus question is being read, but any such discussion should not disrupt the other team’s ability to hear the question.
• The first answer clearly directed towards the moderator will serve as the team’s answer. If conflicting answers are offered, the captain will be prompted to choose. If an answer is incorrect, the rebounding team will be offered a chance to answer within 5 seconds (or the remainder of time on math computation, if more than 5 seconds remain).
• If neither team answers correctly, the correct answer is read and the next bonus part is read to the controlling team.
Each team roster is limited to 8 players, and a maximum of 5 players may play at once. We are also only going to permit substitutions at halftime, or prior to overtime. Each school is welcome to enter multiple teams, but each team must be accompanied by an adult or high schooler. I am also going to only guarantee a moderator for each room, which means a coach from each team may need to share the scoring duties, unless the moderator wishes to keep their own score, or I procure enough high school volunteers. Each team will be guaranteed eight games. As with the last few years, teams will be separated into three divisions, with a ‘challenge’ division, a ‘standard’ division, and a ‘B’ division. The first team entered from a given school must be in either the ‘challenge’ or ‘standard’ division; all subsequent teams can be entered into any division. The ‘challenge’ division is geared for teams that expect to win an IESA regional and vie for a sectional title, or plan to attend the Middle School National Championship Tournament in Chicago in May.
Please fax the attached reservation form as soon as possible, or send me an e-mail ([email protected]) to hold your spot. You are free to send the entry fee at a later time, but I would like to have all payments in hand by January 31st. A letter of confirmation with further details will be e-mailed in early February. Entry fees will not be refunded to teams that withdraw after January 31st, 2020. Please make checks payable to Station Middle School. When calculating your entry fees, it will be $100.00 for the 1st team, $75 for your 2nd team, minus $5/buzzer system you’ll be providing. Do not mail your check without confirming your entry and number of teams and buzzer systems with me.
We look forward to your participation on February 22nd, 2020. Teams should arrive no later than 8:30 A.M. The final tournament games should conclude by 4:00 P.M. I can be reached via e-mail at jprice{at}barrington220{dot}org .

Jeffrey M. Price
Barrington Station Scholastic Bowl Coach
215 Eastern Ave.
Barrington, IL 60010
Attachments
Scholastic bowl tournament entry form2020.pdf
(75.52 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Scholastic Bowl 1st Invitation to Tournament-2020.pdf
(75.62 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational XVI (2.22.2020)

FIELD TO BE UPDATED HERE:
46 teams
(12 challenge, 18 standard, 16 "B")
Barrington Station x5 (2 Challenge, 0 Standard, 3 "B")
Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's Visitation x2 (1 Standard)
Rockford Keith Country Day x3 (2 Standard, 1 "B")
Arlington Heights Our Lady of the Wayside (1 Standard)
Chicago Latin x2 (1 Challenge, 1 "B")
Chicago St. Benedict (1 Standard)
Mount Prospect St. Raymond x3 (1 Standard, 2 "B")
Rolling Meadows Plum Grove x3 (2 Standard, 1 "B")
Rockford Galapagos (1 standard)
Cary JHS x2 (1 Standard, 1 "B")
Northbrook St. Norbert (1 Standard)
Rockford Marshall x2 (1 Challenge, 1 "B")
Springfield Franklin x3 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard, 1 "B")
Palatine Quest x2 (1 Challenge, 2 "B")
Chicago St. Edward x2 (1 Challenge, 1 "B")
Bloomington JHS x2 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard)
Chicago St. John Fisher (1 Standard, 1 "B")
Buffalo Grove Aptakisic (1 Challenge, 1 Standard, 1 "B")
Lincolnshire Daniel Wright x2 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard)
Park Ridge Mary, Seat of Wisdom (1 standard)
Urbana University Lab (2 Challenge)
Lisle Kindi (1 standard)
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational XVI (2.22.2020)

Staffers are needed for the Barrington Invitational! I can pay a stipend to readers who are out of high school, while high schoolers can earn volunteer hours. Send an email to jprice <at> barrington220 <dot> org to let me know if you can help out!!

C. Burnett
K. Asta
A. Sperber
A. Nagib
B. Graham
M. Laudermith
J. Nelson
F. Hannon
A. Crumlish
B. Fischer
K. Strey
N. Abel
B. Rohner
K. Schmidt
U. Capistran
A. Nadig

J. Abel (Auburn)
A. Ganguli (Stevenson)
D. Pendharkar (Stevenson)
B. Wan (Fremd)
D. Kim (Fremd)
E. Ashbrook (Uni Lab)
R. Tang (Barrington)
A. Holtermann (Barrington)
L. Starnes (Barrington)
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational XVII (2.22.2020)

The 17th annual Barrington Invitational is in the books! Stats can be found at the following links
http://bit.ly/2020BI-C = Challenge division
http://bit.ly/2020BI-S = Standard Division
http://bit.ly/2020BI-B = "B" Division

Congratulations to Challenge Division Tournament winner, Palatine Quest A for running the table today!
CHALLENGE DIVISION (12 TEAMS; set = PSACA's Three Rivers)
1. Palatine Quest A
2. Barrington Station A
3. Bloomington JHS A
4. Urbana University Lab A
top scorer: Rohan Ganeshan (Palatine Quest A), 110.5 PPG

STANDARD DIVISION (18 TEAMS; set = SCOP 10 MS)
1. Rolling Meadows Plum Grove A
2. Mount Prospect St. Raymond A
3. Springfield Franklin B
4. Rockford Keith A
Consolation Champion: Lisle Kindi Academy
top scorer: Jack Lopez (Mount Prospect St. Raymond A), 83.64 PPG

"B" DIVISION (16 TEAMS;set = SCOP 10 MS)
1. Rolling Meadows Plum Grove C
2. Springfield Franklin C
3. Palatine Quest B
4. Buffalo Grove Aptakisic C
top scorer: Manu Mamillapalli (Springfield Franklin C), 81.88 PPG

A sincere thanks to all of the staffers who helped me put on this tournament today! Colby Burnett, Mike Laudermith, Adam Sperber, Andrew Nadig, Ali Nagib, Jeremy Nelson, Brad Savage, Karl Schmidt, Nevagay Abel, Justin Abel, Bill Rohner, Frank Hannon, Kyle Asta, Ulysses Capistran, Anne Crumlish, Bob Graham, Abraham Holtermann, Ethan Ashbrook, Danny Kim, Roxanne Tang, Michael Karpov, Bryan Wan, Abigail Bergan, Dhruv Pendharkar, Rishabh Wuppalapati, Alicia Miller, Sophia Price, Timothy Price, Colin Stewart, Patrick Shen, Noah Lewandowski, Maggie Wydman, Jack Lais, Charlie Palmer, Arman Thind, Kate Hannon, Sophia Kostov, Ben Yaney, Cyndi Yang, Adrian Wu, Dev Ganguli, Catherine Rudden, Jonah Burks, Nikolai Selin, and Rahul Adusumalli. Special thanks to Michael Falk for stepping in to moderate for a late moderator in round 1, and Aadit Juneja and Saketh Dontaraju for helping fill in for scorekeepers who had to leave before the tournament finished. Thank you to Brad Fischer, Tyler Vaughan, and Evan Cui for handling the stats today, too!
I'd also like to acknowledge the parents of my Station players for supplying hospitality to our staff and giving me pretty much anything I ask for. People compliment my tournament every year, but I'm here to tell you the parents really are the backbone for ensuring my staffers are well-fed. And last, but most assuredly not least. I'd like to recognize and thank my assistant principal, Tim Haupt, who supports the tournament by handling the concessions and being the administrator on-site for this event. I'm sure there are plenty of ways he'd rather spend his Saturday, but he has never even hinted at dissatisfaction or unhappiness with how he spends his day. It helps, too, when people approach him to tell him what a great time they're having! See you next year at Barrington Invitational XVIII!
Jeff Price