Re-diversifying a team

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
gr_illmann
Kimahri

Re-diversifying a team

Post by gr_illmann »

Hey all,

So I'm taking over the captaincy of my school's team (Bethesda-Chevy Chase, in the DC metro) for the duration of the 2019-2020 year. The team has had its ups and downs for decades now, but for the past several years, our team hasn't been involved in pyramidal quiz bowl, only participating in It's Academic and MABL and the occasional Blake speed tournament. Our longtime coach left for another school this past year, as well. I'm attempting to make some improvements to the team through vigorous recruitment, some fundraising efforts to replace the buzzer systems we lost in the move, and perhaps trying to get involved in some new (pyramidal) formats (trying to build a team from essentially scratch in the DC metro? What folly!) Does anyone have any insight on how to revive a dormant pyramidal team and trying to break into a tough area?

Sincere thanks for any insight y'all can provide.
Last edited by gr_illmann on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Hillmann
Georgetown University '24 (President)
Bethesda-Chevy Chase HS '20 (Captain)
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Re: Re-diversifying a team

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

It's great to see a team that's previously only done MABL/It'sAc transition to pyramidal quizbowl. I would recommend Centennial's IS-A tournament early in the fall and the tournament Gtown usually hosts on an A set as good introductory tournaments for a new team. In addition, I think you'll find many people from the DC circuit would be happy to give you advice, including pretty much everyone from (my former team of) Blair, RM, GDS, etc.
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Re-diversifying a team

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Extraordinarily excited to hear that BCC is trying to do pyramidal quizbowl again - please feel free to PM me (proud alum) for advice!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21