2019 Terrapin 30 proto-announcement

wcheng
Wakka

2019 Terrapin 30 proto-announcement

Post by wcheng »

Since there's no 2018-2019 tournament schedule thread yet, I am preemptively posting this thread in anticipation of an upcoming announcement for 2019 Terrapin 30. Terrapin 30 will be targeted as an EFT-difficulty set, which will be available for mirrors starting in March 2019. Though the set is primarily meant for regular collegiate circuit play, Maryland will promote it as a set that could be used for high school nationals-preparation tournaments. I will be head-editing the tournament, with the other editors to be announced later.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Tejas
Rikku

Re: 2019 Terrapin 30 proto-announcement

Post by Tejas »

Is there a reason you’re abandoning the longstanding and beloved tradition of Terrapin’s name using Roman numerals?
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I thin Vin Diesel has copyrighted that.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

As an E.F.T.-difficulty set available in March, is this tournament meant to replace the usual March Undergraduate Tournament on the schedule? If so, will it also be undergrad-only?
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

everdiso wrote:As an E.F.T.-difficulty set available in March, is this tournament meant to replace the usual March Undergraduate Tournament on the schedule? If so, will it also be undergrad-only?
It is not directly intended to replace MUT/EMT/SMT, since it should be appropriate for teams of all skill levels. The intent of having the tournament be at EFT difficulty is to appeal to a broader possible audience (high school teams looking to prepare for nationals).
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

It is not directly intended to replace MUT/EMT/SMT, since it should be appropriate for teams of all skill levels. The intent of having the tournament be at EFT difficulty is to appeal to a broader possible audience (high school teams looking to prepare for nationals).
What's the reason to have it at the same point in the season, then? MUT could also be mirrored by high school teams, I imagine. This just seems like something that would confilict with it and weaken the fields for both.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

This tournament is intended to be mirrored in early March, whereas historically we have seem MUT/SMT mirrors take place later in March or even April or May. Also, MUT and SMT are targeted explicitly at undergrads and do not allow graduate students to play; Terrapin will be intended for all players and will have a higher target difficulty level. Furthermore, given this year's discussions about how regular difficulty could be brought down to EFT level, I believe that there is no real harm in providing less-experienced players with more tournaments of this difficulty.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27