How to set up next year’s team for success

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
JBSours
Kimahri

How to set up next year’s team for success

Post by JBSours »

My school’s entire varsity team is graduating this year. Now that our season is over, I want to focus on passing on the knowledge base that I’ve accrued to the sophomores (we’ve never had juniors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). What are the best ways to do that?

If this has already been discussed elsewhere, I’d appreciate a link to that thread.
Cole Horvath
New Trier '18
Cornell '22
jesposito
Lulu

Re: How to set up next year’s team for success

Post by jesposito »

This happened last year with our team, and imo the best thing you can do is pass on good studying techniques and a good work ethic. Try to make sure that the sophomores are studying, not just studying but studying correctly, and talk to them about how they can be their best. If you want to, you can try to make study guides or flashcard sets that might help them, but at the end of the day they're gonna have to learn that by themselves like everyone else. The best way to make sure this happens is by giving them the advice and resources to do that!

Side note, our team seems to skip every other grade as we had almost no juniors or freshman last year. I wonder if there's an explanation or if it's just a coincidence?
Joe Esposito
Aurora, Ohio, 2019
Ohio State University, 2023
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

JBSours wrote:My school’s entire varsity team is graduating this year. Now that our season is over, I want to focus on passing on the knowledge base that I’ve accrued to the sophomores (we’ve never had juniors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). What are the best ways to do that?

If this has already been discussed elsewhere, I’d appreciate a link to that thread.
Do you mean logistic knowledge base, or quizbowl knowledge base? If the former, this thread may interest you.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
JBSours
Kimahri

Post by JBSours »

Most of the logistical part is out of my hands as a highschooler, so I’m more looking for that quiz bowl knowledge. I think Joe has the right of it, to pass on the strategies more than the facts, though if I hear something particularly stock that they don’t know I’ll pass that on. Hopefully they’ll be motivated to study.
Cole Horvath
New Trier '18
Cornell '22
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

jesposito wrote:studying, not just studying but studying correctly,
What does this mean?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
jesposito
Lulu

Post by jesposito »

tiwonge wrote:
jesposito wrote:studying, not just studying but studying correctly,
What does this mean?
Well it might not be as much of an issue with teams that are well established and such, but a lot of kids on my team seemed to think you could just learn the names of books and the authors, and that would do it, or that they could just learn a few stock facts about the book and that'd be it. I tried to instill the fact that although that type of studying might work well against bad teams and for bonuses, to beat the best teams you need to get an in depth understanding of the material, not just a vague idea. Also, for new kids, directing them on what to study. Rather than dates of births of presidents (?) or an extremely thorough examination of moon missions, both of which kids wanted to study, just directing them towards frequency lists and core works. Overall just any obvious mistakes I learned when I was a young player that can help the team grow.
Joe Esposito
Aurora, Ohio, 2019
Ohio State University, 2023