awards given at end of season?

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
fhsasstcoach
Kimahri

awards given at end of season?

Post by fhsasstcoach »

Curious if any schools give out individual awards at the end of the Scholastic Bowl season for their school teams. We are considering doing an "awards night", and are trying to come up with some awards that we can consistently give each year. So far, thinking of:
Most points overall (stats based)
Most points in one match (stats based)
Team player: Description of award: This player represented selfless team spirit for the season. (overall contributed to our team’s success and morale)

Any other ideas?
Marsha Hays
Fisher High School
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Re: awards given at end of season?

Post by El Salvadoreno »

I can only speak for Carmel, but we had an awards night at the end of the year where there was a Varsity and JV team MVP announced (came with a trophy) as well as smaller awards (medallions, iirc) for non-MVP important contributors. Everyone was recognized regardless of whether they won an award. In this way, you can recognize more people (especially since the person that scores the most points over the season with have the highest one game score).

We also had a mini tournament in which Varsity played JV and parents played teachers and the winners faced off in a final. This was always a blast (and would be if it does not come with an awards ceremony).
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

We didn't have a separate ceremony, but our school hosted an academic awards ceremony at the end of each year where they recognized people who earned scholarships, participated in prestigious state programs (like Boys State), and did well in their classes. It was at this ceremony where the quiz bowl coaches also had a chance to recognize their team members, award letters, etc. This allowed the team to be recognized in front of their classmates and families, not just as a team-only event.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

El Salvadoreno wrote:I can only speak for Carmel, but we had an awards night at the end of the year where there was a Varsity and JV team MVP announced (came with a trophy) as well as smaller awards (medallions, iirc) for non-MVP important contributors. Everyone was recognized regardless of whether they won an award. In this way, you can recognize more people (especially since the person that scores the most points over the season with have the highest one game score).
My high school team had an end-of-year banquet where we did something like this, with various "creative" awards so as to recognize everyone, although it's been far too long for me to remember any examples.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15