Quiz Bowl in India?

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Hammerkop
Lulu

Quiz Bowl in India?

Post by Hammerkop »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've been following Quizbowl for about 2 years now. The only problem is that I can't participate in any because I'm in India. I'm a high school student, and I specialize in science, specifically chemistry. I really would like to participate, but there isn't such a thing in India; there are only standard quizzes. I plan to continue in India for undergraduate programs also, so even if I do participate in the US, I would be in a masters program by then. My question is, is there any plan to spread to India at some point, or if not, how do I go about setting up a small league? What will I require?
Thanks for your help!
~Birdie
Krishna "Birdie" Girish
AMC '18
Life List: 521 species!
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: Quiz Bowl in India?

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Satanic Nightjar wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've been following Quizbowl for about 2 years now. The only problem is that I can't participate in any because I'm in India. I'm a high school student, and I specialize in science, specifically chemistry. I really would like to participate, but there isn't such a thing in India; there are only standard quizzes. I plan to continue in India for undergraduate programs also, so even if I do participate in the US, I would be in a masters program by then. My question is, is there any plan to spread to India at some point, or if not, how do I go about setting up a small league? What will I require?
Thanks for your help!
~Birdie
I'm not sure if NAQT has any plans for expansion into India, but International History Bee and Bowl competitions are very much a thing. You can see if there's one near you at this website: http://www.ihbbasia.com/. Regrettably, IHBB doesn't cover much science.

I'll also note that online tournaments happen very frequently; if you have skype or discord, you should try one sometime! The announcements are almost always posted here on the forum, but for further details I'd join a group called Quiz Bowl But it's Only Skypebowl Links on Facebook.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
elyne road
Lulu

Re: Quiz Bowl in India?

Post by elyne road »

This is great to hear! I actually used to live in Bangalore (I went to Inventure from 4th to 5th standard and Head Start from 6th to 7th), and I only discovered quiz bowl when I started High School back in the States. Assuming that the 9:30-10:30 hour gap isn't too bad, then feel free to play packets on Skype!
S. A. Shenoy ~they/them~
Georgia Tech 202x