Not a new team, but a new(ish) player.

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
kingofcroutons
Lulu

Not a new team, but a new(ish) player.

Post by kingofcroutons »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm just gonna post it here. I am a freshman at my high school, though I competed in Governor's Cup (It's a Kentucky-Specific quizbowl program in elementary through high school.) In Governor's Cup the weight of Fine Arts is much greater, probably averaging about 4 ish questions per packet. In NAQT, and other common quizbowl formats, it seems there are much less Fine Arts questions. Is it worth it for me to specialize in another subject alongside FIne Arts or should I stick with studying Fine Arts only outside of practice? There is only one other FIne Arts person on the team and they are a senior.

TL;DR Is Fine Arts common enough in quizbowl for me to study it only, or should I pick up another alongside Fine Arts like Philosophy or Religion?
Keaton Martin, Woodford County High School '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: Not a new team, but a new(ish) player.

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

kingofcroutons wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm just gonna post it here. I am a freshman at my high school, though I competed in Governor's Cup (It's a Kentucky-Specific quizbowl program in elementary through high school.) In Governor's Cup the weight of Fine Arts is much greater, probably averaging about 4 ish questions per packet. In NAQT, and other common quizbowl formats, it seems there are much less Fine Arts questions. Is it worth it for me to specialize in another subject alongside FIne Arts or should I stick with studying Fine Arts only outside of practice? There is only one other FIne Arts person on the team and they are a senior.

TL;DR Is Fine Arts common enough in quizbowl for me to study it only, or should I pick up another alongside Fine Arts like Philosophy or Religion?
NAQT has a substantially lower art distro than most formats, but even with that in mind, I'd recommend picking up another subject. Geography and current events are each 1/1 in NAQT and are both very easy to pick up (play a Paradox game or stare at an atlas for long periods of time for the former, subscribe to The Economist or read the BBC online for the latter). If you want to start picking up philosophy, I'd recommend starting by reading Russell's History of Western Philosophy. Good luck and happy studying!
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
kingofcroutons
Lulu

Re: Not a new team, but a new(ish) player.

Post by kingofcroutons »

Sit Room Guy wrote:
kingofcroutons wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm just gonna post it here. I am a freshman at my high school, though I competed in Governor's Cup (It's a Kentucky-Specific quizbowl program in elementary through high school.) In Governor's Cup the weight of Fine Arts is much greater, probably averaging about 4 ish questions per packet. In NAQT, and other common quizbowl formats, it seems there are much less Fine Arts questions. Is it worth it for me to specialize in another subject alongside FIne Arts or should I stick with studying Fine Arts only outside of practice? There is only one other FIne Arts person on the team and they are a senior.

NAQT has a substantially lower art distro than most formats, but even with that in mind, I'd recommend picking up another subject. Geography and current events are each 1/1 in NAQT and are both very easy to pick up (play a Paradox game or stare at an atlas for long periods of time for the former, subscribe to The Economist or read the BBC online for the latter). If you want to start picking up philosophy, I'd recommend starting by reading Russell's History of Western Philosophy. Good luck and happy studying!
Thanks!
Keaton Martin, Woodford County High School '21