New Advisor

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
jkent
Kimahri

New Advisor

Post by jkent »

Hi! I am a new advisor for an established team. The previous advisor did not leave any materials. :( I have met with some of the team leaders but they were never given the team schedule, or even know what league(s) we are in! Is there anywhere I can go to determine if we are already signed up for matches???

Thank you!
-Jennifer
Pinckney High School, Pinckney, Michigan
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: New Advisor

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the quizbowl community!

As of 2015-16, Pinckney competed in the Michigan Inter-County League (contact info for that league, which expects to begin play in November, and a number of other events in Michigan, is available on naqt.com). In addition, there's a Michigan schedule thread on this forum (which so far has just the first few events of the fall, but will eventually have a full list for the entire competition year). In particular, the University of Michigan's Fall Classic, which takes place annually in early December, is probably the closest major tournament to your school.

Let us know if you have any questions about how to get started!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hello Jennifer,

Michigan State is also hosting a tournament on October 14 and we have several spots available. Michigan has tons of tournaments throughout the season as Jeff Hopppes mentioned. MSU will also host our annual Rube Goldberg tournament sometime in January. You can reference last year's Michigan thread as a good barometer for how many events there will be this year. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about tournaments to attend in Michigan. There are also some experienced coaches I can put you in contact with if you have any other questions.

Best of luck this season!
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

On the practice material side of things - and this may something your previous advisor/current team members have mentioned - there are tons of questions from previous years' tournaments available for free download at http://quizbowlpackets.com/ and http://www.historybowl.com/resources/st ... resources/. The former is primarily all-subject quizbowl, and the latter is History Bowl, with the expected focus on history questions. The important thing with both resources is that the questions are written pyramidally, with a question's clues going from hard to easy. Here is an essay that explains that a bit more; if you're completely new to quizbowl, it'll help introduce the backbone of the game.

You've definitely come to the right place to ask questions - let us know anything you'd like to know more about! Welcome!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)