The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil

Old college threads.
vizcacha

The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil

Post by vizcacha » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:36 pm

The Illinois Academic Buzzer Team is pleased to announce that Illinois Open 2005 will take place on Saturday, November 5. A more detailed announcement, complete with fees and the like, will be posted at a later time.

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:48 am

The following is an announcement and call for interest for The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil, which will be hosted by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Academic Buzzer Team on the “picturesqueâ€

Captain Sinico
Auron

Illinois Open Update

Post by Captain Sinico » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:14 pm

The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil is a mere month away, so here's an update. Thus far, I have confirmed interest from the following teams:
  • Bowling Green
  • Chris Goheen et al
  • Matt Lafer, Ryan Westbrook, et al.
  • "RØB" Severson et al.
  • UIC
  • Jerry Vinokurov, Andrew Yaphe, et al.
I have additionally heard rumors and allegations of interest from various other teams, including but not limited to Chicago, Kentucky, and Michigan. For answers to questions about the Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil or to register for this tournament, please e-mail me as soon as possible at msorice@uiuc.edu.
The no-penalty packet submission period will expire in a few hours. Thus far, I have received one packet. Please get your packets to me at msorice@uiuc.edu as soon as they're done.
Finally, the astute quizbowler will note that Seth Teitler's Myth Singles 1: Tlazolteotl Chows Down will be held in conjunction with the Illinois Open 2005. The details of Myth Singles are available here, but, in short, I expect this event to be of the highest quality and, in fact, hope to play in it myself. To register for this event, please e-mail both Seth at setht@uchicago.edu and myself at msorice@uiuc.edu as soon as you can.

Many thanks,
Mike Sorice
Tournament Director and Chief Editor, the Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil

Captain Sinico
Auron

Brief Results

Post by Captain Sinico » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:20 am

Somewhere Among Us, a Stone is Taking Notes (Yaphe, Vinokurov, Litvak, McClaren) defeated Michigan (Kemezis, Rapaport, Turner, Haddad) in a two-game final to win The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil. Andrew Yaphe was the top scorer. Full stats and results will follow shortly.

MaS

Captain Sinico
Auron

The Illinois Open 2005 Results

Post by Captain Sinico » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:30 am

Somewhere Among Us a Stone Is Taking Notes (Litvak, McElroy, Vinokurov, Yaphe) defeated Michigan (Kemezis, Rapaport, Turner, Haddad), topping a field of 11 teams to win the Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil. The full stats for this tournament are now available here. These include the results of the initial 11-team full round robin, but not the two rounds of finals; these can be produced if there is demand for them. Anyone with questions about these stats or the tournament results can raise them here, and I will do my best to answer them.

That dispensed with, I'd like to offer my sincerest thanks to everyone who made this tournament possible, particularly: to all the teams that came out, for having faith in us, for being polite and gracious about the errors that were made, for warm complements and honest feedback, and for writing a number of outstanding packets; to our mirror sites at BU and Wake Forest for mirroring this event and for their patience with the various foibles of getting the packets out; to the members and alumni of the ABT who came out to staff the event and/or play on our house team, Sulee Cao, Micah Hodosh, Eddie Ruan, Micah Rumsey, Mark Sieklucki, John Smiley, Donald Taylor, Andrew Ullsperger, and Chris Vichich; to guest staffer Anna Garst; to our stats dude, Scott Green; to our moderating staff, Steven Canning, Tom Phillips, Sudheer Potru, and special guest Leah Williams; to Ray Luo and Dwight Wynne of UCLA for writing an outstanding freelance packet (your packets are in the mail) and to Matt Weiner of VCU for contributing a great packet as well; to the ABT members who wrote a number of quality questions for use at this event, Tom Phillips, Sudheer Potru, and Micah Hodosh; and especially to Sudheer Potru and Kelly Tourdot, who were outstanding assistant editors. I thank you all very much for making this event a success, and I can only hope that next year's event knows such good fortune and friends, whoever's running it.

The questions from the Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil are now available for sale or trade. Please e-mail me at msorice@uiuc.edu if you are interested in purchasing or trading for this set.

Mike Sorice
Tournament Director, The Illinois Open 2005: Spite, Death and the Devil
Last edited by Captain Sinico on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:42 am

For the hell of it, here are the results of the finals:

Final 1:
Michigan (185) def. Somewhere Among Us a Stone Is Taking Notes (170).
Michigan scoring: Samir 0/0, Will 2/2, Adam 3/1, Dave 2/0.
Among Us a Stone Is Taking Notes scoring: Jerry 3/1, Andrew 5/0, Paul 0/1, Tim 0/0.

Final 2:
Somewhere Among Us a Stone Is Taking Notes (260) def. Michigan (175).
Michigan scoring: Samir 0/0, Will 3/1, Adam 4/0, Dave 1/0.
Somewhere Among Us a Stone Is Taking Notes scoring: Jerry 1/1, Andrew 5/1, Paul 3/0, Tim 0/0.

Also, if anyone hadn't noticed, results from Seth Teitler's Myth Singles 1: Tlazolteotl Chows Down, which immediately followed this tournament, have been posted here. The questions from this event were of the absolute highest quality and I applaud Seth for writing such excellent questions. I urge anyone who likes good myth questions, or just good questions in general, to acquire the set as soon as possible.

MaS

MLafer
Tidus

Post by MLafer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:43 am

I noticed no one has commented on this tournament yet, so I just wanted to give the usual accolades and let the Illinois team know that they did a great job. The moderators were uniformly good and the tournament ran almost as smoothly as I've ever seen. The questions were great mid-level mACF fare.

I just have two relatively minor complaints:

1. The format that was run was a single round robin followed by a final. This only gave a total of 10 games which definitely errs on the low side. I know there was a dearth of good packets and this was the cause, but I ask, why were there so few packets? This tournament was played at three different sites, and as far as I could tell, only three teams from the two mirror sites (BU, Wake Forest, and VCU) had usable questions (I'm assuming that if there were any other usable questions, they would have been used). The New England area has already run at least three mirrors this year with more on the way, it wouldn't hurt if some of these teams actually contributed to the tournaments that they were attending instead of mooching off the hard work that other regions put in.

2. I know a lot of editors use Word to order their questions randomly, but it seemed a lot of the packets had the really hard tossups clustered toward the end. I realize that the order doesn't really matter, but it's a little disheartening when a team is attempting to stage a comeback and you run into a block of 3-4 tossups that just go dead. Maybe a quick look over the packet after randomization to prevent bad "feng shui", so to speak, could be done to prevent this.

edit: I just noticed the IO discussion thread; if a mod could append this post to that thread, it would be much appreciated.