West virginia

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

West virginia

Post by CrimeandPunishment »

Does anyone know of any good teams or Quiz Bowl Tournaments in West Virginia?
Go lafayette!
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

The only one on this site's list can be found here.

I can't speak for it, but I thought I'd post this just in case you missed it.
"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Edmonson County HS Academic Team
Brownsville, KY
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Ripley, Charleston Catholic and the schools around Parkersburg are consistently among the state's elite. Those schools compare favorably to any in Ohio or Kentucky. Maybe just a step below what you would find in Virginia and Maryland.

Fred Morlan runs good events from West Virginia Wesleyan. He posts here frequently. I think Parkersburg South? also has some tournaments from time to time. I can speak personally for WVWC as we have been there three times and had a great time everytime.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The official (and ugly) WVACA quiz bowl page can be found here.
jrbellas wrote:Ripley, Charleston Catholic and the schools around Parkersburg are consistently among the state's elite. Those schools compare favorably to any in Ohio or Kentucky. Maybe just a step below what you would find in Virginia and Maryland.
I don't know about Ripley/ChasCath/PHS/etc comparing favorably to duPont Manual and the like. My list of the top programs (sorta in order) in WV:

Parkersburg High, Charleston Catholic, Ripley, Cabell Midland (near Huntington), George Washington (from Charleston; if/when they go to tournaments), University High (Morgantown), Bridgeport, Parkersburg Catholic, Parkersburg South and St. Marys.

Upcoming West Virginia tournaments are:

West Virginia Wesleyan College Academic Team's Bobcat Academic Team Tournament 3 in Buckhannon, WV (yeah, I'm pimping it because I run it) on September 24th
Oct. 1: Hurricane
Oct. 29: Cabell Midland
Nov. 12: Parkersburg Catholic
Jan. 21: Bridgeport

I've heard Parkersburg South doesn't have plans to run their tournament this year; I don't know if it's true or not.

If you have any more questions or are interested in attending a particular tournament, feel free to bounce 'em off me.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

Thanks guys. I just moved to WV from KY so I know what it feels like to play against good teams. I used to go to Lafayette (which used to be good about 15 years ago). We played and got killed by Dupont and Dunbar..lol
Go lafayette!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

CrimeandPunishment wrote:Thanks guys. I just moved to WV from KY so I know what it feels like to play against good teams. I used to go to Lafayette (which used to be good about 15 years ago). We played and got killed by Dupont and Dunbar..lol
Which school do you attend now?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

Morgantown High School. I just moved here.
Go lafayette!