Odd Ways of Learning Things

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Odd Ways of Learning Things

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I got through HS ancient history Qs with the knowledge from the guidebook to the original AoE.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

tintinnabulation wrote:I'm just waiting to get something historical off of an episode of Doctor Who. It's bound to happen sometime.
I'm pretty sure this has happened for me, although I can't remember any specific examples at the moment. However, terrible art player me did learn to associate van Gogh and Arles from that one.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

Plan Rubber wrote:
tintinnabulation wrote:I'm just waiting to get something historical off of an episode of Doctor Who. It's bound to happen sometime.
I'm pretty sure this has happened for me, although I can't remember any specific examples at the moment. However, terrible art player me did learn to associate van Gogh and Arles from that one.
Gonna say "Van Goff" instead of "Van Go" now, too.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

In high school (back in the dark ages when pyramidal tournaments were practically nonexistent in Missouri) I once answered a question on Minnesota when it mentioned Mankato as a city in the state. I learned that from reading Best Buy newspaper ads, which at that time had fine print on several pages indicating that certain items weren't available in the store there.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

ScoBo wrote:In high school (back in the dark ages when pyramidal tournaments were practically nonexistent in Missouri) I once answered a question on Minnesota when it mentioned Mankato as a city in the state. I learned that from reading Best Buy newspaper ads, which at that time had fine print on several pages indicating that certain items weren't available in the store there.
I think this wins.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If we're going to go with learning weird things to get tossups on bad questions, I scored several points in middle school on outdated questions. My favorite was a question they used at least 5 times in my 3 year middle school career: "Name this basketball conference that includes schools such as Louisville, Virginia Tech, and UNC Charlotte." Right after Virginia Tech, I would buzz in with "Metro Conference. That question is no longer correct by the way." The Metro Conference broke up in 1995, but I know some of its history because the drawers of my dresser were lined with newspapers from the early 90s, which sometime in 5th or 6th grade I started reading when I got bored. Why this question was still being used as late as 2004 is a mystery, but I got points off of it several times.

As far as pyramidal questions go, I've answered multiple US geography questions in my career simply because I've always loved a good road atlas and have answered on clues (like geographic features, landmarks, and cities) that I saw on the map. (EDIT: This could be "academic" I guess)
Nicholas C
KQBA member
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:As far as pyramidal questions go, I've answered multiple US geography questions in my career simply because I've always loved a good road atlas and have answered on clues (like geographic features, landmarks, and cities) that I saw on the map.
:monocle:
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

A teammate once first-lined "Whitehorse" because the tossup mentioned her grandfather.

(Plus if I remember these forums right, Ted Gioia has accomplished similar.)
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

bmcke wrote:A teammate once first-lined "Whitehorse" because the tossup mentioned her grandfather.

This reminds me of something similar. I have gotten many tossups on the UAW because my high school quizbowl coach's grandfather participated in the Battle of the Overpass (see http://tinyurl.com/33kgfj if unfamiliar).
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

bmcke wrote:A teammate once first-lined "Whitehorse" because the tossup mentioned her grandfather.

I once got a question on Copenhagen because my great-great-great-great-great grandfather/uncle/some really old relationship was an artist and was mentally unstable and thought he was Jesus Christ and walked out into the Copenhagen Bay, thinking he could walk on water, and proceeded to drown
Joe
Delaware
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Ben Cohen powered a question on Hillary Clinton advisor Mark Penn at HSNCT a few years ago because Penn was married to one of his parent's cousins and had given Ben a signed copy of the book that was the question's first clue.

Steve Server powered a question on Tenderloin at the following HSNCT to defeat State College in overtime because his parents had to walk through the red light Tenderloin district during their honeymoon when their car broke down and talked about the incident repeatedly.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

For me, learning things usually involves encountering the same topics in 3-5 different settings/application/contexts/etc. Nothing "odd" about it, I guess, just that I have to force myself to do a lot of problems/write a lot of questions/approach the same topic from different angles to truly understand it.

Among the more odd ways, I guess:

When driving back from NSC 2009, Rob, Bernadette and I heard an interview of a GMU professor who had recently written a biography of Osip Mandelstam, titled The Stalin Epigram. We were silent throughout the interview, and at the end of it we did a double take, a la "Whoa, so much ACF for an NPR interview!" Needless to say, I remember a lot more about Osip Mandelstam than I do about many other Soviet authors.

My roommates throughout college worked on a variety of different research projects in Biology, and I learned a lot by talking with them. Specifically about HIV proteins, DNA repair, and Xenopus. Helped me a bunch at various tournaments.

A lot of the Indian history/politics that I got at tournaments was from reading Indian newspapers on a semi-regular basis, and talking with my father about various events. A bunch of the content I learned in 6th-8th grade in India, but had mostly forgotten in by the time I got to college. Were it not for the news paper reading/conversations, I'd never have remembered it. I also did a fair amount map tracing of the various continents back in 3rd-5th grade and labeling the various physical features, which also helped understand physical geography of the world. I was obviously never dominant in it though.

A good chunk of the chemistry I learned from a molecule modeling kit I got in 6th grade. I used to have a fun time building stuff. :smile:

I'm sure a fair amount of the knowledge I had has atrophied by now, and I don't think I will ever bother trying to actively relearn it. Whatever I will learn from random watching of National Geographic/Discover or listening to podcasts, will be sufficient for me.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:Consequently I have nontrivial knowledge about those things. Tales of Symphonia is a great source of Norse myth answerlines.
Yep, that's how I first built my knowledge base in Norse myth.

EDIT: Also, :capybara: to Susan's choice of books.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

On last month's American Mathematics Contest, there was a question that boiled down to "Charles Dickens celebrates his 200th birthday today, on a Tuesday. [Insert leap year rules here] What day of the week was Dickens born?" The idea being you'd solve it with modular arithmetic.

At least one person at my school noted solving it due to hearing on the radio, and another somewhere mentioned having recently read David Copperfield, which begins "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously."

Now granted, that's an autobiographical novel, but still a novel, so such details are not necessarily reliable, but I thought it amusing.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I first learned about the Air Traffic Controller strike during Reagan's presidency because my AP US History teacher's father was one of those who got fired as a result of it.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
ACPackers
Kimahri

Post by ACPackers »

I don't know if this fits in the category or not, but I was watching Braveheart and it inspired me to research the major characters and battles and the I saw the new captain america movie and for fun I researched the Red Skull and two days later the red skull and edward 3 came up in practice and i knew them.
Adrian Carr
Chipola College 13
Sneads High School 10
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

ACPackers wrote:I don't know if this fits in the category or not, but I was watching Braveheart and it inspired me to research the major characters and battles and the I saw the new captain america movie and for fun I researched the Red Skull and two days later the red skull and edward 3 came up in practice and i knew them.
The antagonist was actually Edward I.

But be careful, because Braveheart is loaded with historical inaccuracies. William Wallace probably wasn't Edward III's father...
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
ACPackers
Kimahri

Post by ACPackers »

mhayes wrote:
ACPackers wrote:I don't know if this fits in the category or not, but I was watching Braveheart and it inspired me to research the major characters and battles and the I saw the new captain america movie and for fun I researched the Red Skull and two days later the red skull and edward 3 came up in practice and i knew them.
The antagonist was actually Edward I.

But be careful, because Braveheart is loaded with historical inaccuracies. William Wallace probably wasn't Edward III's father...
Anyway yeah I knew that, but I researched the major characters and one thing led to another and I stumbled upon Edward 3.
Adrian Carr
Chipola College 13
Sneads High School 10
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Internet appliance wrote: I learned a good amount of my norse myth knowledge from reading a guidebook for age of mythology :/
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Especially at DII SCT, ACF Fall, and EACN, there seem to be an inordinate number of myth bonuses that I have thirtied, by virtue of having been obsessed with that game about seven years ago. I think I've even first-lined a few in practice, based on this "knowledge."

I'll also add, in case it hasn't been mentioned, that the Alchemyst series, by Michael Scott, seems to drop some names that come up fairly frequently. However, here be dragons: the myth systems are completely mutilated, and those books are far from reliable in terms of concrete facts. My point is that the series is great for pointing out the important figures (and I've picked up more than a few points on Celtic myth bonuses from name-dropping), but I'd never rely on it for accurate clues.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:
What is it like to be a Batman? wrote:
Atlee Hammaker wrote:One of my better buzzes, powering Isambard Kingdom Brunel at Gunpei Yokoi, was actually an artifact of my deep Achewood knowledge.
EDIT: Oh, and the only reason I know who Cesare Borgia is is that he's mentioned in Killah Priest's "B.I.B.L.E." at the end of GZA's Liquid Swords, and I've managed to snag tossups at the end because I know he's the "second son of Pope Alexander." I should probably look him up for real, though.
Or you could play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and that'll give you a sufficient amount of Cesare Borgia knowledge.
Quoted for truth. AC is a game that has something worth learning about while playing. At the same time, I'd say Call of Duty 1, 2, and 3 were fun to play and playing them in middle school gave me a general idea of the eastern theatre of World War II, including the Battle of Stalingrad, Second Battle of El Aleiman and Operation Overlord, for instance.

I don't claim to know science, but I've gotten a question before somewhere (probably IRC/quizbowl central) on the Higgs Boson from hearing about it mentioned on Futurama.

I also got a question on Arkansas that mentioned the Battle of Pine Bluff, and I remembered Arkansas-Pine Bluff as being one of the crappy programs one would use to fill their schedule on dynasty mode from NCAA 05.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

At the past two tournaments or practices I've gone to, I have gotten questions based off school names from this forum. For example, I read a sample NHBB packet and got a question about the state quarter with Caesar Rodney on it because of that school being on this forum.
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

AustinlSmith wrote:At the past two tournaments or practices I've gone to, I have gotten questions based off school names from this forum. For example, I read a sample NHBB packet and got a question about the state quarter with Caesar Rodney on it because of that school being on this forum.
Sweet. The art teacher at our high school actually designed that quarter, too. When i went to CR as a student many moons ago, the students were given some of the first copies of the quarter before the public did.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

I once got a tossup on Endgame in the playoffs at NSC because it was the name of one of the prelim brackets at that tournament and I decided to read the Wiki article about it on a whim.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Another thing: I've gotten early buzzes on British (especially Irish and Scottish) history from listening to more celtic rock music than is probably healthy (in order of usefulness: The Pogues, The Dubliners, The Young Dubliners, Dropkick Murphys, and a few others).

If you can get past the inaccessibility of some of the lyrics, they can clue you into some really important facts from 1500~1950. Also, Shane MacGowan is impossible to understand.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A couple from ACF Nationals:

Andrew Hart recently went to Europe and when he came back he gave me a souvenir, a postcard with a picture of Joseph Wright of Derby's painting about the bird and the air pump. Now I had written on that dude/painting before, but hadn't really thought of it in a while, so this reminded me of what it looked like and what Wright's name was, so I buzzed on it at Nats.

I have never read The Organization Man. I could probably tell you the basic idea of what its argument is, but not much else. As I was writing my dissertation, I needed to get some choice quotes of sociologists talking about suburbia and there is a fine chapter in the book talking about an Illinois suburb, which I quoted extensively. Luckily, that chapter was used as a clue for Nationals.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Cheynem wrote:Andrew Hart recently went to Europe and when he came back he gave me a souvenir, a postcard with a picture of Joseph Wright of Derby's painting about the bird and the air pump. Now I had written on that dude/painting before, but hadn't really thought of it in a while, so this reminded me of what it looked like and what Wright's name was, so I buzzed on it at Nats.
Of course, some of us know this because it is the name of a defunct punk band based in London. Here's a video of them.

I went to Bristol a bit over a year ago and ended up killing time waiting for my train by having apple pie in a pub. It was one of those pubs that aggressively promotes live music, so they had flyers advertising all the awesome bands that had played there. You may know that the Bristol music scene is famous for producing Massive Attack. I looked and looked at this list of bands, and I realized that I hadn't heard of any of them. I decided to take the list and memorize some of the more bizarre band names. That way, if somebody asked what kind of music I liked, I could demonstrate my absolute superiority by explaining that I really like the Bristol music scene. Then I could deride that person for not knowing as much as I do about no.lay or Tim and Sam's Tim and Sam Band.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

This is pretty late to mention, but what the hell. I powered the Nation of Islam TU at Penn Bowl this year thanks to knowing Five-Percenter mythology because of Wu-Tang Clan songs. The lesson here is that Wu-Tang is for the quizbowl-playing children.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I got a St. Francis of Assisi tossup because my brother attended a high school named after him. It had a yearbook called Poverello and Poverello came up as a clue in the first line of the tossup.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
fizzball
Wakka

Post by fizzball »

Got a question on Robbie Robertson based on his producing Neil Diamond's Beautiful Noise LP; for years my mom's favorite weekend house-cleaning soundtrack. Powered a question on Hollywoodland thanks to an acquaintance with a George Reeves biographer.

One of the few times my wife has quizzed, she 30'd a bonus on Sun Chips solely because her job at the time involved going to very tedious textbook focus groups. The chips would be served and she'd stare at the packages in boredom.

Also, everything Cheyne says upthread regarding MAD magazine. (also National Lampoon, to an extent).
--Greg Sorenson
Gerbils
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

I've been watching these lately:

Crash Course (found here: http://tinyurl.com/83t2tyq): These are 10 - 13 minute videos about biology or history. They are well produced and are usually pretty funny.

Numberphile (http://tinyurl.com/7wkayo2): These are pretty cool videos about mathematics. They aren't very technical, but are highly amusing. I really like the one about Graham's Number.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

You can learn a lot from reading academic blogs. I did.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

itsthatoneguy wrote: Numberphile (http://tinyurl.com/7wkayo2): These are pretty cool videos about mathematics. They aren't very technical, but are highly amusing. I really like the one about Graham's Number.
I approve of this source of learning things, though I will admit that the knowledge has yet to help me in Quizbowl.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Post by pleasewalkforward »

I've gotten buzzes on Pinter from watching the reverse-chronology Seinfeld episode The Betrayal, based loosely off his work of similar name.
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Saint Anselm's Abbey School, '12
Yale University, '16
University of California, Los Angeles, '19
Former Treasurer and Member, Yale Student Academic Competitions
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Learned about the Jallianwala Bagh massacre and General Dyer (who was a third bonus part at NSC) from a rap song.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

a joke about the use/mention distinction wrote:Learned about the Jallianwala Bagh massacre and General Dyer (who was a third bonus part at NSC) from a rap song.
Dude, Das Racist like the black quarterback.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
blizzard
Lulu

Post by blizzard »

Watching The Amazing Race has helped me get geography questions. The song "Say You'll Go" by Janelle Monae first taught me what samsara is. Also, the cover of The Archandroid, also by Janelle Monae, led me to having a brief understanding of the plot of the film Metropolis. The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde has helped me with some literature questions.
Sam
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

blizzard wrote:Watching The Amazing Race has helped me get geography questions. The song "Say You'll Go" by Janelle Monae first taught me what samsara is. Also, the cover of The Archandroid, also by Janelle Monae, led me to having a brief understanding of the plot of the film Metropolis. The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde has helped me with some literature questions.
Her song "Cold War" gave me a brief understanding of the Cold War.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Most Count of Monte Cristo/Dumas buzzes I've had came from watching V for Vendetta.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

I've gotten a crap tone of Roman History tossups by playing the crap out of Rome Total War. Also, Civilization 4's civilopedia has given me a crap ton of History knowledge.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

At VCUO 2010, I remember getting the tossup on Parc Guell because I had recently purchased a Tony Hawk Xbox game for ten bucks and one of the levels had you skate all over the thing.
Rachel
UChicago 09
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The FOX Kids show Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog from way back when is excellent for picking up some Welsh Myth tidbits. Also, Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego (for PC) racked me up many history buzzes. These are both reasons why the 90's were just...just fantastic.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I powered a question on tuberculosis one time because for my 10th grade Honors English class I'd written a story that included a guy with Munchausen's Syndrome who tried to convince his doctors he had liver disease by turning his urine orange, which he did by taking rifampin (a medication used to treat TB). I also learned a lot about the Negev Desert while writing the story, since the plot mainly revolved around a Miami doctor who accidentally took a time machine back to Biblical Israel and everyone thought he was Jesus because he was curing people.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The first time I ever heard Blake's "The Tyger" was in an episode of Batman the Animated Series.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I also got a lot of questions on Solidarity because in 6th grade I was flipping through an encyclopedia looking for the article on Wales and went a page too far and read about Walesa instead.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

My knowledge of Great Zimbabwe comes entirely from a book of African history that my father took from the forgotten items from a fired employee's office in Kazan, also got a sweet Icon of Alexander Nevsky.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

As Dan and Malis will never let me forget, I once got a nice science power from remembering a description I read once of 4th-gen Pokemon weather conditions.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

As ashamed as I am to say, getting a tossup on "Kublai Khan"(Coleridge poem) early from listening to "Xanadu" by Rush.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

I have gotten at least one tossup related to Japanese Internment from the Fort Minor song "Kenji"
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I got a bonus part on a certain writer at a recent tournament because I used to volunteer at a local library, and I was once approached by an old lady who a fan of that writer, and asked me to help her find some of his books. (I can't name the author, as not all mirrors of the set are done.)

edit: it was Zane Grey
Last edited by Muriel Axon on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I got the VCU Closed question on saving Jews during the Holocaust thanks to my obsessively deep knowledge of Hark, A Vagrant!: http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=144
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20