IHSSBCA Kickoff

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

IHSSBCA Kickoff

Post by jonah »

This Saturday, something like 176 teams will be playing IHSSBCA's annual Kickoff tournament at six locations throughout the state (Carbondale, Centennial [Champaign], Greenville, PORTA [Petersburg], Sterling, and Wheaton North). The tournaments are using NAQT IS-109.

Here's what I know about the fields:
Greenville (16): Althoff, Breese x2, Carlinville, Carrollton, Greenville x2, Marquette x2, Mt. Carmel, O'Fallon x3, Southwestern x2, Vandalia. This site will do 4 rounds of power-matching, and I'm not sure what comes after that, but per IHSSBCA rules everyone will play at least 7 games and single-elimination will not be used. The top 3 teams will qualify for HSNCT.

Sterling (24): Belvidere North x2, Belvidere x2, Bettendorf, Byron x2, Dixon, Galesburg, Geneseo, Moline, Morrison x2, Newman Central, Putnam County, Rock Falls, Rockford Boylan, Rockford Christian, Rockford Guilford, Sterling, Stillman Valley, Sycamore x2, Winnebago. This site will do 4 brackets of 6, then a rebracket to a top pair of parallel brackets of 4 (crossover one-game final) and 4 consolation brackets of 4. The top 4 teams will qualify for HSNCT.

Wheaton North, Über-Competitive (18): Auburn A, Auburn B, Carmel A, Fremd A, IMSA A, IMSA B, Latin A, Libertyville, Loyola A, Maine South A, Metea Valley A, New Trier, OPRF A, St. Ignatius A, Stevenson A, WWS A, Wauconda A, Wheaton North A. This division will do 3 brackets of 6, then a rebracket to 3 brackets of 6 without replaying the match against the team in the same bracket, for a total of 9 rounds. ACF-style finals will follow. The top 13 teams—that is, the entire top and second brackets, plus the top team from the bottom bracket—will qualify for HSNCT.

Wheaton North, Standard (64): Auburn C, Carmel B, Chicago Christian A, Chicago Christian B, Crete-Monee A, Crete-Monee B, Fenton A, Fenton B, Fenwick A, Fenwick B, Fenwick C, Fremd B, Fremd C, Geneva A, Geneva B, Glenbard East A, Glenbard East B, Glenbard North A, Glenbard North B, Hoffman Estates A, Hoffman Estates B, Homewood-Flossmoor A, Homewood-Flossmoor B, IMSA C, Joliet Catholic, Kaneland, Lake Zurich A, Lake Zurich B, Latin B, Leyden, Lisle, Loyola B, Loyola C, Maine South B, Marist A, Marist B, McHenry, Metea Valley B, Minooka A, Minooka B, Naperville North A, Naperville North B, Notre Dame, OPRF B, Oswego East A, Oswego East B, Rolling Meadows, Romeoville, Roycemore, St. Charles East, St. Ignatius B, St. Patrick A, St. Patrick B, St. Viator A, St. Viator B, Stevenson B, Timothy Christian, WWS B, Wauconda B, West Chicago, Wheaton Academy, Wheaton North B, Wheaton North C, Wheaton North D. This division will have 2 seeding rounds with approximately random matchups, followed by 6 rounds of power-matching. Because this is a lower division, no teams will qualify for HSNCT

I think Carbondale has about 6 teams, Centennial has 24, and PORTA has 24, but I'm not sure these numbers are still accurate and I don't know who the teams are. If I'm right about these numbers, the top team from Carbondale will qualify for HSNCT, and the top 4 teams from Centennial and PORTA will qualify.

Registration is closed at all sites; this post is just for the purposes of disseminating information and starting discussion.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: IHSSBCA Kickoff

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Sterling isn't using single elimination any more? That's a relief...

Do you know if every site is playing 20/20? Because last year at Sterling I didn't learn that they were using 16/16 until the day of the tournament and it kind of threw me a loop.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:Do you know if every site is playing 20/20? Because last year at Sterling I didn't learn that they were using 16/16 until the day of the tournament and it kind of threw me a loop.
According to the official rules for Kickoff and Turnabout, matches consist of 20 tossups and up to 20 bonuses. I will remind hosts of that.
Jonah Greenthal
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:Sterling isn't using single elimination any more? That's a relief...

Do you know if every site is playing 20/20? Because last year at Sterling I didn't learn that they were using 16/16 until the day of the tournament and it kind of threw me a loop.
Jonah and I have been in touch with Emily Johnson in order to prevent such disturbances.
Harpie's Feather Duster

Is there also going to be an effort to improve the stats coming from that tournament?
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

King of Carrot Flowers wrote:Is there also going to be an effort to improve the stats coming from that tournament?
After the tournament, I will take the scoresheets with me and enter the stats the next day.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

jonah wrote: Wheaton North, Über-Competitive (18): Auburn A, Auburn B, Carmel A, Fremd A, IMSA A, IMSA B, Latin A, Libertyville, Loyola A, Maine South A, Metea Valley A, New Trier, OPRF A, St. Ignatius A, Stevenson A, WWS A, Wauconda A, Wheaton North A. This division will do 3 brackets of 6, then a rebracket to 3 brackets of 6 without replaying the match against the team in the same bracket, for a total of 9 rounds. ACF-style finals will follow. The top 13 teams—that is, the entire top and second brackets, plus the top team from the bottom bracket—will qualify for HSNCT.

Wheaton North, Standard (64): Auburn C, Carmel B, Chicago Christian A, Chicago Christian B, Crete-Monee A, Crete-Monee B, Fenton A, Fenton B, Fenwick A, Fenwick B, Fenwick C, Fremd B, Fremd C, Geneva A, Geneva B, Glenbard East A, Glenbard East B, Glenbard North A, Glenbard North B, Hoffman Estates A, Hoffman Estates B, Homewood-Flossmoor A, Homewood-Flossmoor B, IMSA C, Joliet Catholic, Kaneland, Lake Zurich A, Lake Zurich B, Latin B, Leyden, Lisle, Loyola B, Loyola C, Maine South B, Marist A, Marist B, McHenry, Metea Valley B, Minooka A, Minooka B, Naperville North A, Naperville North B, Notre Dame, OPRF B, Oswego East A, Oswego East B, Rolling Meadows, Romeoville, Roycemore, St. Charles East, St. Ignatius B, St. Patrick A, St. Patrick B, St. Viator A, St. Viator B, Stevenson B, Timothy Christian, WWS B, Wauconda B, West Chicago, Wheaton Academy, Wheaton North B, Wheaton North C, Wheaton North D. This division will have 2 seeding rounds with approximately random matchups, followed by 6 rounds of power-matching. Because this is a lower division, no teams will qualify for HSNCT

I think Carbondale has about 6 teams, Centennial has 24, and PORTA has 24, but I'm not sure these numbers are still accurate and I don't know who the teams are. If I'm right about these numbers, the top team from Carbondale will qualify for HSNCT, and the top 4 teams from Centennial and PORTA will qualify.
Jonah/Lurking Jeff Hoppes or other NAQT member, what exactly would the nats qualification process be for this tournament? I know it's usually ceiling [.15n], but with the novice/varsity split is it the top .15 * (64+18) from the upper division meaning no lower division team can qualify or the top 15% from each division or what?
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Gus Honeybun wrote:
jonah wrote: Wheaton North, Über-Competitive (18): Auburn A, Auburn B, Carmel A, Fremd A, IMSA A, IMSA B, Latin A, Libertyville, Loyola A, Maine South A, Metea Valley A, New Trier, OPRF A, St. Ignatius A, Stevenson A, WWS A, Wauconda A, Wheaton North A. This division will do 3 brackets of 6, then a rebracket to 3 brackets of 6 without replaying the match against the team in the same bracket, for a total of 9 rounds. ACF-style finals will follow. The top 13 teams—that is, the entire top and second brackets, plus the top team from the bottom bracket—will qualify for HSNCT.

Jonah/Lurking Jeff Hoppes or other NAQT member, what exactly would the nats qualification process be for this tournament? I know it's usually ceiling [.15n], but with the novice/varsity split is it the top .15 * (64+18) from the upper division meaning no lower division team can qualify or the top 15% from each division or what?
As detailed here (and discussed with application to Wheaton North Kickoff above), the number of teams qualifying is ceiling(.15*total field size), which in this case is ceiling(.15*82) = ceiling(12.3) = 13, but they all come from the upper division.

I'm more interested to know what would happen if we still had 18 teams in the Über-Competitive Division but had 103 teams in Standard.
Jonah Greenthal
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

I'm surprised more teams haven't registered for Uber-competitive just for the chance of making the middle bracket and qualifying for HSNCT.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jonah has the qualification procedure correct above.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Wheaton Warrenville South A just beat Auburn A. What?
Jonah Greenthal
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

jonah wrote:Wheaton Warrenville South A just beat Auburn A. What?
Yeah, Lloyd told me they negged like six times.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

For those interested, IMSA cleared the field going 9-0. Stevenson I believe got 2nd after beating Loyola in a very close match. Auburn may have gotten 4th. Staaaaaaaaaaaats will be up later.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

At PORTA (In the division for class AA schools): We won and Springfield came in second. Third and fourth were Glenwood A and B (I don't know this for sure, but I assumed that A beat B).

There was a division for class A schools, but they were running at least a round behind us throughout the playoffs, so I don't have any idea how it turned out.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Wheaton North Über-Competitive Division statistics: prelims playoffs overall

Wheaton North Standard Division results: Lake Zurich A won. Runners-up were Fenton A, Kaneland, Wheaton North B, Stevenson B, Latin A, and one more I'm not sure of. Full stats for the Standard Division will be available eventually, but I have no idea when.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

By the way, the order of finish for the Wheaton North Über-Competitive Division is as follows:
1. IMSA A (cleared field)
2. Stevenson A (won tiebreaking match against Loyola A on tossup 21)
3. Loyola A
4T. Auburn A, Wheaton Warrenville South A
6. New Trier

7. IMSA B
8. Wheaton North A
9. Libertyville
10. Wauconda
11. Loyola B
12. Fremd A

13T. Maine South A (winner of the HSNCT berth as determined by playoff PPG of a 4-way playoff record tie at 3–2)
Teams above this line qualified for HSNCT.
13T. Carmel A, Oak Park-River Forest A, Auburn B
17. Metea Valley A
18. St. Ignatius A
Last edited by jonah on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
Harpie's Feather Duster

Belvidere North A went 9-0, winning a close final against Sycamore at Sterling. No clue about placement below that.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Sterling results:

1. Belvidere North A
2. Sycamore A
3. Marian Central
4. Rockford Boylan
5. Sterling
6. Stillman Valley
7. Dixon
8. Bettendorf (a two-man team)

Staaaaaaaaaats will be up after i recover from being up since 1am.
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

So Auburn and New Trier were missing people?
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Auburn was missing their second best player. For New Trier, that's pretty much what we got.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
gauss1181
Lulu

Post by gauss1181 »

Stats are up for the Wheaton North site.

Seeding Rounds

Official Rounds

Overall
Megan Chen
Illinois Math and Science Academy '12
Carnegie Mellon University '16
Paris Trouts - OSPL Round 6 Champions
Harpie's Feather Duster

Stats from the Sterling site have been up for a while, figured I might post them here.

Prelims
Playoffs
Overall
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Yikes, 19 teams under 10ppb?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Harpie's Feather Duster

Outside of a few teams, Northern Illinois needs a bit of work as far as good Quizbowl goes. For lots of teams at the Sterling site, the IHSSBCA's tournaments are the only good tournaments of the year.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Yikes, 19 teams under 10ppb?
In most of the games I read, 5-10 tossups went dead easily. In the most egregious example I think I've ever seen, from 9 bonuses a team controlled, 10 points were scored.