This Tournament Goes to Eleven (October 11th)

Old college threads.
walter12
Lulu

This Tournament Goes to Eleven (October 11th)

Post by walter12 »

The tenth annual This Tournament Goes to Eleven (TTGT11 X) is scheduled to take place at the University of Iowa on Saturday, October 11th. This will be an open event and, although packet submission is not required, it is strongly encouraged and will be handsomely compensated. I will once again be serving as the tournament’s chief editor, with help from Ray Anderson, Quentin Roeper, and Dwight Wynne. All questions and packet submissions should be sent to me at [email protected].

FORMAT:

TTGT11 is an Academic/Trash hybrid tournament. As with last year’s tournament, this year's projected distribution is 2/3 academic, 1/3 trash. Although all packets are in the standard format, with 20 tossups and 30 point bonuses, all packets are either "theme" or "subject" packets (see below for details).

Teams consist of between 2 and 8 competitors. Rounds consist of two packets being read simultaneously in two separate rooms, with the same two teams facing off in each room. The subject or theme of each packet is made known to all teams before each round begins, and it is the responsibility of the team to divide its players between the two rooms (with a maximum of four players per packet). Each room is then treated as an independent match, so for each round a team has the opportunity to go 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2.

FEES:

Base Fee: $200 per eight-player team

Discounts:
One Packet: -$20 by September 29th, -$40 by September 15th
Two Packets: -$40 by September 29th, -$80 by September 15th
Working Buzzers: -$10 per buzzer system (max two per team)
Additional Teams: -$30 for each team after the first
Travel Discount: $0.10 a mile for every mile over 100 (as determined by Yahoo Maps)

Minimum Fee: $80 per eight-player team

PACKETS:

Freelance Packets:
Freelance packets are greatly appreciated. So write a packet on your favourite subject or theme and help us produce the best tournament possible! Every year we seem to have a shortage of academic packets, especially science/literature/history subject packets, so packets of that nature are particularly appreciated. If you plan on writing a freelance packet it would be awesome if you could let us know the subject/theme of the packet in advance. No freelance packet will be turned away if received before September 29th, although we'll certainly accept packets after that date if we know their topic.

Theme Packets:
A theme packet is any packet with a distribution of questions from various fields of interest whose questions/answers all have something in common. Any team/freelance that would like to submit a theme packet for TTGT11 should follow the following loose distribution (for a total of 21/21):

4-5/4-5 Science
4-5/4-5 History
4-5/4-5 Literature
4-5/4-5 Misc. Academic
3/3 Trash/Current Events

Subject Packets:
A subject packet is any packet containing all questions on a single subject, like "Art History", "European Literature", or "College Football". Subject packets are free to include the occasional reference to outside areas, although all answers and majority of clues in each question should fit the subject. Make your subject as narrow or as broad as you like ("US History" and "19th Century American Social History" are both, on principal, acceptable). Just ensure that your subject is accessible enough so that the packet fulfils difficulty requirements.

Difficulty:
Due to the unusual format, difficulty is bound to vary somewhat between packets. No packet should be significantly more difficult than ACF/TRASH Regionals level. Target difficulty should be somewhere between Fall and Regionals level.

Question Format:
Tossups should be 4-6 lines long in 10 pt Times New Roman with 1" margins. We plan to use power tossups, so be sure to include appropriate power marks. As for bonuses, three part 10-10-10 are preferred although other formats are encouraged in moderation. Please try not to include more than one 30-20-10 bonus per packet, while list bonuses and bonuses with more than 4 parts should be completely avoided.

Packet Submission:
Submit all packets to [email protected] in .doc or .rtf format. All questions should be written in 10 pt. Times New Roman font with 1" margins. More specific formatting is not required.

MIRRORS:

UC-Irvine will once again be holding a West Coast mirror of the event on October 11th. We are currently seeking mirrors on the East Coast or in the Southeast, so if you’re from those areas and are interested in hosting just let me know. In previous years, we have merely required that mirrors supply eight total packets (written either by themselves or teams attending their site) by the late packet deadline.
Last edited by walter12 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Re: This Tournament Goes to Eleven (October 11th)

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

I may be missing something obvious, but why is the abbreviation TTGTT11 when there's only 3 t-words?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'm assuming that you've reversed the date for the packet discounts? As nice as it would be to be rewarded for submitting a later packet...
Andrew Watkins
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

Thanks. Original announcement corrected. Apparently I was in a bit of a stupor when I posted earlier.
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

As of now, TTGT11 is postponed indefinitely. If there is sufficient interest and an acceptable date, it is possible that we will hold the tournament sometime late next semester.

In place of TTGT11, we at Iowa will be mirroring FEUERBACH on October 11th (see seperate FEUERBACH thread for details).
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

walter12 wrote:As of now, TTGT11 is postponed indefinitely. If there is sufficient interest and an acceptable date, it is possible that we will hold the tournament sometime late next semester.
This is sad. I know there is heavy interest at Truman State for another TTGT11; it was one of our most enjoyable tournaments last year.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Matthias
Kimahri

Post by Matthias »

Is there a cause for the postponement? I share Truman's sadness as this has always been one of our favorite tournaments and I'd almost certainly be putting together some conglomeration of 8 players to attend.

~Matthias
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

There's another tournament on the same date at the same place.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hey, is this happening in the winter? If so, do tell us more.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I believe it was posted somewhere that this tournament is unofficially dead.