ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open/Novice (Aug16-17), Richmond

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open/Novice (Aug16-17), Richmond

Post by Matt Weiner »

Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond will be hosting two tournaments this summer, one on August 16 and one on August 17.

The August 16 tournament will be the VCU Summer Open, which will feature non-science questions written by me and science questions written by Billy Beyer. It will be around Chicago Open difficulty or slightly easier.

The August 17 tournament will be the VCU Summer Novice Tournament, which will use questions from the Irvine Novice/Zot Bowl, first taking place at UC-Irvine on June 28 ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5349 ). This tournament is advertised as "HSNCT difficulty." Packet submission is optional for teams at the VCU site; you can get a discount if you can write a packet in time (like, by the week of June 15 or so, not two days before the tournament) so talk to me about that and I will get the info from Dwight about what he wants from you.

Both tournaments are entirely open to any team of one to four players, regardless of who you are are or whether you go to the same school. This includes current collegiate players, current high school players, recent or not-so-recent alums of anyplace, whatever.

The Open tournament will put all teams into a common field. The Novice tournament may have separate Masters and Novice divisions if there is sufficient interest to make that viable. Edit 8/10/08: It doesn't look like there are enough true "novice" teams to bother with that.

To register, post in this thread or mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, your likely team roster, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. Make sure to specify if your registration is for both events or for just a particular one.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: Both tournaments will take place in the Hibbs Building on our Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus"). Please meet in room 403 of Hibbs no later than 8:30 in order to register on each day. Games may begin anytime after 8:30 so please do not be late.
-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-On weekends, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between $0 and $5 to park all day.
-Breakfast and lunch will not be provided on-site, but there are plenty of eateries within walking distance of the building, and you'll get a list of options at the tournament.

Games will be played under the official ACF rules. The tournament format will be a full round-robin, followed by a division into playoff groups if the RR alone does not provide everyone with ~12 games, followed by ACF-format finals.

The fees for EACH EVENT are as follows:
$100 base fee per team
-$10 discount per fully functional buzzer system (control box, power cord, and at least eight activators all work)
-$15 discount for a full-time competent and experienced moderator (if you play at one event and moderate at the other, you can claim this discount off your own team's fee at the one you play)
-$30 discount taken off your total fee (i.e., $15 discount each day) if the same team plays both tournaments (defined as the same person or institution writing the check for both tournaments).
-$30 or so discount for writing a packet for the Novice tournament (specifics available upon request)

The minimum fee per team is $50 per event or $100 for the weekend.

Financial arrangements will be handled by Quizbowl at VCU treasurer Andrew Alexander. All teams must pay him on the morning of the tournament, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to Andrew Alexander. Do not bring checks made out to Matt Weiner, to VCU, to "quizbowl," or so forth. We can't do anything with them, and you will be asked to pay us out of your own pocket if you bring unusable checks. Unless you have made a specific arrangement with me or Andrew, you must pay your full registration fee at or before the tournament. If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth.

--Matt Weiner, tournament director
[email protected]

A much more accurate picture of the team and staff situation (edited 8/10/08):

PLAYING BOTH DAYS

Brandeis: Guy Tabachnick, Steve Feldman, Jonathan Magin (Saturday only), Hannah Kirsch (Saturday only), Henry Gorman (Sunday only), Gaurav Kandlikar (Sunday only)
Chicago A: Paul Gauthier, Selene Koo, Seth Teitler (Saturday only)
Chicago B: Michael Arnold, Margo Egmont, Shantanu Jha, David Seal
Evan Silberman et al: Chris Carter, Evan Silberman, Bernadette Spencer, Will Butler
Ted Gioia et al: Ted Gioia, Andy Watkins, Eric Mukherjee (Saturday only), Jerry Vinokurov (Saturday only), Quint Carr (Sunday only), Dan Puma (Sunday only)
Maryland A: Jeremy Eaton, Andrew Lim, Clinton Rebello, Mike Bentley
Maryland B: Chris Ray, Rebecca Fischer, Leonard Chang, Keith Jamison
Minnesota: Andrew Hart, Brendan Byrne, Gautam Kandlikar, Trevor Davis
Not Maggie Walker: Sarah Angelo, Cameron Orth, Greg Tito, Tommy Casalaspi
George Berry et al: George Berry, Carsten Gehring, Zach Budryk, Eliza Urban
Josh Sokol et al: Josh Sokol, Sarah Stroud, Chris White (Saturday only)

PLAYING SATURDAY ONLY

South Carolina: Eric Douglass, Brynn Reinecke, Joey Montoya

PLAYING SUNDAY ONLY

Brice Russ et al: Brice Russ, Dan Goff
Not James Monroe: Chuhern Hwang, Huyen Nguyen, Will Seaver
Not Thomas Jefferson: Naren Tallapragada, Kevin Casto, Nishanth Parameswaran, Greyson Lewis

FREE AGENTS

Gaurav Kandlikar (Saturday only)
Henry Gorman (Saturday only)
Sam Peterson (coming?)
Quentin Roper (coming?)

STAFF

Emil Thomas Chuck (Saturday only)
Brice Russ (Saturday only)
Dan Goff (Saturday only)
Eric Mukherjee (Sunday only)
Jonathan Magin (Sunday only)
Hannah Kirsch (Sunday only)
Jerry Vinokurov (Sunday only)
Seth Teitler (Sunday only)
Andrew Feist
Katy Peters
Evan Adams
Andrew Alexander
Mark Zimmerman
Myself
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open & VCU Novice (August 16 + 17, 2008)

Post by Matt Weiner »

The inestimable Billy Beyer has agreed to write science for the VCU Open. Now you have no reason not to come.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Matt Weiner wrote:The inestimable Billy Beyer has agreed to write science for the VCU Open. Now you have no reason not to come.
unless your family wants to have you drive to missouri that week (which may lead to a guest appearance at the mirror)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Seriously?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Deesy Does It wrote:Seriously?
This is serious. I would not joke about this.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Matt Weiner wrote:It is possible that Saturday evening will feature some live playing of such popular quizbowl side events as ACF Pyramid, ACF World Series of Culture, or Quizbowler in Your Bed, depending on whether there is interest and we get done with the regular tournament efficiently.
Quizbowler in Your Bed sounds abhorrent. Can you explain what this is so as to derail our own perverse ideas?
Daniel Greenstein
University of Maryland (2000-2004)
Eleanor Roosevelt High School (1998-2000)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Dan Greenstein wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:It is possible that Saturday evening will feature some live playing of such popular quizbowl side events as ACF Pyramid, ACF World Series of Culture, or Quizbowler in Your Bed, depending on whether there is interest and we get done with the regular tournament efficiently.
Quizbowler in Your Bed sounds abhorrent. Can you explain what this is so as to derail our own perverse ideas?
It is like 20Q, but with the answer always a quizbowler, and you cannot ask appearance based questions.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

I'm on Ted's team for Sunday...
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

If there's any team that's interested in a free agent for Saturday only, there's a 50 percent chance I'm available- email at [email protected]. I definitely want to come, but logistical and time issues might prove insurmountable (I don't own a car, will be moving at some point around then, and grad school starts for me Monday the 18th). I should know for sure by the beginning of August.

I'm certainly too rusty to be of much use on most subjects, but might be useful if your team has a classical music-sized hole to fill.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Good news everyone!

I will actually be at this now, as my mom has agreed to let me take a bus from Kentucky to a tournament 10 miles from my house. I also happen to have some spare rooming if needed.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Harsh, George. Also, a team of Maggie Walker people will be playing in this tournament (day(s) TBD), but I think the school prefers us not to use that name for a non-school-sponsored event. Cameron Orth and I will be playing and contributing a packet (if Dwight still needs one; I only emailed him a little while ago), hopefully with help from Greg Tito and Tommy Casalaspi.

Edit: Dwight has confirmed that he could use another packet.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Alright, looks like my plan is to be on the Sokol/Stroud/etc. team for Saturday's tournament.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I will presumably be in need of a team for these. I can be expected to bring a cheery demeanor and possibly some answers. Email: [email protected]
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Just to clarify, Andy is the fourth player on my team for Sunday and is not playing with Carter/Silberman/Spencer. We are still looking for a fourth player for Saturday.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Magister Ludi wrote:Just to clarify, Andy is the fourth player on my team for Sunday and is not playing with Carter/Silberman/Spencer. We are still looking for a fourth player for Saturday.
That's what you think, Ted.

Edit: I will give you a pinecone and as many as three shiny rocks in exchange for Andy Watkins.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't know what the rest of Maryland is doing (I'm assuming they're sending at least one team), but it is probably unlikely that I will be able to attend. If I do end up moving later in the week, then it's possible I (and Brittany) might be able to attend the later rounds of the Saturday tournament and there's a very small possibility I might be able to attend Sunday's tournament. But for now it's looking like I'll probably be missing this.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

I probably will be attending depending on my work training schedule and am looking for a team to join.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I've got a family commitment on Saturday and won't be able to play in the Open. but I'm planning on playing on Sunday. I've got a potential teammate, but I'm waiting on him to confirm that he's coming before I say anything official.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

GoffmanProphecies wrote:I've got a family commitment on Saturday and won't be able to play in the Open. but I'm planning on playing on Sunday. I've got a potential teammate, but I'm waiting on him to confirm that he's coming before I say anything official.
That would be me; I'm about 90% sure that I can play on Sunday (and moderate on Saturday), but I'm waiting for my schedule for that week to finalize before I officially register. I should know in the next few days.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

BuzzerZen wrote:
Magister Ludi wrote:Just to clarify, Andy is the fourth player on my team for Sunday and is not playing with Carter/Silberman/Spencer. We are still looking for a fourth player for Saturday.
That's what you think, Ted.
No, that's what I think, given that Andy and Ted wrote a packet together.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

cvdwightw wrote: No, that's what I think, given that Andy and Ted wrote a packet together.
It's Evan! He was being combative on the internets. It's what he does.

No, seriously, I can confirm that I will in fact be playing with Ted, despite schemes involving me playing for them but me sitting out one round, et cetera.

In other news--if you have any feedback you have a burning desire to give on our packet, I'm sure both Ted and I would appreciate hearing it. I ended up writing on some unexpected subjects, and moreover I have a tough time thinking of "novice" level answers.
Andrew Watkins
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

everyday847 wrote:It's Evan! He was being combative on the internets. It's what he does.
Who, me?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Edit: tournament still on, see below.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bentley
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey for anyone in the chat the other night when I sort of announced I would write a side tournament for this, I actually won't be able to because I'm going to be busier than I planned with arranging my move out to the west coast. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.
sadface
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

BuzzerZen wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey for anyone in the chat the other night when I sort of announced I would write a side tournament for this, I actually won't be able to because I'm going to be busier than I planned with arranging my move out to the west coast. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.
sadface
Confirm. But I understand. Good luck out west Mike!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

CasanovaFrankenstein wrote:
GoffmanProphecies wrote:I've got a family commitment on Saturday and won't be able to play in the Open. but I'm planning on playing on Sunday. I've got a potential teammate, but I'm waiting on him to confirm that he's coming before I say anything official.
That would be me; I'm about 90% sure that I can play on Sunday (and moderate on Saturday), but I'm waiting for my schedule for that week to finalize before I officially register. I should know in the next few days.
Brice and I are indeed playing on Sunday. We're looking for a couple free agents to fill out the team, if anyone is interested.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

There will likely be some players/alumni from James Monroe, though not playing under our school's name. We'll probably only be able to play the Sunday tournament- me (Chuhern Hwang), Huyen Nguyen, Will Seaver, and a TBD last member. And we'll bring a buzzer set. I can be reached at chewy3326 at yahoo dot com.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

intothenegs wrote:There will likely be some players/alumni from James Monroe, though not playing under our school's name. We'll probably only be able to play the Sunday tournament- me (Chuhern Hwang), Huyen Nguyen, Will Seaver, and a TBD last member. And we'll bring a buzzer set. I can be reached at chewy3326 at yahoo dot com.
Awesome, I'll put you on the list. BTW, remember that you guys are invited to come to our practices on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Matt Weiner
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

People interested in teaming with me should contact me at georgeberryremovethistext292AThotmailSPAM.com
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

A team of Maggie Walker people consisting of Cameron Orth, Greg Tito, Tommy Casalaspi, and myself will be competing both days as The Pension Grillparzer (since the school will be annoyed if we compete with its name).
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

MLWGS-Gir wrote:The Pension Grillparzer
Somewhere, out there, a tossup that was written about The Pension Grillparzer for some post-Nationals tournament is being torn to bits.
Andrew Watkins
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

everyday847 wrote:
Somewhere, out there, a tossup that was written about The Pension Grillparzer for some post-Nationals tournament is being torn to bits.
Cameron and I managed to convince our 10th grade English teacher to let us (and a third, non-QB person) read World According to Garp for our "contemporary novels" unit. Best assignment ever.
Sam L,
PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Cameron and I managed to convince our 10th grade English teacher to let us (and a third, non-QB person) read World According to Garp for our "contemporary novels" unit. Best assignment ever.
That sounds pretty awesome.

My triumph was convincing my experimental lit teacher to let us read The Horse's Mouth. So good.
Andrew Watkins
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, just to clear up a question that several people asked me over the weekend: The difficulty of VCU Open will be a lot like the 2005 and 2006 editions of Chicago Open; in other words, not as hard as the 2008 edition. It's still going to be a pretty hard tournament, so don't give anyone the wrong idea as you entice them to come.
Matt Weiner
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

It's looking pretty likely that a Minnesota contingent is going to show up for this.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

There is nonzero probability of both myself and Eric coming to this (actually, I think Eric is planning to come anyway). More as the story develops.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I think Eric told me he's on the Gioia team for Saturday; perhaps he could elaborate in this thread so I can help everyone keep the team lineups straight.
Matt Weiner
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I suppose I'll offer myself up as a free agent for this. I am tentative until I find out if anything else is going on that weekend. E-mail at mrazvi-at-sas-dot-upenn-dot-edu.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I think 1-2 "Maryland" contingents will be coming down for the weekend.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Disregard what I said earlier, I still plan on conducting a side tournament on Saturday night. It will consist of roughly 25% meta, videogames, European History and visual fine arts. I am shooting for 100 questions (5 rounds of 20 tossups), but if I run out of time it could be less than that. The difficulty of this tournament will probably be high, although there ought to be some tossups in each of the categories that everyone can answer at the giveaway. As this is something of a novelty tournament, the distribution will probably be more what I'm interested in less than an attempt to balance these categories perfectly by subdistribution (although I'll try to make some effort to do this).

Because I doubt anyone really has a mastery over these subjects by themselves, I would like to set up some sort of teams for this event. Unless there is an overwhelming interest in the tournament, I'd like to work it out so there are 4 teams that could play a round robin and then have some sort of finals. I may do some sort of Gaddis-like draft for this tournament so I can easily put people on the right number of teams.

I'll post a full announcement for this tournament later.
Mike Bentley
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Disregard what I said earlier, I still plan on conducting a side tournament on Saturday night. It will consist of roughly 25% meta, videogames, European History and visual fine arts. I am shooting for 100 questions (5 rounds of 20 tossups), but if I run out of time it could be less than that. The difficulty of this tournament will probably be high, although there ought to be some tossups in each of the categories that everyone can answer at the giveaway. As this is something of a novelty tournament, the distribution will probably be more what I'm interested in less than an attempt to balance these categories perfectly by subdistribution (although I'll try to make some effort to do this).

Because I doubt anyone really has a mastery over these subjects by themselves, I would like to set up some sort of teams for this event. Unless there is an overwhelming interest in the tournament, I'd like to work it out so there are 4 teams that could play a round robin and then have some sort of finals. I may do some sort of Gaddis-like draft for this tournament so I can easily put people on the right number of teams.

I'll post a full announcement for this tournament later.
So, did you like read my mind and decide to write the tournament you found in there?!

If I end up showing up, I definitely want to play this thing.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

TJ would tentatively like to sign up one team for this. We have no idea what day we want to come yet, though, because we probably can't make both days. More details to follow, I guess.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT and call for staff: VCU Open/Novice (Aug16-17)

ok so at this point a Gehring/Berry/Budryk/Urban team will be appearing at this under some witty name to be appointed later.

Edit: for both events, as far as i know.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:ok so at this point a Gehring/Berry/Budryk/Urban team will be appearing at this under some witty name to be appointed later.
Both events?
Matt Weiner
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

I had planned to wait until I knew if I could make it or not, but I suppose now would be a good time to mention that IF Jerry works out his travel plans, I hope to catch a ride down and help out. Alternately, if his plans fail but some person or group is willing to wait and travel from DC late Fri night, I'll take the Chinatown bus that far and catch up with them there. Either way, I'll be there if I can.
Last edited by fleurdelivre on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

fleurdelivre wrote:I had planned to wait until I knew if I could make it or not, but I suppose now would be a good time to mention that IF Jerry works out his travel plans, I hope to catch a ride down and helping out. Alternately, if his plans fail but some person or group is willing to wait and travel from DC late Fri night, I'll take the Chinatown bus that far and catch up with them there. Either way, I'll be there if I can.
Please accept your new user rank with my gratitude.
Matt Weiner
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

fleurdelivre wrote:I had planned to wait until I knew if I could make it or not, but I suppose now would be a good time to mention that IF Jerry works out his travel plans, I hope to catch a ride down and helping out. Alternately, if his plans fail but some person or group is willing to wait and travel from DC late Fri night, I'll take the Chinatown bus that far and catch up with them there. Either way, I'll be there if I can.
You are kind of the best person in the world.

Also, I'm pretty sure that we have four people in a car coming from DC to Richmond on Saturday morning, if THAT would work out for you. I assume none of Chris and Bernadette and Silby are too terribly offensive.
Andrew Watkins
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

everyday847 wrote:
You are kind of the best person in the world.

Also, I'm pretty sure that we have four people in a car coming from DC to Richmond on Saturday morning, if THAT would work out for you. I assume none of Chris and Bernadette and Silby are too terribly offensive.
Yeah, if you can get to Pentagon City metro circa 7am on Saturday, I could probably bring you down. Shoot me an email, Katy.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Katy Peters: pretty awesome person.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I may not be nearly as awesome as Katy Peters, but I guess I'll piggyback on her post and say that I, too, would appreciate a ride down in a similar fashion.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/