Triple Elimination

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Triple Elimination

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Say a team was to host a tournament with a round robin and then the teams go into a triple elimination bracket, is this possible?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Triple Elimination

Post by Mike Bentley »

I imagine it would be easier for everyone if you just did a playoff round robin bracket than a complicated triple elimination system.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This would involve a lot of matches. With two teams, triple elimination requires five matches. The relationship between matches and teams is similar to logarithmic growth (meaning that the growth slows as the number of teams increase), but there are probably too many matches for it to matter. This might be a decent way to run a tournament with a total of four teams to start the day, perhaps a little bit more, but I don't think what you are suggesting is a good idea.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

I played around with it a little bit, and it looks like you could do eight teams in nine rounds, fewer than nine rounds if teams that lost during the round robin kept their losses so that they only needed one or two losses to be eliminated. Another problem with this system is that, no matter how many teams you have, if the top two teams consistently beat other teams but have inconsistent results against each other, then they play each other five times.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

ReinsteinD wrote:I played around with it a little bit, and it looks like you could do eight teams in nine rounds
Thanks for figuring that out. Which means...
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I imagine it would be easier for everyone if you just did a playoff round robin bracket than a complicated triple elimination system.
Since the latter option (RR) would take seven rounds, I concur with Mr. Bentley.

And if that doesn't suffice, I doubt anyone would feel shafted by double-elimination (or at least not significantly more so than with triple).
Noah
Georgia '08
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

again, I really don't see why you need to do this, given that other options require a less-ridiculous number of games and are less-confusing
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Also, triple-elim makes swiss pairing more difficult. Things I don't want to be more difficult: 1) Swiss pairing; 2) finding additional items for lists I make for rhetorical effect.
Andrew Watkins
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

And anyway, you'll have a lot of byes with triple-elimination, potentially.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

This idea sucks.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Chief Pride wrote:Say a team was to host a tournament with a round robin and then the teams go into a triple elimination bracket, is this possible?
Occam razor's rule of running tournaments: making the playoff format more complicated than your prelims is [dumb, insane, going to take forever].
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

ILoveReeses wrote:
Chief Pride wrote:Say a team was to host a tournament with a round robin and then the teams go into a triple elimination bracket, is this possible?
Occam razor's rule of running tournaments: making the playoff format more complicated than your prelims is [dumb, insane, going to take forever].
Really, you might as well run the playoffs with no-elim swiss pairing.
Andrew Watkins
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

everyday847 wrote:Really, you might as well run the playoffs with no-elim swiss pairing.
Somebody really likes swiss paring eh?

For most tournaments, unless you are like Brookwood with 100 teams, or you have some odd time constraints, there is no real reason not to do a (bracketed) RR followed by an advantaged final.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Stained Diviner
Auron

My opinion is that, unless a tournament is so small that every team can play every other team, the more you do some type of power matching/Swiss pairs the better. It's also a plus if it is impossible to be eliminated by one loss. However, as discussed above, it's generally necessary for teams to be eliminated by two losses.
David Reinstein